Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Bladder Infection

Aspasia
December 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hi, my 7 yr-old Maine-Coon cat had a urinary tract blockage about 1 1/2 weeks ago. She was on an IV and had a Catheter, and the blockage was cleared up. She has been on Clavamox since then to prevent an infection, and has seemed fine (energetic, urinating regularly, etc) until this morning, when she started to cry out whenever she went to urinate, although she has been going and it seems to be in normal volume so I don't think its another blockage. Can a cat get a bladder infection while already being on a broad-spectrum antibiotic for over a week? And if so, is the remedy to just continue the antibiotic course and see if it improves by the end?

Thanks so much!

sugarcatmom
December 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I would talk to the vet about this, but in the meantime, what are you feeding your cat? Bladder and urinary tract issues are hugely related to diet, particularly dry food. If you're currently feeding kibble, it would be a really good idea to switch to wet food only. Some info on why here: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Aspasia
December 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
We are already on a wet food only diet. But she seems to be totally better now -- urinating freely and without pain. Thanks for the reply though!