Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog isn't eating and is farting a lot

roninkoneko
December 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM
hi, I have a 16 year old laborador, and he's been not eating normally for about 3 days, he's picking at his food, and tonight ate maybe half his normal amount. his stomach is slightly swollen, and he's farting a lot. and by farting I mean frequently and it smells really really bad... He seems fine otherwise, he's moving around as much as he normally does, alert, doesn't seem to be in pain, going outside to use the bathroom, though I don't know for sure that he pooped since yesterday, he's a shy pooper, and won't do his business if he knows I'm watching him. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be, I was afraid it might be bloat, but everything I've found says if it was he would have thrown up after eating, and probably wouldn't be farting. Any help is appreciated, I'm worried, but I don't have money to take him to a vet...I'm really poor and just got through my cat having a urinary blockage so I'm strapped for cash...

sugarcatmom
December 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Any help is appreciated, I'm worried, but I don't have money to take him to a vet...

Because older dogs can go downhill so fast, I would urge you to find a way to get him seen by a vet. Here's a link with some ideas on how to do that: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

I'm really poor and just got through my cat having a urinary blockage so I'm strapped for cash...

One thing I can help you with is your cat. Most importantly, eliminate ALL kibble from his diet. Feeding wet food (even if all you can afford is Friskies or 9-Lives) is absolutely imperative in order to prevent this from happening again. Don't buy the prescription vet foods, which are overpriced and filled with poor quality ingredients. WATER is the most essential ingredient. Please read this link, it could save your cat's life, and save you $$$ in future vet bills: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

MaxaLisa
December 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
It sounds like bloat, and perhaps at this point, no torsion.

Best thing is to take to a vet. BUT, if he is expelling gas, I would do a few things...

Extended fast (no food while in this condition), Gas-X, later charcoal capsules, and lots of walking.

If that doesn't help, to the vet ASAP, might be a partial obstruction which will ultimately be fatal. If that does help, then I would look at the food your feeding, or maybe there is something like a bacteria issue.