Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recovery Extra Strength for Shadow

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Okay, so all of you who suggested I try the Recovery for Shadow to go with her Metacam and arthritis,here's my next question.

I bought a bottle of Recovery Extra Strength powder. The lady at the health store said there is also a dog version but they don't carry it. Can I use this one that I bought?

If so, how much is appropriate for a dog Shadow's size. She's 28 kg or 61 lbs approximately. It says to take before meals and introduce gradually over a two week perois to a concentrated dose of 2 - 3 teaspoons spread throughout the day. After 30 - 60 days you may reduce to 1/2 of that.
Not sure how to give it to her, she's very picky when eating.

Would there be any harm in giving this to Halo as well, who is 10 years old and just a bit heavier (lab X). She has no symptoms of anything yet though.

The lady assured me I could return the bottle if it's not the right one, so long as it's not opened yet. Tks for your help here ladies.

Just on a side note, Shadow is doing much better now that she's on Metacam. Several people have told me that even her eyes look more alive again. She must have been hurting before, we all know how well they hide their pain.

BenMax
December 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't give anything to Halo if not required.

Glad to hear things are looking up.:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hey BenMax, I was just wondering because this has glucosamine and MSM in it if it would work as a preventative joint treatment? Or would just straight glucosamine and MSM be better for Halo? Not sure if I should wait until she has arthritis or give her this as a preventive.

Chris21711
December 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I would hold off on giving Shadow the formula you have purchased DD.....compare the ingredients one against the other and maybe there is too much of everything for a dog to handle.......I wouldn't give it without checking it out first..............I mix the powder in Skippy's bowl, I don't think it alters the taste.

Recovery for peeps....1 tsp

Nutricol® - Proprietary plant complex containing EGCG, OPC’s, theaflavin and resveratrol from green tea and grape. 250mg
methyl sulfonyl methane (MSM) 1,200mg
glucosamine hydrochloride (plant source) 750mg
fructooligosaccharides (FOS) 500mg
vitamin C (magnesium ascorbate) 400mg
trimethylglycine (TMG) 200mg
elemental magnesium (magnesium ascorbate) 145mg
vitamin E (natural d-alpha tocopheryl) 100iu
hyaluronic acid (sodium hyaluronate - vegan/microbial fermentation) 25mg
In a base of organic hyperberry formula
(blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, cranberry).

Recovery for :dog::dog:.....1/2 tsp

INGREDIENTS
Each 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) contains

Nutricol® - Antioxidant bioflavonoid mix (extracts of grape, green tea) 75mg
l-lysine 250mg
methyl sulfonyl methane (MSM) 500mg
glucosamine hydrochloride (plant source) 500mg
trimethylglycine (TMG) 100mg
vitamin C (magnesium ascorbate) 135mg
natural vitamin E 50iu
elemental magnesium 50mg
hyaluronic acid - HA (plant source) 15mg

Also note that the dose per human is substantially higher than for dogs.

Re: your friends dog, I have no advice on that...it is a hard call. I can only hope things improve for your friend.

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM
So Chris you're suggesting that I go and find the one for dogs then? The ingredients in the one I have are as you have listed for people. I'll try again I guess. Tks. Any input on whether it would hurt Halo to give her some? You got in there real quick with the comment about my friends dog Bella. I had meant it to be a new thread but it showed up here so I deleted it almost immediately! I think I'll try it again after she gives me the name of what they have the dog on.

Chris21711
December 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM
So Chris you're suggesting that I go and find the one for dogs then? The ingredients in the one I have are as you have listed for people. I'll try again I guess. Tks.

I would go for the dog supplement....I don't know enough to try and figure out how much of the other to give or whether I should.

Any input on whether it would hurt Halo to give her some? You got in there real quick with the comment about my friends dog Bella. I had meant it to be a new thread but it showed up here so I deleted it almost immediately! I think I'll try it again after she gives me the name of what they have the dog on.

Regarding Halo, if it is affordable then by all means give the Recovery, but maybe just the regular kind, not the extra strength. IMO it can only do good in the long run.

cpietra16
December 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I just noticed this thread, Winnie who will be 13 this week is on glucosamine /chondroitin and Yucca. Since I added the Yucca I have seen a huge difference in her walk.

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Arrgh!!! I called one of our drugstores who I was told carried the pet Recovery and she called the distributor as she didn't have it in stock and was told that it is discontinued! Just my luck I guess. She did recommend one of their branches out in farm country that I could try to see if they have any in stock, but once they're out, that will be it. :wall:

Winston
December 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM
DD have you ever looked at Sashas Blend? I have had Winston on this product for almost a month and I cant say enough about how well he appears to be doing! Its a little pricey but they tell you that the results are in 4-5 days??? and that was true! I noticed a difference almost immediately.

http://www.sashas.ca/cb_pages/sashas_blend.php

Cindy

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Cindy, I may look into that instead, I hate to start them on something that I won't be able to get!

Chris21711
December 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
DD have you ever looked at Sashas Blend? I have had Winston on this product for almost a month and I cant say enough about how well he appears to be doing! Its a little pricey but they tell you that the results are in 4-5 days??? and that was true! I noticed a difference almost immediately.

http://www.sashas.ca/cb_pages/sashas_blend.php

Cindy

I haven't had any luck in tracking it down Winston....I emailed the company and have heard nothing back.

DD I don't think the Recovery is discontinued, they were just at Woofstock in Toronto promoting it.

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Chris, I tried our pharmacy and she called two distributors and was told it was discontinued. I'll keep looking I guess. Do you have any contact info from Woofstock that I could try e-mailing maybe about a BC outlet?

Chris21711
December 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Chris, I tried our pharmacy and she called two distributors and was told it was discontinued. I'll keep looking I guess. Do you have any contact info from Woofstock that I could try e-mailing maybe about a BC outlet?

I didn't take any of their pamphlets DD, I just bought a large cannister of it (1 kilo)....

Here is their website, they have contact info on there.

http://www.purica.com/recovery_sa.htm

Chris21711
December 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
DD I emailed them and this is what I received back...

****Hello Chris, thank you for your email.

No this product has not been discontinued. Possible the place you purchased it from is not carrying it but this product is fairly new and growing very nicely.

All the best,

Trevor*****

Maybe you want to email them and ask where you can buy it from.

I was looking on the Sasha's Blend website and it says that it can only be purchased through a Vet.

Winston
December 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
When I purchased the Sashas Blend he told me the vets sell it for $15.00 more than he was selling it and that I could also purchase it online from New Zealand for a shipping charge of $9.00? He gave me a brochure with his contact information and said that if I had trouble to contact him and he would assist me.

rainbow
December 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM
DD, It's available at the Pharmasave we have here .....if you don't have one near you then I can get it and send it to you. It was also at one of the pet stores here and the health food store the last time I looked as well but a bit more expensive than Pharmasave.

Dog Dancer
December 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hey all, thanks for the info. I will certainly look into it some more. We do have one Pharmasave out here that deals with lots of animal stuff so I'll call them today. If that fails I'll e-mail the company. Thanks all.

Dog Dancer
January 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Okay, I did find the Recovery SA Extra Strength for pets. The pet store I bought it at said they could only get the powder (which is very hard to give to Shadow who is a very picky eater). I e-mailed the company and they said any Bosley's will carry the chewables also - in fact he said any pet store in BC can get all of their products. Will have to pursue the chewables more with my store. He also said that I could certainly give this to Halo as well as a preventative.

So thank you Rainbow for the offer to buy and send some to me, and to all for the advice. Have just started it this past week so we're not up to the recommended dosage yet, but Shadow has been lifting her leg to pee sometimes again, so between the Metacam (which we are alternating days and lower dosage with) and the Recovery I do see a slight improvement in her mobility. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for all the help.

Melinda
January 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
prolong use of metacam is very hard on their liver and kidney, but especially the liver, they won't keep brina on it longer than 3 weeks

check out this page, I think I'll be getting the shot for brina www.arthritis.com.au

Dog Dancer
January 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hey Melinda, I know the Metacam is not good for long term use. Will be talking to the vet in a while about it. The arthritis link you gave put me onto a horse racing page. I didn't see anything about arthritis. Am I missing it??

Chris21711
January 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
DD does Shadow eat canned food or any kind of gravy.....I don't really think the Recovery has barely any taste and it mixes real easy.

Without joshing, you could try a bit yourself to see what kind of taste it has :o

luckypenny
January 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I think this is the link Melinda meant to provide. http://www.arthritis.au.com/DMOAD.2006.FINAL.pdf

We used Cartrophen with Toby for the short while he was with us. I was told not to expect miracles because of his advanced condition but, we saw improvement shortly after the first injection. It may be something you'd like to look into.

Big hugs for Shadow.

rainbow
January 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM
DD, if Shadow doesn't like the taste of the powder you can always buy empty gel caps from the pharmacy and fill them yourself.

Did you ever read the Dogaware website articles on arthritis? There is lots of excellent information there about all types of supplements, diet and treatment .....

http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritis.html

pbpatti
January 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM
:offtopic: :2cents: Recovery tastes AWfulll, I accidently put some on my cereal instead of Sasha's food UGH, gave me my laugh of the day though. patti

mastifflover
January 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
:offtopic::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Melinda
January 18th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I think this is the link Melinda meant to provide. http://www.arthritis.au.com/DMOAD.2006.FINAL.pdf

We used Cartrophen with Toby for the short while he was with us. I was told not to expect miracles because of his advanced condition but, we saw improvement shortly after the first injection. It may be something you'd like to look into.

Big hugs for Shadow.

thank you luckypenny for fixing the link for me, could you please tell me how much it cost for the injection, if you don't mind....ummmm is it rude for me to ask?

Dog Dancer
January 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about the gelcaps Rainbow, but if she's taking I think it was 1 1/2 teaspoons (or something) that's going to be a lot of gel caps getting stuffed down her throat! I did try mixing it with water and putting it on her kibble this morning, then covering that with hamburger and chicken and a bit of dried lamb lung. The result of that is throwing away the kibble and supplement $$$. Will have to make an effort in the next day or two to find a Bosley's and get the chewables or else I'll make it into a past and syringe it into her mouth like I do her metacam. :wall:

And thanks for the dogaware link. I did read through it. Will be interested also to hear what the cartophen shots cost. Thanks all. LP Shadow appreciates the hugs - she's a big musher.

Winston
January 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM
DD not sure if this will help but I have been giving Winston the Sashas Blend and it certainly doesnt smell that great so I am pretty sure the taste is gross. The first couple of times I just sprinkled it on his food and he left it. Then I decided to mix it into 1 teaspoon of yogurt and he loves it. I figure a teaspoon of yogurt a day wont hurt him. Besides he loves yogurt! :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
January 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks Winston, Shadow is a princess and won't eat yogurt either. I think in future all dogs I own will be labs because they'll eat anything you put in front of them :D. We've tried feeding Shadow canned food, works for a couple days then she refuses it. Dry food, works for a bit now and then but only if you completely cover it with chicken or something else (liver works too). I even tried home cooking for her and she wouldn't eat that either (please leave the comments about my cooking to my husband! :laughing:) Anyhow, right now she seems to like the Taste of the Wild food and eats a fair amount of it so long as it's well covered in meat. Anything extra and it all just gets left behind - like today. You'd think after 13 years she'd know we're not trying to poison her.

Chris21711
January 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
The Cartrophen shots are not that expensive DD....roughly $25 a shot....I think you give 1 weekly for 4 weeks and once a month thereafter.

Why don't you pm Luckypenny, she used them with Toby and TeriM used them with Lucy.

luckypenny
January 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
You're right Chris, it's once a week for four weeks then once a month afterwords. I paid about 20$ each and it was a vet tech who did the shots. I think Frenchy paid 17$ at her vet. If I'm not mistaken, TeriM purchased the Cartrophen from her vet and administered the shots herself but not sure how much it cost her.

Chris21711
January 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
You're right Chris, it's once a week for four weeks then once a month afterwords. I paid about 20$ each and it was a vet tech who did the shots. I think Frenchy paid 17$ at her vet. If I'm not mistaken, TeriM purchased the Cartrophen from her vet and administered the shots herself but not sure how much it cost her.

Sneaky you :cool:....I used to take Cocoa and the Vet would come to the truck so that she didn't have the bother of going in the clinic....I paid $25 :frustrated:

Dog Dancer
January 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Well Darn It!! I just spoke to the rep from Purica about the chew tabs in the extra strength but it doesn't exist yet. They have chew tabs in the regular but the extra strength is too new on the market so they haven't put out the tabs yet. He says the product is growing in popularity and in time they will likely get the chew tabs, but not yet. I guess I'm going to have to syringe it into her mouth and then give her chicken treats for being a good girl. I will talk to my vet though about the cartophen injections. TeriM said she had some leftover that I could have if I wanted to go that route, we'll see. Not sure if I'm brave enough to give her shots. I'm a bit of a sissy myself!