Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

random muscle spasms in small terrier

Parathion
December 22nd, 2010, 03:01 AM
I have a rat terrier/shih tzu cross female who weighs 13 pounds. I was cuddling her tonight when I noticed that her hind legs were spasming almost constantly, and seemed to grow worse when I rubbed the back of her neck or stroked her ears. I know she wasn't dreaming, because she was awake, but she didn't seem to be in pain either. She kept looking at her legs as though she were annoyed, but not distressed. She's a pretty active dog, and runs a home-made agility course when weather permits, and plays constantly inside. She doesn't have access to anything harmful that she could ingest, so I'm not sure what's causing her muscle spasms. Any help/advice would be very appreciated!

Marty11
December 22nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Of course you should seek advice from a vet. I will tell you that dobies and some related terriers like mine will tremble often. Even when asleep. My manchester trembles his legs when he is standing alert. My dobe trembled when curled up in a ball and asleep. Pls rule out any health issues first.

luckypenny
December 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Did these spasms happen only while you were touching her? Do you think there's a possibility you were simply tickling her?

jassy3399
December 23rd, 2010, 12:04 AM
I would definitely get her checked by a vet. There are a lot of causes for muscle spasms in dogs, including various diseases, injury, even plain old over tired muscles! She sounds like a very active pooch, so I'd bet on the last, but, by the same token, a very active dog can jump and land badly, and they wouldn't necessarily let you know. It's best to have a vet check her over to rule out anything serious.

MaxaLisa
December 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
If it were my dog, I would have bloodwork run if it hasn't been done recently. If there is a chance of tick disease, I would consider that. If everything checks out fine, I would use acupuncture and chiropractic to treat this.