Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has trouble breathing...?(probably)

ShowGirl
December 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
So lately (like the last couple of weeks) I noticed that my cat has these times when she makes these noises and seems like either she has problems breathing or like she's going to vomit...
She looks just like she's going to vomit but nothing ever comes out, that's why I think it's something with her breathing...
It happens like once or twice a day and sometimes doesn't happen at all.
It never happened before and I have no idea what could of caused it.
The only 2 things changes in the past couple of weeks is the new dry food I bought, called "meow for more" , she had a hard time getting used to it in the beginning but now she eats it just fine, and I don't really think it could of caused it.
And 2- she started drinking ONLY the water from the tap in our bathroom, she absolutely WON'T drink the water from her bowl...
Now because it's cold the water's freezing...I think it might have something to do with her breathing/whatever it is problem.:/
she's 7 btw.

Please if anybody can help me!!!
(I'm not taking her to the vet because she goes nuts and she's really aggressive to other people, besides, she's not going to have that problem EXACTLY when she's there (the chances are low)

PLEASE HELP!!:pawprint:

sugarcatmom
December 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
my cat has these times when she makes these noises and seems like either she has problems breathing or like she's going to vomit...

There's an excellent website here: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/asthma/symptoms.html with a video of a cat having an asthma attack. Maybe your cat is doing something similar?

The only 2 things changes in the past couple of weeks is the new dry food I bought, called "meow for more" , she had a hard time getting used to it in the beginning but now she eats it just fine, and I don't really think it could of caused it.

Whether it's the cause or not (and it could be, because asthma is allergy related, and dry food is highly allergenic), it would be a really really good idea to stop feeding kibble and switch to a more species-appropriate wet food. More info on diet here: www.catinfo.org

(I'm not taking her to the vet because she goes nuts and she's really aggressive to other people, besides, she's not going to have that problem EXACTLY when she's there (the chances are low)

When was the last time she was at the vet? A good vet should know how to handle an upset cat. While she may not show the same symptoms, there are tests the vet can do (like x-rays and/or tracheal wash) that can help with diagnosis. If she does have asthma, it can be life-threatening. It can also be managed with proper medication, a good diet, and minimizing environmental triggers like scented clay cat litter, laundry detergents and cleaning products. Hepa air filters may also help.

Of course it could also just be a hairball that she's having trouble getting out. Again, a better diet should help. Giving her a 1/4 tsp of butter or some other hairball products like Vets Best Cat Lube or Vetbasis Hairball Gel everyday could be useful. There are lots of horrible hairball products out there though, so read the ingredients before you buy them. Stay away from ones with petroleum and mineral oil.

Good luck!

14+kitties
December 29th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hmmm, you won't take the cat to the vets but you want us to diagnose? We can't do that for you. We are not vets and can not diagnose. There are so so many reasons why a cat would make that noise and sound like she's having issues breathing. Possibilities include but are definitely not all - hair ball, food stuck in windpipe (more likely with crappy dry food than with canned), asthma (very very serious), choking on really cold water. So if we told you it's ok, she's only passing a hair ball and then it turns out she was really suffering from a much more serious case of asthma how would you feel?
You really need to take your cat to the vet to find out the cause. I agree she may not "do it" while at the vet but they could rule out a lot of different issues by examing her. Vets are used to handling unruly patients. Some vets in fact specialize in it. Also, just because she is like that at home she could turn the exact opposite at the vets. I have quite a few cats that are like that.
All we can tell you is to take your girl to the vet to be checked out. One thing that will help is to videotape your kitty doing the "choking thing" and taking it with you to the vets. That way s/he will see exactly what's going on.

Love4himies
December 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
You have gotten very good recommendations. If you have a chance, video your cat and take the video on a memory stick to the vets with you so your vet can view what your kitty is doing.