Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A swelling D:

pattythepoofy
December 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
My dog Kye has some type of swelling just below the anus opening and on this swelling is - what it looks like- a cut or scratch of some sort. I was just wondering what my dog might have? and if its something that i could treat? D:

Winston
December 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Looks like you dog may have an infected anal gland....Do you ever notice the dog scooting on the floor?

pattythepoofy
December 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
no not really

Winston
December 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Do you have any penaten baby cream? If so you could put a warm cloth around there to clean the area and then place some of the penaten cream around it. It will sooth the discomfort the dog feels. This is what my vet reccomended when my boy had this problem.

Having said all this is usually food related....either the stools are too loose or too firm...Normally when the stool is firm the anal glands release with the bowel movements but sometimes they get infected or even impacted which leads to pain in the dog. They scoot as their way of getting the gland to release.

Best bet really is to have the vet give them a quick check and then the vet can express any fluid remaining. Your doggie may need some antibiotics if the infection is bad.

Hope this helps...let us know how you make out at the vets.:thumbs up

Cindy

Marty11
December 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
My terrier gets this. I usually find him licking excessively. I played around with the food. So far so good on Acana. :fingerscr I do add pumpkin, extra veggies and sometimes grains. Soft poo is bad I think, it doesn't squeeze the anal glands. Get the vet or dog groomer to show you how to express it, but you may need meds if it's infected.

pattythepoofy
December 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM
So i made some reasurch on what to do with an anal gland infection and turns out all you had to do was release the fluid that was in what looked to be a swelling. So i did what they told me to do and pop it, now he seems to be fine and the swelling seems to be gone :) Thank you

t.pettet
December 20th, 2010, 07:29 PM
This is an infected (impacted) anal gland that has ruptured so he needs to see a vet for antibiotics to clear up the infection and so it can heal properly and have a diet change so it doesn't happen again. It is very painful and is very likely still harboring infected that squeezing won't heal. One of mine has extra fibre in his diet as he is prone to straining when the stools are not firm enough.

MaxaLisa
December 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM
This can also be related to, or develop into a perianal fistula.

I agree with the above, treat with antibiotics, usually for an extended period after a good flush. If it doesn heal, then you're looking at a PF.