Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden Lab? What the heck is it?

cassiek
December 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

Hope everyone's been doing well! I haven't been on much lately because my SO and I bought a house and have been busy moving. :)

Anyways, I've been curious for some time now... what the heck is a 'Golden Lab'? I hear people use the description often... is it a Golden Retriever X Lab? A fancy name for a Yellow Lab? Or something else altogether?

From my understanding labs only come in yellow, black, or brown colors, is 'Golden' just a fancy name some people are using for a Yellow Lab?

Thanks!

Cassie

Frenchy
December 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
is it a Golden Retriever X Lab?

That's exactly it , it's just a Golden mix with a Labrador. :dog:

cassiek
December 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
That's exactly it , it's just a Golden mix with a Labrador. :dog:

That's what I figured Frenchy. I thought it was likely just a 'fancy' name for a golden retriever crossed with a lab. Is it like the 'labradoodles', 'morkies', 'chorkies' etc. that BYB's and pet stores are giving fancy sounding names to mutts to make them more desirable?

Frenchy
December 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM
That's what I figured Frenchy. I thought it was likely just a 'fancy' name for a golden retriever crossed with a lab. Is it like the 'labradoodles', 'morkies', 'chorkies' etc. that BYB's and pet stores are giving fancy sounding names to mutts to make them more desirable?

Yep , people think they're getting a "new breed" but all it is , is a mutt ! :shrug: don't get me wrong , mutts are ok but , there's enough breeds out there right now , and enough unwanted dogs in shelters , without having to create more and , charging a fortune for them !!

rainbow
December 29th, 2010, 02:06 PM
There are only three labrador retriever colours which are black, chocolate and yellow. The yellow can vary from a very light cream colour to a dark and even reddish yellow. I think some people mistakenly call the darker yellow labs a golden lab which is incorrect.

rainbow
December 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Yep , people think they're getting a "new breed" but all it is , is a mutt ! :shrug: don't get me wrong , mutts are ok but , there's enough breeds out there right now , and enough unwanted dogs in shelters , without having to create more and , charging a fortune for them !!

No, it's not a mutt if it's a purebred yellow lab that has the darker yellow fur and just being incorrectly called that.

rainbow
December 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Here's a website that explains the yellow labrador ....

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellows.html

Frenchy
December 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
No, it's not a mutt if it's a purebred yellow lab that has the darker yellow fur and just being incorrectly called that.

I was talking about Golden Retriever X Lab.

rainbow
December 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I was talking about Golden Retriever X Lab.

Sorry Frenchy, I guess I misunderstood. :shrug:

I just wish people wouldn't use the term golden lab when it is really a purebred yellow lab in a darker shade of yellow.

cassiek
December 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM

I could not agree more Frenchy. I love mutts but find it incredibly ****ty for lack of a better word, that pet stores, BYB's, etc. give mutts a fancy name in order to sell more :frustrated: what's even more frustrating is the sheer quantity of people that fall for it and proudly boast they paid outrageous amounts for a MUTT! :wall: There are tons of lab X's, maltese X's, etc. in shelters that need homes!

There are only three labrador retriever colours which are black, chocolate and yellow. The yellow can vary from a very light cream colour to a dark and even reddish yellow. I think some people mistakenly call the darker yellow labs a golden lab which is incorrect.

This is so true, rainbow! I think some people are just incorrectly calling their yellow lab which is very golden in color a "Golden Lab"

Sorry Frenchy, I guess I misunderstood. :shrug:

I just wish people wouldn't use the term golden lab when it is really a purebred yellow lab in a darker shade of yellow.

Agreed! :thumbs up