Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old dog not getting along with young one

Wulusi89
December 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend has a nine year old Siberian husky and recently bought a border collie puppy and brought it home, but the thing is the older dog became a lot more nervous and anxious, she apparently was very scared and uneasy cooping with the presence of the new puppy. We though that she would adapt to the situation fairly quickly, since she is friendly around most people usually and other dogs. This morning when she was eating with the puppy, she sort of ate too fast and vomited on the floor because she thought the puppy was going to steal her food. And she pees on the floor also when she sees the little puppy.

So I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with multiple pets or dogs in any similar situation, we're trying everything we can to calm the husky down. Any advice or tips will be appreciated and thanks for your support.

luckypenny
December 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
Welcome to pets.ca, Wulusi.

Your gf's older dog is overwhelmed with the addition of the new puppy which is very normal. However, it's her responsibility to keep the rambunctious little bugger away from her other dog when she's stressed. Does her older dog have a safe place to go where she's not bothered by the puppy? Can your gf use baby gates? She can also set up a playpen where the pup can play quietly with toys and stuffed Kongs. And at feeding time, they should be fed separately (eg. playpen or a crate for the pup).

How old is the puppy? Is she/he getting adequate exercise/playtime so that she/he's too tired to bother the Husky? And is her Husky getting enough one-on-one time as well?

Wulusi89
December 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi luckypenny

Thanks for the reply, the puppy is about a month and half old. For the moment we're keeping them separate from each other so that the husky wouldn't become stressed. As for toys, both dogs have plenty to play with and both gets one on one time from her. We are keeping the dogs in separate areas but we're not using baby gates at the moment, I'll let her know about that as well as that they should be fed separately. I hope the dogs will get along eventually when the older dog calms down.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Geezer
December 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend has a nine year old Siberian husky and recently bought a border collie puppy and brought it home, but the thing is the older dog became a lot more nervous and anxious, she apparently was very scared and uneasy cooping with the presence of the new puppy. We though that she would adapt to the situation fairly quickly, since she is friendly around most people usually and other dogs. This morning when she was eating with the puppy, she sort of ate too fast and vomited on the floor because she thought the puppy was going to steal her food. And she pees on the floor also when she sees the little puppy.

So I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with multiple pets or dogs in any similar situation, we're trying everything we can to calm the husky down. Any advice or tips will be appreciated and thanks for your support.

In my opinion (backed by experience with older dogs) the old gal deserves respect. Nine is about when large dogs start to become less active. If she is forced to live with a rambunctious puppy, it should be done gradually as a learning experience for both dogs, but with deference to the more senior member. My experience is that as dogs get older they gain dignity and learn to settle in on their later years gently and quietly. I would advise you to persuade your friend to enrol the puppy into obedience classes so that it can be controlled with spoken commands and hand gestures. Also, the puppy should probably be trained to use a crate to give the Siberian a break from constant challenges.

Good luck with that. My previous elderly Golden Retriever used to hate it when one of my daughters would visit with boisterous young dogs that lacked any kind of discipline and I had to let her to wait in my locked bedroom until the visit was over; a gesture that she truly appreciated.

Parathion
December 22nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
Because the husky is older, she probably doesn't want to be bugged by a puppy all the time. It also seems like - because of the fast eating and the peeing - that she feels threatened by the puppy's invasion, and doesn't want the pup in her space. When at home, I would keep them separated and allow short interaction times, making sure you keep the stress level of the husky as low as possible. A good start would be getting them to play in one room at the same time, but not necessarily together. To allow them to get acquainted, you should take them both to neutral ground so that the husky doesn't feel like her space is being threatened, and she can better grow accustomed to the pup.

mirtilo
December 28th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I had a similar experience very recently! I had a 7 year old Dane/Lab mix and brought in a 2 month old Lhasa Apso/Mini Poodle. She reacted by being very nervous and threatened by the dog (not physically so much, more with food and possessions, like you mentioned). We eventually made her more comfortable with the situation by giving them both places to be alone. We got the little guy a crate (we don't force him in, it's just there with the door open, like a little doggy room for when he feels like being alone) and we actually did give the older dog a room that we don't use anymore. The puppy isn't allowed in, so that's the one place she can go if she feels like getting some rest.

Even when they learn to get along very well, the energy levels of the two dogs won't always match up, so it's important to give them separate places like this to be alone so that the older dog doesn't feel like her role in the family is threatened.

It's been said, but definitely try to feed them separately. With my dogs, it became a competition with both of them eating ridiculously fast and proceeding to throw it all up before I realized. Also, it's good to give physical and emotional affection to the older dog as often as you can, since seeing the puppy being picked up and/or fussed over can make her insecure.

Good luck with it! :)

Wulusi89
December 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks very much for the tips from everyone, its been about two weeks now. We are providing spaces for both dogs separately and trying gradually to get them confortable with each other's presence.

So far we made to the point where both dogs are comfortable taking walks side by side. However I think it would still be a while before they are able to share any interior space especially where the husky sleeps. We are giving the husky more room and keeping the puppy in a small pen, so far the puppy is responding very well to training and obeys very well when she is told not go near the husky. I hope eventually our dogs will get along.

Thanks once again for everyone's input.