Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello

judypopcorn
January 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hi - I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to sharing ideas and stories with you. I have six cats from 5 years old to 19 years old. They are all rescues. I founded a rescue group when I lived in NJ which is still going strong thanks to my co-founder Linda. We stay in touch every day.

I have a problem with one of my cats that I hope you can give me an opinion about. His name is Lester, he's about 12 years old. I've had him for six years after he came to my door in NJ.

He'd been treated for ear mites which now the vet says is not ear mites, it's an ear infection which I guess could have come from ear mites if he had them. However, six months ago when he was checked out I was told by the same vet it's NOT ear mites but just debris in his ear.

Anyway, he's been losing weight and because of scratching at his ear, developed an nasty sore between his ear and his right eye. This was treated with an ear wash, ointment for the wound (Endtederm), a shot of depo, and a "long lasting antibiotic" shot. The vet said he probably lost weight because his ear was making him not feel good.

Didn't seem to do much good because then his eye got infected, and then he got a giant ulcer and his eye was all red with pus coming out. So I took him to the vet again two weeks ago and he washed out his ears again and gave me ointment for his eye (Neo/Poly/Bac Ointment) and Amoxicillin.

Didn't do much good, the wound got better but his eye got worse. I took him back to the vet on Thursday. They washed both ears out, and gave me Clavomox and more ointment for his ears, a collar, and told me to continue with the eye ointment.

Now he doesn't want to eat, is totally depressed and looks horrible.

He also sometimes gags when he eats and drinks water. Before all this started he at times was licking his lips and shaking his head like he was trying to get a hair out of his mouth or something. I didn't worry too much about it because I thought he had a hair in his mouth.

Any ideas? I will probably take him to a different vet but really haven't had much luck with any of them out here. I'm really concerned about him.

Thanks, Judy

pbpatti
January 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Hi and welcome to pets. Sounds like you have a house full of furbabies..:)care to share pictures?:D patti

cpietra16
January 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Judy,
Antonio, my "obviouslyfailed" foster Kitty went through the same thing. Scratched until he was raw between his ear and eye (cheek area...sort of). Anyway, I thought he had an ear infection as well, but with further investigation, my vet found out that he had allergies. Once we experimented with food source, and environmental stuff to see what caused these allergies, and medicated him, everything went got back to normal (well nothing isnormal in antonio's life). Antonio has allergies once a year, during which he is medicated.

have you thought of allergies? Has the vet suggested allergies? It would be interesting to see what it can be...keep us posted. good luck.

chico2
January 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
judypopcorn,Welcome to our Forum,it's wonderful that you chose to rescue kitties rather than buying:thumbs up
I am sorry to read about your boy Lester:(,if he was given a 2 week antibiotic(convenia)it could be that it is what is making him sick,there has been some trouble associated with Convenia and cats.
Some cats have done well others not.

I really hope you find a good vet,that you are comfortable with:pray:
I don't know the timeline for Lesters meds,but is Amoxicillin not also an antibiotic??

Please keep us updated on how Lester is doing,it's always heartbreaking and scary when our kitties don't eat..:pray: