Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange symptoms: urinary incontinence + loose stool

mily
December 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone,

My 8 year old dog has a weird combination of symptoms. I've been having to bring him in almost every weekend since middle of Nov to get him check up by my vet (where I work part-time..).

I'm hoping for further suggestions as to what to do!

He developed on and off loose stool sometime during Aug. Thinking it was the food he was on (Legacy), I gradually switched him back to Wellness Core (a diet he did quite well on).

Loose stool got worse during Sept-Oct. Start of Nov, he also started to squat a lot to urinate and would do so for a long time. Brought him to the vet, they did a urinalysis and fecal smear on him. Urine ph was normal but had protein a bit in it...figured it was due to infection. Clostridium was also found in his poop. X-rayed him and was clear of stones. A round of amoxil was administered and symptoms started to clear up but a week into finishing the medication, symptoms (diarrhea+squatting a lot) flared up again!

2nd week - Tylosan was prescribed as clostridium was still present...he started dribbling urine half way into the prescribed length of time to administer.
3rd week - I brought him back to my vet and told him about the dribbling and we stopped the tylosan and he's on amoxil+flagyl now (halfway through).

He's still dribbling a lot of urine and his stool fluctuates from being a bit runny to somewhat normal. He was a properly house trained dog but now he goes in the house in the middle of the night.

I'm going to bring him into the vet this Monday (2nd last day of amoxil+flagyl regime) and ask my vet if a blood test needs to be ran.

Is there anything else I can do for my dog?!?
Has anyone encountered this combination of symptoms?

Thanks for taking the time to read. :needhug:

**ugh, forgot to add: he's still eating normally (combination of Gastro Fibre and Wellness Core) and drinking normally, no radical behaviour changes other than "going" in the house and seems slightly less energetic

hazelrunpack
December 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the board, mily!

Are you giving him a probiotic? That may help to regulate his stool.

Are the clostridium levels back to normal now? You might want to have him checked for giardia, which can cause a loose stool and can be difficult to detect.

As for the dribbling, has your dog been checked for a prostate infection?

rainbow
December 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Welcome to pets.ca mily. :thumbs up

I would definitely get bloodwork done. Good luck and pleae post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

mily
December 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome!!

My pooch had to be admitted to the ER Sunday night as he was unable to produce urine, turns out the problem was his prostate! I thought it was rare for a neutered dog to get any issues there especially since he was fixed as a pup. What bad luck. I'm glad I noticed his symptoms though and the source of the issue is identified.

He's back at our regular clinic and has been ultrasound. We're waiting on his biopsy reports.

rainbow
December 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Although it is uncommon for a neutered dog to have prostate problems, unfortunately it does happen as bacteria from an infection can travel from the urinary tract to the prostate gland.

I hope the biopsy comes back benign. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
I hope the biopsy results are good! :goodvibes: Are the meds helping? :fingerscr

mily
December 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately the results came back cancerous =(. We're not giving up on him yet!! He's still very alert but exhausted/stressed from all those nights away from us and in the hospital.
I brought him home and I'm catheterizing him to relieve his bladder. We also put him on some NSAIDs and he's dribbling urine all over the place now. I think this is the only time I'm praising him for urinating all over haha..
He's a lot more calmer so we'll see what happens from there.
Time for me to hit the textbooks and find what options are available for him if we can get the swelling in his prostate down.

hazelrunpack
December 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Oh, no, mily :grouphug: I'm so sorry to hear!

Seems to me that I read about an estrogen therapy somewhere...just can't remember where... :o

Sending some :goodvibes: to all of you!

MaxaLisa
December 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

MaxaLisa
December 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm so sorry, way too much cancer around :(
For the swelling, I wonder if systemic or proteolytic enzymes would help, like bromelain or wobenzym, fibrozym, etc. They are also cancer fighters. The Whole Dog Journal has an article on these quite awhile ago, if you happen to have a subscription.

rainbow
December 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Mily, I am so sorry to hear that it is cancer. :( :grouphug:

There is lots of information about cancer diets on this website .....

http://www.katberard.com/hea_cancerdiet.htm

Sending lots of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: your way and please keep us updated. :grouphug: