Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spud had surgery today

cats+horse
January 3rd, 2011, 08:44 PM
Well, after days of peeing normally and a morning of playing and regular eating/drinking, Spud became fully blocked. I took him in right away, the vet found a full bladder and took him to surgery right away. He flushed him out 9 times before the crystals were fully (hopefully) removed :(

He is doing well at this point and we are hopeful to bring him home tomorrow. I am so upset with all of this because I thought we were on the right track with a diet of Wellness wet, but I guess it's back to the drawing board. He will need a careful monitoring of mineral levels for the next little while until we figure out what on earth is causing this.

I am feeling really bad and missing him right now :cry: Sherman knows something is up and is being extra cuddly. I also worry about the stress of the surgery and a hospital stay aggravating Spud's leukemia. I love my cuddly babies, but I am always so stressed out that after both of them go I think I am done with cats. :sick:

sugarcatmom
January 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Well, after days of peeing normally and a morning of playing and regular eating/drinking, Spud became fully blocked.
:eek: Oh no!! Sorry to hear that.

He flushed him out 9 times before the crystals were fully (hopefully) removed :(

Do you know what kind of crystals they were? Any other lab results, like urine ph, USG?

He will need a careful monitoring of mineral levels for the next little while until we figure out what on earth is causing this.

Can you monitor his urine ph at home with test-strips from a health food store? That might give you some clues.

I am feeling really bad and missing him right now :cry:
:grouphug: I so sympathize with you. Hopefully he can come home soon.

Love4himies
January 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I am so sorry to hear he became blocked :grouphug:. Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes: his way.

14+kitties
January 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Sending lots of :fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: your way. How upsetting for you. :grouphug:

Koteburo
January 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
How's Spud doing today? Hopefully good :)

GoreyDemented
January 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I hope your kitty is home with you soon!!!:party:

cats+horse
January 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks so much all for your concern; it means alot.

Spud just got home; he is playing/eating/being affectionate like nothing happened :shrug: Silly guy! He also just had a big pee in his box on his own; no straining but did lick himself afterwards...

He is now on an anti-spasmodic and painkillers for a few days. We are going to keep him on the Wellness wet diet for a week and then he goes in again to get a urine culture and pH test to see what on earth is going on.

I asked the vet about the type of crystal and the pH balance, but unfortunately the vet that discharged him was not the same vet as the one that did the surgery, so he could only read the notes and it mentioned nothing about that :confused: The vet did say though that the urine test next week may give more answers, and the surgery may have "salined" the urine so much anyway that the test would have been false.

Anyways *sigh* I'm glad Spud is home but not looking forward to playing "doctor" for the next little while, and REALLY hoping this does not reoccur :fingerscr

cats+horse
January 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM
sugarcatmom, how do I test at home? What kind of results am I looking for?

catlover2
January 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Just wondering if there are any stressors that may be causing this---- a new addition to the family (cat, dog or person), disputes over territory or resting places, being bullied by another cat or dog, change of routine in feeding or another person in the house? Often stress is the trigger and not the food.

Koteburo
January 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
So glad to hear Spud is doing fine. With your love and care he'll be fine :cloud9:

sugarcatmom
January 5th, 2011, 06:15 PM
sugarcatmom, how do I test at home? What kind of results am I looking for?

You can get ph test strips from a health food store. Look for one with a wide test range and half unit increments, like this one: http://www.ph-ion.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=205

Next step is to get a urine sample. If Spud isn't too shy about peeing in front of you, you can stalk him on the way to the litter box and slide a shallow jar lid (or large serving spoon) under his butt once he's started peeing. If that's not an option, other tricks would be to temporarily replace the litter with aquarium gravel, or cover his regular litter with some Saran Wrap. You don't need that much urine to be able to test it. I would try to get a test every few days, at different times of the day. It's normal for ph to fluctuate a fair amount, but what you don't want is for it to be consistently too high or too low. Normal for cats is about 6.0-6.5. Struvite crystals tend to form in alkaline urine, above 7.0, and calcium oxalate crystals form in overly acidic urine (5.5 and under).

Usually switching from plant-based dry food to meat-based wet food is enough to prevent struvite crystals, but for whatever reason some cats have trouble maintaining proper urine ph even when on an appropriate diet. There are supplements that can be added to food to help in those situations - however it's very important that urine ph be monitored to ensure things don't swing too widely in the other direction.

Catlover2 brought up a good point about stress, and since Spud is likely experiencing some stressful circumstances since the death of Yoshi and the change in living arrangements, that is something worth considering. Have you tried a Feliway diffuser before? The calming pheromones might help Spud.

cats+horse
January 9th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have thought from Day 1 that stress was the trigger of this problem, as it happened very soon after Yoshi's death and some daytime schedule and routine changes due to Spud's leukemia diagnosis. However, the vet and posters on this board were certain it was diet, so I have done a full-scale diet change. Hopefully, it IS mainly based on diet, and not stress, as I'm not sure HOW to minimize the stresses :wall:; the death of his brother is unchangeable, and the routine changes are necessary. Another thing: Spud presents as being the most laidback, unaffected cat on the planet (the vet was even saying he was purring and affectionate right after surgery), so it's hard to even gauge if a situation makes him anxious. I'll look into the Feliway though, maybe it will make a difference.

Sugarcatmom: the vet phoned to check up on us, and I asked about the urine pH. He said at the time of the surgery it was high, which based on what you are telling me, means the urine is not acidic enough? I will ask more questions on Weds when I take Spud in, but do you think that re-adding the Vets Best Urinary Tract Support to his diet is a good idea? And thanks for the info about the pH strips; that'll come in helpful.

sugarcatmom
January 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM
However, the vet and posters on this board were certain it was diet, so I have done a full-scale diet change.

Diet is ALWAYS a factor in overall health, one that we CAN control, so for me that's one of the first things to look at while we figure out what else might be going on. Just like in our own lives, we can't always eliminate or even minimize stress in our cat's lives, but thinking about things from a cat's perspective can sometimes give us an opportunity to make improvements.

Another thing: Spud presents as being the most laidback, unaffected cat on the planet (the vet was even saying he was purring and affectionate right after surgery),

That could as easily be from the drugs as anything else though :D.

Great that Spud is a laidback dude. That should help him in the long-run, although there's no downside to trying Feliway anyway (except maybe cost, depending on where you get it from).

I will ask more questions on Weds when I take Spud in, but do you think that re-adding the Vets Best Urinary Tract Support to his diet is a good idea?

I think there are better options, like L-methionine (an acidifying amino acid you can get at a health food store, and it's cheap). Ask for a copy of all the lab tests that they did while he was at the vet, and if they have any previous results on file as well, that can also be useful.

TeriM
January 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
SCM is definately the expert on nutrition here but I did want to add that my cat had a series of ongoing UTI while on Wellness canned that totally disappeared when I switched to raw. I think Wellness is a great food and supplement with it on occasion here but be aware that just because a food is great it might not be great for your specific cat :shrug:. There are other excellent canned products as well that I am sure SCM could point you towards.