Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens and Claw Clipping

krdahmer
September 16th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Ok...how young can you clip a kittens claws, and what are the tricks??
I know about using baby nail clippers, but any other advice?

Their claws are like little needles and with my allergies, my hands are getting really sore and itchy. :( I'd like to try and just trim the pointy end off at least.
I do the claws on my three on a regular basis but have never attempted it on such a small kitten, they are about 8 weeks old.

Oh and for those following the kitten tail, the first orange tabby is heading for his forever home tomorrow, my best friend will be picking him up after dinner for the big trip down the street.... LOL. And I do believe she is calling him George. :D awwww.... 1 down 3 to go!!!

Sneaky2006
September 16th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Sorry, don't have any advice.
But I had to say... 'I will love him, and squeeze him, and call him George' :D :D

krdahmer
September 16th, 2004, 10:29 PM
LMAO...I hadn't thought of that one yet!!!!! I'll pass it on to her!

heeler's rock!
September 16th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I clipped my kittens claws when they were still quite young. It's good to do it now and get them used to having their paws handled. The best thing I've found are tiny clippers from the pet store that I use on my rabbits. They're like scizzors so they're easy to handle. Plus, the cat's claws are like butter so they were really easy to clip. Just make sure you get them used to you handling their paws before doing the deed.... :D

Lucky Rescue
September 16th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Do it when they are sleeping. Gently clip a nail or two and if they object, quit for the day!

krdahmer
September 16th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys will try those. Possibly while wearing gloves....lol. :rolleyes:

sujean
September 17th, 2004, 12:20 PM
also wrapping the kitten in a towel or blanket binding them for all but one paw at a time also works. along with playing with my kitties paws regularly and give them a couple of crunchies after each one was done really did the trick.

Now when i sit on the floor and call for them, they come running over, lined up for their clippings.

tyr
September 17th, 2004, 04:52 PM
That towel/blanket trick sounds like a great idea! Combined with the treats it is genius! I am going to have to give that a try.

I also wanted to say that I use the clippers you get at the vet (or pet store) they have handles like scissors but the clipper is shaped in a curve - just like their little claws - making it much easier to cut. Also, remember to stop just before the pink starts to avoid bleeding :eek: ;)

Spoiled
September 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I clipped some cats nails and this is how I did it:

I had one person hold the cat on it's back
When the cat calmed down I'd clip the claws
I only took the tip off using human nail clippers

Don't get all your gloves out and cover-alls on and everything, because it just allerts the cat that something is going to happen! :D

krdahmer
September 18th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Well claw slipping went well... I waited until my best friend was here to pick up 'George', one of the young little orange fellas. They were all a bit sleepy so I almost got through a whole paw before they figured out what we were up to.... but she held them gently and we gave them lots of loving when they were finished!

Thanks for all the tips...and my husband swears by that towel method....also works for giving meds! :)