Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fostering

My Dog Brookie
January 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi Guys,
Has any one foster a dog before? I saw a program called ARF. Has any one heard of it? I want to learn more about fostering! If any one has info on fostering let me know.
Thanks
My Dog Brookie

BenMax
January 4th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have fostered 89 dogs and hundreds of cats over the past 16 years. It is one of the most rewarding things that I have ever done and will continue to do.

Contact the rescue to find out their policy on fostering. They will ask alot of questions to ensure that you are a good candidate. Do not be offended if you are declined.

Foster homes should be provided with food, medication (if required), and vet access in case required. Also, leash, collars or other accessories as well. Also, find out what their policy is if the foster does not intergrate in your home..will they take the animal back. If they do, do not be alarmed if they cannot do it immediately. Rescue groups are run by regular day working people who volunteer their time and energy into the wellbeing of their animals, adopters and foster homes.

The only down side to fostering is the attachment that you will have to the animal in question. You have to develop a tough skin to know when to let go but you must remember that what you are doing is giving the animal a chance to find a forever loving home and existance. You will be this animal's guardian angel for the time that he/she is with you. I have to tell you that this committment is not easy, but it is very rewarding. Some animals have 'baggage' that you have to help them through. It would be beneficial to know breeds and their limitations on expectations. It would also be good to read up on all breeds to know what you can handle and cannot. In order to be successful at fostering you must know alittle about training and also a little about how to help an animal overcome issues. Again it's all about patience.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.:thumbs up

14+kitties
January 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM
If you are intent on fostering your whole family needs to be on board. Seeing as you had asked in another thread about volunteering and mentioned you thought maybe you weren't old enough I am assuming you are a (pre)teen and live at home with your parents. Unless they are 110% behind you with fostering and will back you up then you will have to wait till you are older and on your own.
Now would be a great time to check into the volunteering at a shelter or even a rescue. I am sure there are some foster homes that would love to have someone come in and spend time with their cats/dogs and helping with their socialization. Google rescues in your area and see if any would be interested. Your parents would again have to be behind you in this endeavor. Good luck. :thumbs up

BenMax
January 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
If you are intent on fostering your whole family needs to be on board. Seeing as you had asked in another thread about volunteering and mentioned you thought maybe you weren't old enough I am assuming you are a (pre)teen and live at home with your parents. Unless they are 110% behind you with fostering and will back you up then you will have to wait till you are older and on your own.
Now would be a great time to check into the volunteering at a shelter or even a rescue. I am sure there are some foster homes that would love to have someone come in and spend time with their cats/dogs and helping with their socialization. Google rescues in your area and see if any would be interested. Your parents would again have to be behind you in this endeavor. Good luck. :thumbs up

ooooo...I missed that thread. Ok - definately puts a spin on fostering...but the good thing here is that there is a fine young person who may be able to assist in a few years time!:thumbs up

cell
January 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I tried fostering once and it was a disaster, my recommendation is not to take a dog in unless it is something you would consider adopting, if you can not handle a dog with issues do not take one, do not take something outside your skill/time/energy level or it is a set up for disaster where you have 2 options, to send the dog back or to live with the stress. That was my mistake and I would not make it again. So set a criteria on what you will accept otherwise you are likely to get the problems that no one else would accept. If you can handle it then fine but make sure you try and assess the situation before you get yourself into it.