Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat hasn't pooped in two days?

Equestrienne
December 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Anyway, my 8 month old cat hasn't pooped in two days. I know this is not normal for her, since she poops at least once a day. On Tuesday she was spayed, and the Vet said not to give her food or water after 10pm Monday night. On Tuesday she pooped in the morning, and that was the last time she went. Since its now Thursday, and I'm running out of ideas on how to help her.

She's eating, drinking, and also urinating like normal. But she hasn't pooped. And I'm getting worried about her.

She normally eats Friskies Dry Food, but since she's hasn't poop, I'm gradually switching her over to Friskies wet food. To see if it helps her.

What else can I do to help her?

sugarcatmom
December 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
2 days without poopin' may not be that unusual given the circumstances. Wet food is a good idea (I would ditch the dry, forever), and perhaps maybe add a tsp of plain canned pumpkin or some butternut squash baby food. If she hasn't pooped by sometime tomorrow, maybe give the vet a yodel. But I'll bet she goes soon....

Equestrienne
December 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
2 days without poopin' may not be that unusual given the circumstances. Wet food is a good idea (I would ditch the dry, forever), and perhaps maybe add a tsp of plain canned pumpkin or some butternut squash baby food. If she hasn't pooped by sometime tomorrow, maybe give the vet a yodel. But I'll bet she goes soon....

Thanks for the reply. But what's wrong with dry food, if I may ask? I used to feed my other adult cat Rebbeca, BLUE Longevity, but then a last month I noticed they keep changing the shape of the food. And I noticed my cat was eating less of it, until finally she refused to eat it. Now she eats Friskies with the other my younger cat, Maxi.

Yes, but I'm hoping my other cat Maxi, goes poop sometime today or tomorrow. I can't afford another trip to the vet this month. Her spay surgery cost way more than I expected.

sugarcatmom
December 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. But what's wrong with dry food, if I may ask?

I'm so glad you asked! The biggest issues with feeding cats dry food are:

The lack of moisture. Cats evolved as desert animals, getting most if not all of their water requirements met through the consumption of fresh juicy prey. Kibble has less than 10% moisture, while canned food has 60-80% moisture, which is more in line with their evolutionary diet. A dry food diet results in chronic dehydration because cats naturally have a low thirst drive. That in turn can cause constipation, bladder and urinary tract issues, and kidney disease down the road.

The inappropriate ingredients. Cats are obligate carnivores. Meat is what they need, and kibble has a lot of stuff besides meat. Just take a look at the ingredients on that bag of Friskies :yuck:. Too many carbohydrates in the form of starchy grains (swapped for potatoes in the latest trend of "grain-free" kibble), which are needed to maintain the kibble shape. A lifetime of excessive carb intake in an animal not designed to eat it can result in diabetes, allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, dental disease, constipation, and FLUTD.

For more detailed info, please check out this site on what cats should and shouldn't be eating: www.catinfo.org It's a real eye-opener, and could save you tons of money in vet bills down the road.