Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adult male behavior after castration

tortue_tętue
December 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. It seems like a great place to ask info and share experiences. So, I'm happy to join you all. :)

So, here is my situation. In a few weeks, I will adopt a 4 years old golden retriever. At the moment, he is still intact. He will be neutered soon.

I was wondering if his behavior will change after the surgery. Now, every time he is with other dogs, no matter the sex, he's trying to mount them. Of course, probably it's mostly part of the dominance game , that's for sure (even if, over all, he is submissive). I'm asking because I already have a female at home (spayed) and I hope that, once the hierarchy is settle between them, he won't always annoy her with constant mounting.

I already have experience with dogs, but all my previous one were fixed before they reached puberty. So, it is all new to me. :)

I know it sounds like a silly question, but I had to ask! So, if anyone has experience to share, I would be happy to read them. :)

Thanks!

rainbow
December 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Welcome to pets.ca tortue_tetue .....yes, it will go away after he is neutered although it may take up to a month for his hormones to subside. :thumbs up

Thank you for adopting an older boy and we sure would love to see pics of him and your other girl. :goodvibes:

tortue_tętue
December 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks rainbow! :) Can't wait to have him home! And I just reread my first post. My boy isn't a golden retriever (my old cutie was. :')). He's a standard poodle. When I first saw him months ago, he was so dirty and his hair so long, it was impossible to tell what breed he was. He was also scared of everything and he barely ate. He probably was in some sort of puppy mill before. We don't know for sure. But thanks to the good care he now receives at the dog shelter (where he still is for some times), he is "back to life", happy and full of energy, just like a puppy! :D

Longblades
December 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
It is highly unlikely you will see any changes in any of his behaviours. For one thing neutering is NOT a magic cure-all. The magic cure-all is TRAINING.

Number two, anything remotely sexually oriented and thus governed by his testicles has already been learned. Such behaviours may stop, they may not. Once he's learned to do them he may continue.

Number three, as you have already indicated you know, mounting is not always sexual. Sometimes it is dominance based. It is not at all unusual for a submissive dog to mount. This in particular is not likely to stop.

Number four, we have only hearsay to support the magic of neutering on behaviour. The very small amount of real research done on this says, shockingly, it is mostly untrue, AND, it found neutering makes some behaviours worse. See the C-BARQ data for this research, it will really surprise you. http://www.acc-d.org/2006%20Symposium%20Docs/Session%20I.pdf

If you noticed my post has a lot of words like "may" and "not likely" and "some" it's because the research on this subject is scanty. What's been done contradicts much of what we have been told all along but more work needs to be done. In short, regardless of whether you neuter your new dog or not it would be foolish to not count on having to do lots of training.

Oh, and hormone decrease should not reliably be expected to be completed till your dog is about 6 (SIX) months past the surgery. Actually reliablility cannot be known without a trip to your Vet. This is not such a concern with your spayed girl but it might really trip you up if you have an entire girl in the neighbourhood.

Welcome and I'm sure you will have lots of happy years ahead with your GR. 4 is not old. Our rescue ESS was 4 and we enjoyed +10 wonderful years with her. What's your boy's name? Is he a retire breeding stud? Photos of both he and your girl?

BenMax
December 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Longblades is correct in the sense that it will take up to 6 months for the hormones to 'readjust'.

Neutering will curb the sexual side of the frustration but one must distinguish between sexual tendancies and dominence. You may have to correct this behaviour.

I am an advocate for neutering and spaying. I certainly would not try to discourage you from doing it as I feel necessary in order to instill some harmony within the family due to a present female. Just do not expect an instant change of behaviour. It will be gradual and you may have to start with some training to get him out of it.

Best of luck to you.:thumbs up

luckypenny
December 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
...anything remotely sexually oriented and thus governed by his testicles has already been learned. Such behaviours may stop, they may not. Once he's learned to do them he may continue.

As was the case with our Lucky who was neutered when he was already an adult. He still goes a bit nutty if he can pick up a scent of a female in heat, still doesn't get on very well with other adult males (especially if the other dog is intact), and occasionally mounts females. The key in preventing mounting is certainly training. All I have to say is "off" and Lucky disembarks immediately.

If you're thinking about taking your fella to a dog park or other places where there are unknown dogs to you, I'd advise caution as not all dogs will take to mounting behavior kindly. In fact, it could cause fights. Take the time to train him and exercise him well. Good luck :fingerscr.

tortue_tętue
January 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks all for your comments (even if I'm slow to respond ^.^)

I still don't have my little boy at home. So, I'll have to be very patient! His name is Kongo, but it sounds a bit weird for a white poodle right? Anyway, I'll see what I can do about the naming later on. hehe

Now, some of you pointed out about the high probability that his behavior won't change that much after the neutering surgery and that it is with training that the mounting behavior will be mostly corrected (even if it won't completely disappear). I'm fine with that. But I'll need a few tips on how to deal with this situation when it will arise. Maybe it is already explained on the website (and I clumsily missed it, hehe), so, just indicate me where I should look if it's the case. :) Or, feel free to add more comments about the training. I'm all ears and eyes!

By the way, here are the little monsters I'm talking about. I took the pictures with my phone, so the quality is not that great. Sorry about that.

The first one is my girl Mollie, a 2.5 years old labrador:

http://i55.tinypic.com/10ibhmw.jpg

The second one is Kongo, the 4 years old poodle:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z69ifq.jpg