Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

After effects of a seizure.

Boeriemore
December 29th, 2010, 02:07 AM
My Dachshund (Wilbur) suffers from epileptic fits.
I am aware that after a fit a dog is likely to be disorientated and confused.
It took me a while to appreciate what this means and how dangerous this can be.
On Christmas day, after recovering from a fit, I went to touch him and he jumped back like he did not know me. Later, while he was sitting on top of
a 2 metre (six feet) wall in the yard I called him to come into the house.
Instead of running down the steps to the concrete floor below, be jumped
off the wall edge onto the the concrete below, like he had never been there before and was not aware of the steps which he has used throughout his life of five years.
During a fit the jerking of his body often results in muscular injuries.
Once, he could not walk as his back was injured from falling during a fit.

The Christmas day fit resulted in his having vomiting bouts throughout the day, like he was trying to bring up phelm, but nothing came out his mouth except some froth - 12 hours later this "froth" had blood in it.
The Vet believes this coughing/vomiting is caused by muscular pain and
prescribed muscle relaxants.

To control the frequency of the fits Wilbur is being given a double dosage of Phenacarb.
Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Any advice would be
appreciated.

Goldfields
December 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Boeriemore, I have had one Australian Cattle Dog have 5 Grand mal seizures in a day, stopped by using valium and then getting her onto phenomav permanently, she had no further seizures. It is very hard physically on a person or animal and I think that while you need to monitor what it happening and stop the dog from hurting itself through contact with its surroundings, on the whole it might be best to stay quiet and don't touch it. We noticed it didn't take much disturbance to start Susie seizing again. They most likely have temporary vision problems too. We have another dog seizing at the moment but his fits are so far apart and over so quickly that we aren't medicating him (yet). He's due a trip to the vet for a complete check up ASAP. This time he staggered and collapsed, vomited a small amount, paddled with his feet, but by the time I got to him, he was coming out of it. Once he recovered he was put somewhere quiet and dark for the day. Do you have a safe area for Wilbur to recuperate in. A crate or cage, a room he's used to? It must have been very alarming to have him leap off the wall.

14+kitties
December 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
My old girl has been having seizures since she has been a year old. She is 16.5 now. They are infrequent at times. Other times not. As in she can go a few months without having one and then have 4, 5 or 6 in quick succession. I found the best thing to do is to monitor her activity for at least a few hours afterward to make positively sure she is not suffering any ill effects. She is very tired afterwards and just wants to sleep for the most part. I just make sure she has a pee and let her sleep most of the effects off.
Good luck. It sometimes takes a while to regulate the meds from what I've been told.

Boeriemore
December 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the imput, folks.
Wilbur also may have two fits in one day, then be free for a few months.
I can only account for what happens when I am at home.
I can't vouch for what happens when I'm at work during the week.
The only signs that I get then that he has during the day had a fit, is if
he occasionally starts couching (trying to vomit)

Goldfields, your post mentions the use of valium. My Vet also said this could become an option if his condition does not improve. Can you please provide
more info on it's use? Obviously the dog's weight would determine the required dosage.

While potassium bromide is often mentioned on the net, my Vet seems reluctant to introduce this to the existing medication because of the possible adverse side effects.

Goldfields
December 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Boeriemore, Susie had 4 seizures that I saw, possibly more during the (previous) night, yet the vet was reluctant to give her phenomav. He gave me valium to be given with a syringe(no needle) via the rectum, where it works very quickly, if we saw her starting to fit again. I did use it to head off a 5th seizure. She would start blinking and flinching before she started to seize, easy to see when she was going again. This vet was not her usual vet and when I took her to him, he did put her on Phenomav. I should point out though that she was not an epileptic as such. This happened when she was an aged dog. She had bleeding from a gastric ulcer, and it was the pain from the ulcer that caused her seizures. We later found she had a mast cell tumour and, when I Googled that, one interesting fact is that such tumours can release chemicals that cause gastric ulcers. One of those vets did say though that too many seizures develop pathways in the brain that allow them to go on seizing, which is why we opted to put her on phenomav permanently. She had no further trouble ( because of that??).

aarnat
December 31st, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have a pekignese who's had seizures since she was 2. She'd have grand mal seizures sometimes lasting hours (not joking). Her seizures are to the extent that she starts convulsing and twisting and literally rolls around the floor... but it worries me that she's actually hurting herself doing this so I always hold her during fits. I let her move as needed, but I know if I leave her on the ground, she can and very likely will get injured. She's small however, so I realize this isn't a good approach for everyone.

On to your question of recovery. She has often had some where she came to and it was like nothing happened. More often though she is just tired and sleeps for a good few hours. The last time she had seizures was really bad... she had 3 in a day. She was staying at my parents for a day to get a trim from my dad... my sister in law brought her sister's dog over (contact with any animals other then my own causes enormous stress AND seizures, literally). When I brought her home, eventhough she'd lived with my 3 other pets for years.. she acted as though she didn't know them. She attacked my cats, territorial of her bed when she'd usually have no issue cuddling up with them in there all together. She also showed some agression towards me as though she had no idea who I was after 13 years. Anyway, this didn't last.. but it took a LONG time for her to get over it. It was as though she was getting fragments back at a time until she recognized us all and wasn't agressive anymore. She's actually never agressive anymore at all when she used to show a bit of it with her food and the other pets. I think all in all, about 2 months..

I'm not sure what you're feeding your pup but I know for a fact what causes my dog's seizures. 1) excitement of any kind. She needs a very unstimulating environment. 2) food. Specifically, bad food. And more specifically is food dye (known to cause seizures) and preservatives.

My dog is now on a freeze dried food that is suitable for human consumption and actually smells really good (it's tempting to try it.. it just smells that good lol). Best thing ever. No seizures since she's been on it except the last one.. about 6 or more months ago (she actually might not have been on this food then). She doesn't get treats unless we get some home-made hollistic treats that contain no trace of preservatives and food dyes. I'm very picky, but my dog actually has more energy now then ever before.

The vet tried to put my dog on pills. No change. He told me she wasn't epileptic because her blood work was normal. .... I hear ducks. :laughing:

Her diet is what caused her seizures to stop. I don't have her on any meds. I know that there are some conditions however that do require the meds and no diet will help. My dog is prone to seizures, but the food just propelled it to a rediculous extreme... it's a wonder how they sell some of that crap :confused:

sugarcatmom
December 31st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Here's an excellent website with tons of info on seizures in dogs: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm
Note that vaccinations can be a cause.