Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Québec

Alexd92
December 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm currently a student in Cegep, plan on going to University very soon. I've started to read up on dog training and tips on how to be a better dog owner for my current and future pets. We have almost always had a dog in our family and they were all of mixed breed from a shelter.

I believe our first was a female German Shepherd mixed with collie, she was named Kelly. She was 14 when she passed, I was just a wee kid though and don't remember much about her.

A few years later we adopted another dog, Rosie. I'm not sure of all the mixes she had but I'm pretty sure she had German Shepherd as well and some ChowChow. She didn't stay long in the family. Wasn't too good with children and was taken back to the shelter. Don't know what happened to afterward but I sure hope she found a proper owner.

Last but not least, our big boy Bel (not a spelling mistake). Another German Shepherd mix but this time with Labrador. At least that's what the shelter said. We've had some people say he looked a bit like a Leonberger but nothing is sure with mutts. He's a bit over 12 years old now. The years have taken their toll on this poor guy. Always a bit hard to get up from the hardwood floor and there's no more jumping in the back of the truck. He was all small and fuzzy and cute and everything when we first saw him at the shelter, never thought he'd grow to the size that he is. Always ready for a ride in the car even though he was all bunched up. Happens with a family of 5 in a small 5 place VW Jetta. He had to lay down at the foot of the front passenger (my mom). Never whined and was always happy to hop in. Now he gets to ride in the back of the FJ Cruiser, much more comfy.

Lately I've been thinking about breaking the mutt habit and getting a pure breed German Shepherd. Although that's probably not going to happen any time soon. I don't see myself bringing in a pup with the old bear of a dog still around. He'd be jealous and the time that a pup requires would make me feel like I am neglecting him. Plus my time table as a student doesn't really allow much for a new hound in the house that needs to be trained and everything.

I guess that's it. If I think of something else I might have to break my intro into chapters. :D

Pics are a few years old, his nose is slightly more white. No pics of the other dogs, digital camera's barely or did not exist back then. :p
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/sgtpile/P1000374.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/sgtpile/P1010367.jpg

BastienBully
December 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Very nice "Mut" hehe

So im guessing you really like german shepherd :) Really good dogs, my uncle always had one of those, very loyal dogs and good with kids when well trained

chico2
December 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Alex,it's true,he actually looks like a LeonburgerX,beautiful fur,we have a couple of Leonburger owners here on the Forum.
I think you have the right idea,not to get another dog right now.

If you really want a pure German Shepard make sure to do your research on breeders,or go to a GSD rescue.

Love4himies
December 17th, 2010, 05:42 PM
He looks like Breeze's Archer who is a leonberger :cloud9:

Alexd92
December 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Like I said, I'm trying to read up all that I can on the breed, on training/obedience and different breeders. As I mentioned I'm interested in a loyal pet/companion. So I'm not really looking for a top title show/work dog. As long as he's from a reputable breeder with a good and healthy bloodline I'll be happy.

hazelrunpack
December 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Bel is a handsome boy, Alex! :flirt: Looks very leonbergerish. :D Welcome to the board!