Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Here, a few questions about my new dog!

E46Racer
December 31st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hello!

First off, I want to say that I've owned a golden retriever in the past (had to put him down last year :cry:) and have trained 2 other goldens and a lab, which went well.

This week, my girlfriend stumbled upon a beautiful white husky/lab mix. She's a beauty! I was curious about their behavior so I did some research before actually going to check her out. Everything seemed fine, so we got her!

She's 8 weeks old, and has been a great dog so far. I've taught her the basics such as sit and down (she is extremely smart!), but I'm having some trouble with the potty training. I have been crating her at night in my bedroom, but she wakes me up twice a night! I try to not feed her after 9 or 10 pm at night, but I keep her active so shes always thirsty! This was not an issue with my golden, so any help (or patience??) would be great.

Secondly, I work long hours during the day and the above issue also makes me worry. I think about her all day when I'm gone at work. Luckily I have neighbors who are nice enough to let her out at lunch since they are on their off season (teachers). However, when they go back to work, then what? I work from 7am-5pm, come home and spend the rest of the night with her. Again, this was not an issue with my golden, so maybe she is taking longer to understand to hold it? Should I keep her crated and make her force herself to not go? Use peepads in the crate? or leave her in the bathroom and let her go while I'm not home?

Lastly, I know labs are notorious chewers, mixed with a husky who gets bored and I have a menace. My question is, she likes to chew on my fingers (like my golden did, very lightly as if shes not actually trying to bite down just play). Should I not allow this? What effect does this have on her when she becomes an adult? I am trying to avoid having an aggressive adult dog. I do keep her entertained most of the night, and have begun to socialize her with an Alaskan Klee Kai. Again, any advice would be awesome.. thank you in advance!

Here are some pics!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/miztuhdan/img_3154.jpg?t=1293816556

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/miztuhdan/img_3162.jpg?t=1293816555

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/miztuhdan/167653_480389142693_500317693_6499924_4638419_n.jp g?t=1293816556

LavenderRott
December 31st, 2010, 11:41 AM
She is just a baby. Expecting her to "hold it" for the whole night or all day while you are gone is a bit unreasonable. At her age, it is just not possible.

Sorry, you are going to have to be patient for a few more weeks. You might want to check into a nice dog-walker for a quick lunch time break for her.

She is darn cute.

E46Racer
December 31st, 2010, 12:36 PM
Thank you for the reply. I understand. However, will she get 'used' to waking up at 4am and continue the trend?

LavenderRott
December 31st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Well, she might. But by the time she is ready to be sleeping all night, she should be old enough to be in a puppy class and you can wear out her little mind before bed. That should help her sleep all night long. ;)

hazelrunpack
December 31st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Oh, she's a doll!! :flirt:

Yep, tuckering her out mentally and physically before bed will help as she gets older with that middle-of-the-night routine. :D

chico2
December 31st, 2010, 03:43 PM
OMG,what an adorable little pup:lovestruck:

TeriM
January 1st, 2011, 02:06 AM
Eight weeks is very young to be expecting successful potty training. Our pups took until about 12 weeks to sleep through the night and many dogs take much longer then that.

Here is a link to a great article on potty training. http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining The website is a great source of information for raising puppies from a very respected expert.

You might want to consider a setup for the first few months with an exercise pen and a potty area that has real grass sod for the pup to relieve herself. The noticeable change in surface area will make it easier to transition to full outdoor training.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

millitntanimist
January 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
A-dorable :)

Potty training - what everyone else has said, she's waaaay too young to be able to hold it yet. Don't worry about 4 am becoming a habit. All of the puppies I've known seem almost relieved themselves when they can make it through the night without needing to leave their comfy bed/crate ;)

Mouthing - is a really common puppy play behavior, but it's also not a behavior you want to encourage. As a rule, any behavior you don't want to see in your adult (within reason: obviously things like chewing are non-negotiable) you should start discouraging now so that you can stay consistent (i.e. face licking, jumping up). With the chewing, I find the best thing to do is re-direction. When she starts to mouth your hands, give a light "oops" and replace your hands with a stuffed toy or her favorite chew. Praise and play with her for a little bit. After all, the reason she is mouthing you in the first place is to get you to play with her ;)

Socialization - it's great that you are already thinking about it, all I'll say is more more more! Let her meet lots of different people (old, young, male, female) and lots of different dogs (with the caveat that they, of course, are friendly). Put her in lots of new situations (take her in the car, walk her across different floor textures, expose her to loud or abrupt noises - like a busy street with construction). Always make sure she seem's relatively calm, if she starts getting nervous you may have gone a little to far to fast. Just ramp her back to a situation you know she is comfortable in.
Most cities have at least one training school that will offer a puppy socialization class. Whether you plan to take her to obedience classes or not this is a great option! Playing with other pups will teach her bite inhibition and good dog social skills.

Good luck! :)

Longblades
January 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
I agree with all who stated she is far too young to be expected to hold her urine or faeces all night. Puppies differ though. Our first Lab WAS clean through the night from 7.5 weeks. The second not till 4.5 months. During that time our second gradually went from twice a night out (in winter with mega snowfall - DON'T GET LOCKED OUT, winter for you too?) to once a night to not at all.

Puppies generally need out far more often in the daytime. A rule of thumb is every hour or after waking up, after playing, after you coming home, after eating. I hope she is getting her meals at least three times a day? If not four? Only twice a day is too much food at once for a wee tum tum. :)

Generally, pups do not achieve complete control of their sphincters and urine output till about 6 months. SIX MONTHS. I am afraid even the lunch time outing is not enough for such a young puppy. You cannot expect your puppy to hold on even that long. She might be able to do it but you are risking UTI infection and possible urinary incontinence problems in older age. Thus, yes, I would leave pee pads or leave her with space to go in so she does not dirty her bed. Much, much more preferable would be more attention during the day or doggy daycare but with the latter you have to worry about vaccinations.

A rule of thumb for crating is one hour per month of age, plus an hour. Thus, for your puppy, less than 3 hours. Personally 3 hours is my limit for my dog no matter what his age. I used a crate, door always open, in a pen or gated in my kitchen. My kitchen did not get destroyed but many have, pen might be better. I made sure there was room to pee and poop and keep the crate clean.

Don't let her nibble your fingers now if you don't want her to when she is an adult. Sometimes it's not much fun for you having a puppy. My last was a nibbler. I swear the only time I got to cuddle him was when he was too tired to do anything other than sleep on my lap. There are ways to play though, that will not incite nipping, nibbling or biting. At least not on you. :)

She's a cutie-pie. Can't wait to see what she will look like as an adult.

rainbow
January 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
First of all, your little girl is absolutely gorgeous and we hope to see lots more pics of her as she is growing up. :cloud9:

Everyone has given you great advice and I just wanted to add another option. Have you thought about getting a petsitter and then sending her to daycare once her vaccines are completed while you are working during the day?

kigndano
January 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM
Youve gotten great advice, cute doggy too.

The rule of thumb that i heard when i was researching crate training was this:

The number of hours a dog can reasonably be expected to hold bowels is their age in months + 1.

So at 8 weeks (2 months) the longest reasonable time is 3 hours.

Something to keep in mind.

I think crate training is a great tool, and i used it myself with good success - there were setbacks and sometimes there is still the occasional accident, but it certainly works if applied consistently.

mirtilo
January 2nd, 2011, 01:56 AM
As everyone else has already mentioned, patience is the best route at this point. She's so young!

But I'm just here to tell you how BEAUTIFUL she is :D She's adorable now and she's going to grow up to be stunning.

E46Racer
January 5th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Thank you all for the responses, some great info.

One more question. My gf lives in a house and I live in a condo. When the dog stays over with me, I have to take her down 4 floors before she can go outside. I've been crating her at night and when she wakes me up, I feel the need to carry her so she doesn't potty in the hall on the way down. I've been pondering a few methods of training but haven't tried any yet. So far I've come up with a bell she can ring with her paw everytime I say outside, using pee pads and moving them closer to the door, praising her all the way down (while she is walking not me holding her) for not using the potty, and lastly investing in one of those training fake grass things. It's easy to train her at the house because I can just take her right outside if she needs to go or goes inside on accident. Any advice would be great, thank you again :D

I'll get more pics up soon :thumbs up

mona_b
January 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Awwww what a cutie.

First off, every dog is different. So you really shouldn't be comparing this pup with your past dogs.:)

Just a note about crating. If you crate in the night, then crating should not be done during the day. Just like if you crate in the day, then crating should not be done the night. If you crate both day and night, then that is far too much crating. So please keep that in mind.:)

Hmmmm let me get this right. You are gone for 10 hours, your pup is crated and only let out once? This really needs to change. Your pup is being made to "hold it" for far too long. Here is my suggestion. Block off your kitchen and puppy proof it. Put a blanket/bed in there. Have fresh water and either the pee pads or paper down, and have a kong filled with treats. You can even freeze it the night before. You can also freeze a raw bone. If you can't block off the kitchen, then get an x-pen. I have never crated. I am old fashioned I guess. LOL. My parents managed to raise the family dogs without it. And they turned out ok.:D

My daughter and future SIL have a 5 month old pup. They don't crate him. When they got him at 9 weeks they paper trained him. That lasted 2 1/2 weeks. He was learning to hold it longer. So the paper was no longer used. He is fully house trained. If he has an accident, It's their fault not his.

I am also sure that you already know to only socialize her with dogs you know that have been vaccinated.:)

Any pup(doesn't matter the breed) can be a chewer if given the chance. It is natural for puppies to mouth especially during teething which she is. Just give her a firm "NO". When she stops, give her a toy/kong and praise like crazy. Remember there are different stages of the mouthing. You are in the first stage(teething). And hopefully you won't get to the others. LOL.