Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loss of appetite, blood work normal, x-rays normal

trueakitalover
December 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hi,

I have taken my 10 year old Akita to the Emergency Vet several times since Christmas Eve. The only thing that is elevated in her blood work is her glucosamine and her Liver Enzymes. The vet said it could be due to stress of being in the clinic.

I had noticed that she was not moving Christmas Eve morning and was panting extremely hard and wasn't moving around the way she would normally do. she was not eating or drinking like she usually does.

She had a bowel movement at the clinic that day. She was lethargic.

They said she has arthritis in her spine and this is it.

Would this really cause a dog to become to the point of where she doesn't want to eat or move though?

I am waiting to get a second opinion by my vet since my vet was closed on Christmas EVE and all weekend and we got blasted with a winter storm.

Any advice on how to entice her to eat would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't even want the rice and chicken. She will eat a jar of baby food.

They put her on 50mgs of Tramadol also. She weighs 99 lbs currently. I am a nervous and upset mommy right now with her. I am worried about her I keep feeding her ever 2.5 -3 hours and making sure she drinks water. She doesn't want to get up though I know she is in pain in her rear legs. She moves ever so slowly.

sugarcatmom
December 26th, 2010, 10:47 PM
The only thing that is elevated in her blood work is her glucosamine and her Liver Enzymes. The vet said it could be due to stress of being in the clinic.

I think you mean elevated glucose, not glucosamine. Did the vet test her blood for ketones? Stress-induced hyperglycemia is much less common in dogs than cats, and the fact that her liver values are elevated would point more to diabetes than stress.

I'd be very concerned about her not eating right now, as that could be both a symptom and a cause of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a life-threatening complication of unregulated diabetes. I'd be inclined to take her back to the emergency clinic and have them test for ketones, as well as send the blood work for a fructosamine test (which shows an average of blood glucose levels over a couple weeks, much more accurate for diagnosing diabetes).