Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Dog

2ndchance
December 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum, seems like there is some good advice here. I just brought home a young (18 months) dog yesterday the owners were re-homing as they did not want to keep 2 dogs. She was orginially from the pound and the first person kept her in an apartment then passed her on to the people I got her from. They told me she is a Chesapeake/Lab mix. She was rather rude when I first went to see her jumping up and grabbing at my hands and they said she didn't walk well on a leash. I brought her home and she pulled her jumping up stunts and leash grabbing, trying to shove her way through the door ahead of me. In just 24 hours she has become pretty attached to me. I've walked her several times, make her sit frequently and do not let her go ahead of me through the door. She walks reasonably well on the leash (pulls a bit), does not jump up or grab at me after the initial correction, you can even take her bone away from her easily. She waits for permission to eat her food from me, learned to not get on the furniture pretty fast and follows me everywhere or lies at my feet. She did the jumping up on my daughter and but not my husband. However today my sister came to see her (and she loves dogs) and this dog was pretty aggressive jumping up and grabbed her twice with her teeth. After a few minutes she calmed down and was nice and gentle and loving towards her. this dog was living with a Pyrenese and constantly biting and wrestling with this dog so she plays rough. My concern is the best way to control her when new people come to the door or meeting with other dogs. She is a good size dog and I'm wondering if I can ever trust her. My cats are in hiding, haven't even got that far yet as they are no where near ready to leave the basement. I think she could be a amazing dog but this jumping/biting problem concerns me. Anyone else dealt with this and what worked?

mastifflover
December 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Having her improve a little in a short time is a good sign she is willing to learn and will be a better canine citizen. You will be able to trust her it will take time just as she has to learn to trust you and your family. She has been moved around a bit so she will calm down as well with a feeling of security. You being in charge and not letting her get through the door first is good. When anybody is coming in make her sit before they enter and remain sitting and tons of praise and treats every time she does what you ask of her. Thanks for giving her a home Please post pics. Some of our members with cats will be able to offer suggestions for introducing the cats.

2ndchance
December 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hopefully I did this right. This is the picture of Chloe taken yesterday when I brought her home. She is supposed to be Chesapeake Bay/Yellow Lab, 18 months old.

2ndchance
December 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I've had several people tell me this dog looks like a rhodesian ridgeback so now I'm wondering if that might be the cross with a lab as she doesn't have the brown ridge of hair down her back but her face is very much like a rhodesian. Anyone have experience with this breed? This might be a problem with the cats. Today she went a couple places with my daughter and met other dogs, cats & horses and did very well. Not willing to go more then 30' from my daughter even when playing with another dog off leash. She chased a cat at the barn once then left it alone after that. The hunting instinct bothers me a bit.

BenMax
December 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The rhodesian ridgeback's staple 'hairline' is actually a defect. A rhodesian without this raised hairline is actual a HEALTHY normal rhodesian. Believe it or not, pups born without this defect (in other words ...normal healthy puppies) are destroyed or not recognized by the kennel clubs for showing purposes.

Your dog could be this but the only sure way to find out is through DNA testing.

Marty11
December 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM
If you have a retriever/lab he is nothing but a bundle of trouble. :laughing: With patience and training, he will be a joy. You should not have issues with prey drive, he's chasing. There are ways to introduce cats to dogs, and far more experienced people here will guide you. Is the cat used to dogs and how old is the cat? As far as ridgeback, I don't know their instinct, I never met one.

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I would say the best way for you to keep your new dog from jumping on new people is to keep a short leash on the dog when he's in the house. When someone comes to the door, hold the leash and make him sit. With him in a polite sit you can open the door and immediately give him a slight correction if he goes to jump or gets too excited. You will need to be extremely patient with him, obviously nobody else has taken the time to properly train this fellow in his short life or he probably wouldn't be working on his third (and hopefully final) home. Thank you for taking him on. THere are several threads in here about introducing a dog and cats. Search them out for some great advice.

2ndchance
December 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have 2 cats and they were raised as kittens with my old shepard/border collie cross so they are used to dogs. I think if they would just give her a slap on the nose that would be the end of it but they are pretty unhappy right now and just waiting for the dog to leave. We have housesat a dog on occasion for a day or 2 so they probably are expecting Chloe to leave soon. I've always had shepards or shepard crosses for the last 23 years so this type of dog is new to me however she is an incredibly attentive dog, wants to learn and follows us whenever she can. Tonight she followed me back and forth bringing in groceries from the car and never paid any attention to being outside and off leash at all....just wants to be with her new family and I think going to be pretty good watch dog. Just have to keep an eye on her when she is excited. My shep/bc cross was fearful and an ankle biter from behind of people he didn't know and I had to watch him like a hawk if someone new came over...he never left the property but don't start down the driveway without my company. I decided to stay away from herding dogs this time as it was stressful to have a dog that would nip people and want to chase the horses so I really hope Chloe learns to control her desire for jumping/grabbing at people so that one day I can trust her - that is important to me because I could never trust Chance. I felt a lot of anxiety the last couple days over her Jumping up and biting my sister (while I was holding her, my fault I know but she caught me off guard) but in every other way she is amazing. You never know what you might get into with shelter dogs...but so far I've had great dogs just not perfect ones but what dog is? :)

PS I didn't know that about ridgebacks and I've never seen one but I can see the similarities in Chloe and the description so I don't know what to think. I was trying to stay away from any kind of hunting dog, I prefer devoted dogs who stay home and I've had amazing luck with my shepards in the past for staying on my property. I could train them to stay by my horse along the road and not even cross the road when meeting up with another dog - being herding dogs helped that so we'll see this time.

mirtilo
December 28th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hello 2ndchance!

Since this is still a new situation, I would give it a while before really seeing this as a serious problem. With a little training, I'm sure Chloe will be very well-behaved :) It's normal for dogs to act over-excitedly when greeting strangers. The leash trick mentioned above is great. I always used treats to distract my dogs from the stranger initially, it helps get their focus to get them to sit. My dog used to being a mess when it came to having people over. As soon as the doorbell rang, she would be scrambling to the door, barking and would pounce on the visitors as soon as they got through the door. She didn't grab at them as much, but she would nibble at their shoes and gloves.

Now she's an angel! There's definitely hope yet, it just takes some patience. Clearly her previous owners didn't invest too much, I can already tell you'll be a great change for her :) Even just the fact that she has been passed along so often can add to her anxiety and dramatic reaction to people. If she is allowed to socialize with more people (do you interact with any when she's taken on walks? or to those pet stores where you can bring your dog?), trained in these interactions, and given plenty of affection, she will turn out wonderful.

With all that said, she is such a beautiful girl :D

Sib.HuskyMom
December 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hi 2ndchance!

Keeping a short leash by the front door is a great idea. Whenver people come over, just quickly click the leash on the dog before opening the door. That way, you will have full control to make corrections when needed.

You may also have to um 'train' your houseguests :D

Naturally, everyone will want to say hi and pet the new puppy when they come in. Instead, have them completely ignore the dog at the beginning. No eye contact, no speaking, etc.
Then, when Chloe has calmed down and relaxed, that's the time for your guests to say hello to her and give affection, rather than Chloe demanding it on her terms :thumbs up

Best of luck. She sounds like a wonderful girl and with a little training and a lot of patience, you'll have a wonderful new member of the family.

Thank you for giving her a forever home. :lovestruck:

2ndchance
December 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Well we survived Christmas and people coming and going. We discovered she is much worse when I hang on to her and answer the door then if someone else holds her (making her sit) and I happily greet people and make a fuss over them then she is more mannerly and accepting. My daughter is very strict with her and making her mind so it has been helpful to have her home from school. My friend suggested I keep the door locked so nobody can just walk in and me be unprepared with the dog. The longer I have her and the more I read up on Ridgebacks she seems to be exactly like that breed. The last thing I thought I ever wanted was a hunting hound dog however I have been able to take her off leash back the farm lane across the road and she sticks quite close to me. This has helped a great deal to tire her out but I do take the risk of her running off however even when she spotted some deer and took off after them she only went so far (end of field) then returned when I called and moved off in the opposite direction. I do realize however she may get braver as time passes and I'm thinking of getting a whistle to teach her recall with. I just don't think I could walk her on leash enough to keep her happy and I don't play too much in the yard at home where chasing the cats and horses is too tempting right now. I walk about 3km twice a day, the morning run is mostly off leash but it is dark early and winter makes it hard to always do this. She is very mannerly in the house and more curious about the cats instead of threatening but they still don't want to share a room with her. lol

mastifflover
December 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Glad to hear she is doing so well. She does look like a RR, and they are great dogs. She is a very pretty girl. Time and patience will also be the key and lots of training. They are very smart and I am sure she will be a quick learner.