Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My boy is a man!!! Time to get him neutered?

moontamara
September 17th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Casey's got balls! I don't know where they came from all of a sudden, but there they are!!! :eek: Actually, they are so cute!

According to the vet's calculations, he is about 5 months old -- is it a good time to get him neutered? Now that the testicles have appeared, is it a rush to get him neutered before he starts feeling (ahem) randy??? :cool: About how much time do I have?

Also, he's been having ear problems (been to the vet and had him treated but it's not 100%). Is it okay to have him undergo surgery when his physical health isn't perfect? He also hasn't completed his immunizations (there was a long delay because he was so sick shortly after I first got him) -- is that a factor? I believe he has one more round to go.

Thanks all, in advance!

(and sorry for the nature of the subject matter -- especially since many of ou will probably read this around your breakfast time!)

iRONKNiGHT
September 17th, 2004, 04:48 AM
You should of already had him Neutered :)
you can have a young puppy or kitten neutered as early as 7 weeks old!

If you would like more information in Early Neuturing click here (http://www.ivis.org/advances/Concannon/olson/chapter_frm.asp?LA=1).

chico2
September 17th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Moontamara,what an event,he now has little ballsies :D :D
My husband is a little perturbed by my obcession with my kitties cute little diminished parts,Vinnies little furry white thingys,Rockys and Chicos look like little black buttons,really cute :D :D Personally I think Hubbie is just jealous :eek:
Neutering is not a major operation like spaying,but of course any surgery involving anaesthisia is risky in an already weakened puppy.
My cats never had a problem,a little sleepy the first day,but up and running the day after...
I am not a dog-owner,but would there be any harm in waiting???Why not wait until he is completely healthy?
It's not as if he is going to run around impregnating females,your leg might get a workout though :D

shan
September 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I had Annie done at 6 months. Although she is a girl, I can see a reason why the age is much different

iRONKNiGHT
September 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM
It's not as if he is going to run around impregnating females,your leg might get a workout though

That sure paint's a picture.. http://images.iwoot.com/alts/humdog_alt1.gifi think i'm going to have nightmares from now on!

debanneball
September 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: @ iRON

Spoiled
September 17th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Get him neutered ASAP. Besides "doing it" on your leg, he'll start marking and trying to get out.

moontamara
September 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Yes, marking... not to mention seeing my little sweet fellar express sexuality :eek: nice illustration Ironknight!!! Thanks for the advice!!!

goldenblaze
September 19th, 2004, 12:20 AM
My Golden Blaze was neutered at 6 months my Vet will not do it much younger. She explained to me more risk so I agree with waiting. Blaze never tried to climb on anyone or anything, it has been one month and he is great. My Vet told me that climbing is not about sex it is about showing he is dominant. I have never had a male do that and always waited till 6 months. I think each person she do what they truly feel is best and I am sure we all listen to what each of our Vet's think aswell. I am sure everything will go well and he will be back to himself in no time at all :)