Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not Getting Off to a Good Start

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 10:00 AM
I just started here yesterday and didn't see this intro page. I see that my first thread was deleted for a reason unknown to me. I must say I am a bit confused.

I live in Toronto--have 4 rescue pets (3 cats and 1 dog) and am actively involved as an animal shelter volunteer (at the Toronto Humane Society, and previously at the BC SPCA).

I'm not sure why my first thread was deleted. I can't see what would have been objectionable about it. I was really looking forward to joining this community.

Chris21711
December 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM
I never saw your first post LilMac ......

*****Thread deleted by Blackbear
Reason: Must be approved by Admin*****

This notation would lead me to believe that you were promoting "a rescue or product".....admin approval is necessary if this is the case.

shirley1011
December 31st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well no matter....welcome...look forward to seeing pictures of your rescue babies and hope you can join us in our forum.

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 10:33 AM
Ok now I am really confused. I tried posting a reply to this and it appears to have been deleted as well (unless there is a time delay). Am I missing something?

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Perhaps someone could communicate with me about what the issue is?? People are allowed to post pics of their rescue pets but posting a link to a video of them is not permitted? Even if those videos promote no products or rescue groups??

Chris21711
December 31st, 2010, 10:35 AM
If it was deleted it would show as such, maybe the cyber-gods played tricks, it happens at times.

Maybe you would like to repost your introduction and start anew....stick around there is lots of info on this board :thumbs up

Chris21711
December 31st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Perhaps someone could communicate with me about what the issue is?? People are allowed to post pics of their rescue pets but posting a link to a video of them is not permitted? Even if those videos promote no products or rescue groups??

It is permitted, maybe you would like to touch base with the Admin team and see if there is some issue...maybe just maybe it wasn't compatible with what the forum can handle :shrug:

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Ok, I will try again.

My beloved Lilly (who passed away in June):

My current rescue dog, Mac:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs3TmHCyuJU&feature=related

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Ok here are some pics of Mac and Lilly

Chris21711
December 31st, 2010, 10:54 AM
They are beautiful LilMac :cloud9:....there is a photo section on the forum, if you would like to post more with a little bit of bio on them :o

14+kitties
December 31st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Welcome LilMac. Sorry your first post was deleted. A bit confusing, no? It could be because as a first time poster you can't post a video. :shrug: I'm a bit confusled myself. But stick around and you'll see that's not unusual. :p
Lil was a beautiful girl. Mac is equally as handsome. Thanks for rescuing. :thumbs up

Capt. Jack
December 31st, 2010, 11:24 AM
I had to remove your video of Lilly because it requests donations to a local shelter. Requesting donations for anything rescue related must be approved by an administrator before being posted.

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
So out of curiosity, I must ask: then when you delete it, do you then submit it for approval or just delete it? Was I ever going to be notified and allowed an opportunity to seek such approval?

I mean for heaven's sake there is a tiny box on it that incidentally says that people can donate to the THS in her honour if they so wish (no one has done so). It is simply a video of my dog to promote a very nice message.

I find this extremely perplexing. That is clearly not the purpose of the video and purely incidental to it. It is no different than an obituary that happens to suggest a donation to a charity in lieu of flowers.

Capt. Jack
December 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM
As clearly stated in the forum rules:

All bulletin board posts (which include the signature at the end of the post) are for purely personal/non-commercial use only. Unless specifically approved by an Admin, promoting your own, or any other another business, website or cause either directly or indirectly is not permitted. If you are in doubt, ask first. Non-profit organizations like charities, shelters and rescues can obtain special permission but must ask first. Please do not post fund raisers or petitions without the Admins' prior approval. Please direct all such inquiries to marko( at )pets.ca

14+kitties
December 31st, 2010, 11:59 AM
In Pets.cas' defense LilMac (not that they need it from li'l ol' me) if one person was allowed to post, even a small donation box, then the argument would be why can't we all? In fairness to everyone it is the only correct thing to do.
There are a lot of people involved in rescue on this site. I hope this small setback won't stop you from joining in. :fingerscr
Could you redo the video and/or remove the "offending" part? :fingerscr

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing. It's not as if this site gets an overwhelming amount of traffic such that it would become unworkable. Why is indirectly promoting rescue and fundraising prohibited compared to the rest of what is permitted?

That having been said, I didn't come here to criticize this board. I simply misunderstood what it was about. Given how heavily involved I am in rescue, pretty much anything I would want to post would be "directly or indirectly promoting a rescue." I'm not really interested in just coming to a site just to talk about my own pets's issues. I was looking at the larger picture.

It was my mistake for which I apologize. It's just that this page is the most rule-heavy one that I have seen and it was quite difficult to navigate for me. I should not have posted.

I don't want to edit the video because I think it's a good thing that there might be someone out there who decides after watching it to donate to help another shelter dog as a result.

Thanks!

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 12:06 PM
I also see that the link has again been disabled in this thread. Could the moderators please just delete this entire thread? I am no longer interested. Thank you

14+kitties
December 31st, 2010, 12:13 PM
That having been said, I didn't come here to criticize this board. I simply misunderstood what it was about. Given how heavily involved I am in rescue, pretty much anything I would want to post would be "directly or indirectly promoting a rescue." I'm not really interested in just coming to a site just to talk about my own pets's issues. I was looking at the larger picture.

See, that's just the thing. Talking about rescue is pretty much what a lot of us do. Talking about it and asking for donations to a specific rescue/HS are entirely different. I am pretty involved with rescue myself :rolleyes: and talk about it as much as I can to try to get the message out there to adopt from shelters or rescues. It would be wonderful if you would stick around. You just never know the impact you may have on one person. Or more. We need all the help we can get to get our message out. Please don't let a rule that has been in place for a long time stop you from doing that.
We also try to help others out with issues with their pets such as feeding, minor health issues, training. All in all it is part and parcel of what Pets is. :thumbs up

LavenderRott
December 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing. It's not as if this site gets an overwhelming amount of traffic such that it would become unworkable. Why is indirectly promoting rescue and fundraising prohibited compared to the rest of what is permitted?

It was my mistake for which I apologize. It's just that this page is the most rule-heavy one that I have seen and it was quite difficult to navigate for me. I should not have posted.

I don't want to edit the video because I think it's a good thing that there might be someone out there who decides after watching it to donate to help another shelter dog as a result.

Thanks!

There are several forums for people who do rescue to tout their personal rescue and all of the available pets they have for adoption and all of the fundraisers they are having.

This forum has almost 40,000 members. Right this minute, there are 186 people here - 10 members, the rest are guests. The forum is owned by an individual or two and they are legally and solely responsible for what goes on here. I am fairly certain that the rules are in place for a very good reason, but then, I don't argue with Admin and the moderators. I also follow the rules.

Sorry if you feel unwelcome here. Having been a member for 7 or 8 years, I can tell you it is a great forum and lots of good is done for rescue here.

chico2
December 31st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Lilmac,I am really sorry you feel offended in any way,I would say at least 40% of our members are wonderful rescue people,in one way or the other.

Many,many dogs/cats have found homes here directly through our Forum and in some cases,requests for donations has been approved.

It's of course your choice to join us or not,I am just sorry you got the wrong impression of what we are all about.

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 12:21 PM
It really isn't about feeling unwelcome, or angry or anything. I just didn't realize beforehand the limitations of this board. As you have pointed out there are plenty of other boards more suited for what I wish to do (focus on rescue, etc). All I am saying is I made an error here and it's not the right place for me.

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Also, it's not like I posted the link to the Lilly fundraiser here. I made a deliberate choice not to since I assumed that might not be welcome. It just happens to be linked to my video by way of a comment.

I was posting a video of a dog that was very dear to me, who has passed away. That was the purpose.

marko
December 31st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi LilMac,

I'm the Admin round here and most people think I'm a nice dude. We have a BIG problem with spammers and scammers and that's why new members cannot simply join and post fundraisers promote businesses etc. All this of course is clearly written out in the rules but few people read them.

In general if you want to post a fundraiser (even if it's at the end of a video - it's still fundraising) just ask by Pming me. If you do not ask, the post gets deleted - not just yours, everyone's. This keeps the site full of information, not promotion. It also keeps it fair for veteran and brand new members.

We have a special place on this site for rescue and I have a special place in my heart for rescuers. But given the anonymous nature of the Net and the ulterior motives of some people, rules have been set up to protect our board and the people and pets that use it.

I hope you understand this reasoning and I hope you stick around :)

Thanks - Marko

LilMac
December 31st, 2010, 12:39 PM
I have no doubt that you are all fabulous. My concern is I did not post a fundraiser. I posted a video that incidentally has a comment that includes reference to a pre-existing fundraiser. Quite frankly, the fundraiser itself has been inactive for several months (she passed away in June) and it is a place for people to read about her story. Basically, it is a tribute to her. Techincally donations are still welcome, but hardly being pushed.

It is linked to everything I do, including the Mac video as well. I add the link to my personal email as my signature. If just having a reference to it makes it prohibited even though the purpose of the video is to share her story and to persuade people to consider adopting a senior or special needs dog (she was 13 and had terminal cancer when I adopted her--she had been tied to a bench overnight on a cold February night with a giant bleeding tumor--she required an immediate blood transfusion, and nearly had to have her leg amputated, yet she lived well beyond what was expected and was an absolute delight--as the video shows).

I think the best proof that the video isn't a fundraiser except for an incidental reference is the fact that it has 1700 views and no donations.

Capt. Jack
December 31st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Anyone openly debating the rules or guidelines we have set in place can be removed without warning. No complaining about the rules either. We have put a lot of time and effort into making this site run smoothly. Whining and complaining about the rules detracts from the primary goal of this board which is helping pet owners and helping pets. The Moderators that help run this site are very busy volunteers that work for free. If they ask you to do something do not fight with them, just listen. If you see your post vanish, live with it. If you see a member get banned live with it. Do not post about it, do not fight about it.

marko
December 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have approved your 1st post, if you wish to hang around here please just ask before posting fundraisers/promotion and all will be fine.

Thx - Marko