Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House training regression

friendlygal
December 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and I have read some posts, and see some wonderful advice. I am hoping you can all give me some advice. I just bought a 12 wk old German Shorthaired Pointer (Max) almost 2 weeks ago from a breeder, so he was crate trained, however, I want him housetrained. So, I took the advice of a trainer (he is signed up for obediance training in the new year), and placed a bell on my back door, so that he will know to ring the bell when he needs to go out. Anyhow, the training was going so well, that within a week of having him, he was already ringing the bell with his nose on his own to go outside to do his business, and was only having one or two accidents at the most in the house, and never poops in the house. However, my problem is, the last few days, he has regressed and has been peeing like crazy in the house! I am at my wits end. I have been cleaning with special carpet shampoo to rid of the scent. I've been firmly telling him NO when he does it then leading him outside. I have been taking him out after meals, when he wakes up, etc. Its almost like he is doing it out of spite, lol. I mean he will pee 5 min after he has just peed. Then again 5 min after that. I just don't know what to do anymore. He was at the vets 3 days ago and had a clean bill of health. Help!!! Any tips for me??? I swear, my hair is going grey faster than humanly possible, lol!! :confused:

BenMax
December 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
This is a puppy. Children go through the same regression. There is no difference and the key is patience and reassurance.

Do you take your dog physically outside with you to use the outdoors? Do you praise when he does go outside?

millitntanimist
December 23rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Peeing with that frequency sounds like it could be a UTI. Vet check?

BenMax
December 23rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Peeing with that frequency sounds like it could be a UTI. Vet check?

Good point.:thumbs up

friendlygal
December 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hi there, thank you both for your quick replies! I truly appreciate it. I thought about the possibility of a UTI, but then sometimes he will do it a few minutes apart, then the next day, he does not, so not typical of a UTI at all. In regards to praise, I praise him up and down like crazy...tons of hugs and kisses, and also about 12 pieces of kibble. It has gotten to the point, where when he does go pee outside, he runs straight upstairs to the food cupboard and waits there as he knows he will get his love/hugs/and reward, lol. Sometimes I go outside with him, sometimes I don't, but I always stand at the door, and he keeps an eye on me. I don't leave him. He always goes pee when he is out there, so I know it isn't that he is just going outside adventuring, then back inside to eliminate. He eliminates about 5 feet outside my door. He never has poop accidents in the house. He rings the bell on the door when he has to poop. When I catch him peeing in the house if I scream NO he stops midstream and runs to the back door. So he knows its wrong, and he knows where to go. I mean, last week, he was faithfully ringing the bell and peeing outside, with only 1 accident per day, so I don't understand the regression. The last couple days have been sooo bad, I bet he has had about 8-9 accidents per day....My beautiful carpets are terrible... He is eating his poop every chance he gets, so I have to stand there and tell him NO everytime I see him start to grab for one. I am so new at this. My last dog lived to be 14, Bless is soul, and when he was a pup, he never did any of this.... So, I am a beginner at all of this. I taught this pup to sit in one evening, and he is an expert at it. I really want to make this work. He is so loveable, and precious. And those puppy dog eyes make my heart melt. I know he is still young, and we will make this work. But boy oh boy, my carpet shampooer is going to get a work out! Not too mention the stuff around my house that is getting chewed....Good grief, lol....:shrug:

pbpatti
December 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
welcome to puppyhood, I too recently got a puppy and although my concerns are different we need to learn patience, they are just babies and we need to lead them. sorry I have no help for your pee problem except to maybe do some umbilical training with him for a few days and see if that helps.

attach his leash to you and where you go he goes, you will be able to watch him all the time, it is a bit of work but will likely help alot. patti

t.pettet
December 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
I think he's too young to have run of the total house and should be kept in the area where the bell and exit door are so he has easy access to outside. I would also go out with him each and every time and walk around until he's completely empty, then praise and back in to his area. Pups at this age have to go pee about once every hr.

friendlygal
December 23rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you for your advice! I will certainly try both of your advice!! Fingers crossed!!!

millitntanimist
December 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
A suggestion on the chewing :)
2 things have worked really well for us:

1. putting a large portion of our dogs food in toys that need to be worked at for hours
there's a wealth of "brain teasing" food dispensing balls and kongs at pet stores and they are great for keeping your dog's attention. If you have a heavy chewer, try mixing a little wet food in with the dry then freezing it inside of something.

2. marrow bones! available at almost any grocery store (I think this one is the dog equivalent of putting a kid in front of a tv ;) Just don't give him too much as the extra fat can cause loose bowel movements.