Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brother and Sister

BastienBully
December 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I have a question, and before this gets to far, i am not planning on doing this, but i was wondering what if a brother and sister dog accidently got pregnent? Would it make "weird" babys? Many people told me that its not that big of a problem, but i want to know what you guys think.

Marty11
December 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Absolutely do not let these puppies breed !!!!!!

BastienBully
December 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Absolutely do not let these puppies breed !!!!!!

Im not planing on letting them... as soon as they get at that age, they will be seperated. But my question is what would happen?

cell
December 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I know a woman who has 2 Gordon setters, brother and sister, the parents were brother and sister that bred before being sterilized. One pup was born brown which is a recessive and non-standard colour, which is the first sign that the line was too tight. One of her dogs is always sick and has unusual behavior and it is quite... stupid to put it lightly.
Brother-sister breeding should not happen. Please sterilize one or better both of these dogs as the risk too too high they could breed if living together, you also don't want to be in a house with a female in heat and a male that is being prevented from breeding her.
Since both of your dogs are going to be 100+ pounds the risk is too great of having inbred possibly behaviorally unstable pups being set loose into public, this is just setting pups up to be euthanized.

Love4himies
December 17th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I know a woman who has 2 Gordon setters, brother and sister, the parents were brother and sister that bred before being sterilized. One pup was born brown which is a recessive and non-standard colour, which is the first sign that the line was too tight. One of her dogs is always sick and has unusual behavior and it is quite... stupid to put it lightly.
Brother-sister breeding should not happen. Please sterilize one or better both of these dogs as the risk too too high they could breed if living together, you also don't want to be in a house with a female in heat and a male that is being prevented from breeding her.
Since both of your dogs are going to be 100+ pounds the risk is too great of having inbred possibly behaviorally unstable pups being set loose into public, this is just setting pups up to be euthanized.

Especially in Ontario, where a dog resembling a pitbull will be euthanized. Please speak to your vet about getting your dogs spayed/neutered to eliminate this possibility. It is very difficult to stop a male that wants at a female in heat.

BenMax
December 17th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think you can ask yourself the question if it is ok for human siblings to mate...the outcome is the same. Bad gene pool, health associated problems, mental/tempermental problems, early deaths, defects, bad wiring in general.

The above comments are bang on in regards to your laws pertaining to restricted breeds and sterilization.

BastienBully
December 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I understand, i was just curious lol

erykah1310
December 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
A tight linebreed like that is not ever recommended, a few breeders will do it but thats only when they are really looking to continue something amazing in that line. It seems to be done a lot in rough collie lineage ( just from what I have noticed, I havent checked lineage in all breeds though, just the ones that peak my intrest)
Where an (in my opinion) insanely tight line breed like that, yes a breeder "could" theoretically produce some amazing pups with wonderful qualities, but they are also doubling up on the weaker points in the dogs genetic make up.
Some things hidden by being recessive will most likely rear their ugly head in those pups.
If for example a litter of pups was carrying a recessive gene ( which the breeder should know about if they do their homework about their lineage at all) they would know that they would need to outcross those pups, either completely by bringing in complete new bloodlines ( which also is risky for almost the same reasons) or do a "loose line breed" a relative shared between the parents maybe 3 or so generations back.
There is nothing wrong with a breeder keeping their lines a bit tight, but you have to realize these are purebred documented dogs. Health and genetics for many generations have been documented and proven or tested to help ensure that certain things dont come up.

Most importantly for your situation right now, although you say you dont plan on letting them breed is that, no dog should be bred prior to atleast 2 years of age. For one, important genetic tests especially on larger breeds like OFA for hips and elbows, CERF for eyes, and heart testing ( many breeds require this) BAER testing may be a requirement for Dogo's??? can not be done prior to 2 years of age ( CERF is done annually from the time they are pups though)
No dogs with out proper health clearances should be bred at all. This saves a lot of people and animals a lot of pain and suffering, or atleast reduces the likely hood of it.

Like I stated in another thread too, and someone just brought it up, the average pet person does not fully understand what lengths a male dog will go to in order to get to a female in heat. I would recommend you get them (or at the very least one of them) done at or before 6 months. These are going to be big and powerful dogs Im sure you know