Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

phantom itch

t.pettet
January 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
About 3 mos. ago I took in a grey & white short-haired female (spayed) approx. 3 yr. old cat who had been hanging around my place meowing and starving. Took her to my vet and had the top half of her ears surgically altered as they had at one point been frozen. They were folded over, bloody and oozing. She wore a cone for 2 weeks and healed nicely, but lately (for past week) she has been scratching and spending alot of time rubbing them. Took her back to vets and everything looked perfect but she continues to scratch at the missing top-half. Am wondering how safe Aloevera would be to rub into the surgical site or can someone suggest a soothing creme. Have named her Clara after a dear friend who has passed away.

sugarcatmom
January 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
A small amount of aloe vera gel (as long as it isn't preserved with sodium benzoate - Lily of the Desert is a good brand) would be fine. Calendula gel (http://boiron.ca/en/products/first-aid-sports/calendula-gel/) can also help with healing.

pbpatti
January 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
Do you think she may be experiencing phantom pain where her ear tips are missing. You can try to ease this by doing ear stokes, using two fingers (holding the ear between your fingers) start at the base of her ears and go past where the tip should be.

I am training to become a TTouch practioner and I have used these techniques on a Dobermans ears. Very interesting to say the least. He did respond to the touches. patti

t.pettet
January 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, it seems the more I touch the ears the more she fixates on them to the point she's scratching or rubbing them, so will try the gel for now. I've heard of amputees who still feel an itch or pain on the missing limb and wondering if she's going through that.

TrichC
February 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM
My cat has a skin tumor on her paw, which ruptured one of her paw pads, the vet recommended using Preparation H - checked it out and found nothing but good things, very basic ingredients and good for healing.

If the wounds have already healed completely it does sound like stress bathing - another fantastic habit my cat has - it could take awhile for your cat to get over the phantom pain but if you don't focus on it that might help. If they're worrying the ears, start scratching their back or belly, or grab a toy to play with.

Good luck to you and your little one :-) :cat: