Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat with very swollen lymph nodes

Debra56
December 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM
My russian blue, Oggy who is 2 years old has very large swollen lymph nodes on his neck and rear legs. He is otherwise healthy with no other symptons.

My vet has tested his blood for feline aids, feline leukeamia ( all negative) white cell count (normal). He has also taken a sample out of his neck lumps to test for lymphoma (negative). A liver enzyme was slightly elevated.

My vet does not know what it is and advises me to just watch him for the moment.

Has anyone had similar stories or any idea of what this could be.

Thank you
Debra

catlover2
December 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
It seems your vet has checked out Oggy pretty thoroughly with tests.

Not long after I bought a Devon Rex kitten it developed lumps in its neck. Vet couldn't determine the cause, but gave medication at the time. The medication (can't recall the name now) didn't have any effect. What it did turn out to be was an allergic reaction to something in its kibble. I used the kibble recommended by the breeder, but then apparently the breeder who worked in a pet store at the time found out that the manufacturer of this kibble had changed its formula. So changed the cat's kibble to another brand, and the lumps disappeared and have never returned. That was 6 yrs. ago now.

I hope Oggy's problem is something as simple as mine was. Do give us updates.

Debra56
December 19th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Thank you catlover, that is an interesting point you made about the kibble because I had changed his recently. I will go back to his old one and see how he goes.