Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urgent>winter>feral cats + water

VIOLET0019
December 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I have set up a feeding station on my front balcony to give the 6 feral cats food. Unfortunately this bitter cold has been freezing the water that I put out. I try my best to change it several times a day and use warm water......but it freezes up quickly.:(
HELP PLEASE?? Is it NOT safe to have water in a bowl that freezes up. My Mother is worried that the feral cats tongue will get stuck :eek:to the frozen water?!:yell::shrug: I know that it is so important for them to have water as they are eating dry food and are so thirsty.
I would appreciate any information, suggestions, other's experiences, etc. please:pray:.
(>I do not have access to any electrical outlet, and I cannot afford any special solar dishes. Thanks!)

sugarcatmom
December 15th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for feeding and looking after these kitties. Adding a tsp of sugar to warm water can help slow down the freezing process a touch, although when it's really cold it might be necessary to put out fresh water every few hours. Don't worry about the cat's tongue sticking to the ice. It seems to me that the coarse barbed texture helps prevent that.

Can you feed a bit of canned food now and then with some warm water added to help keep them hydrated? If you feed it at the same time everyday, the cats will get into a routine and the food won't sit out long enough to freeze.

Here are some winter tips when it comes to dealing with ferals: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=701

chico2
December 15th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I was going to suggest a bird-bath heater like I have,but then I notice no outlet:(
Thank you for helping ferals survive:grouphug:

Marty11
December 15th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Where are u in canada? Are there any electricians around?

Etown_Chick
December 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Mmm how about those hand warmer things that you press, and they give off heat for hours? If you had a metal dish and put one of them under the dish, it might give off enough heat to keep the water from freezing.
Might not, but it couldn't hurt to try.

clm
December 16th, 2010, 01:33 AM
You can buy heated water dishes at places like Princess Auto. You need to be able to plug them in but they'll keep the water or food you put out in the dishes from freezing.

clm

VIOLET0019
December 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I do NOT have access to an electrical outlet.

14+kitties
December 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I do NOT have access to an electrical outlet.

You said you had the station set up on your balcony. Is there a way you can run an extension cord under your door and still close the door? I know in my house normally the corner has enough of a gap that I can fit a cord through. Then any of the above suggestions could be tried. :thumbs up
Do you have some sort of a shelter on the balcony for them too? Or nearby? In our harsh winters shelter is a lot of times more urgent at times than water. It can be as simple as a wooden box built and insulated with lots of straw for them to snuggle into or as opulent as a grand house with insulated walls and tons of straw. Straw is the best insulators for cats to keep warm.

erykah1310
December 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM
We have a heated water bucket outside for the dogs in the pen, if you have any sort of horse supply store near you they have plenty.
For our smaller dish we just plug it into the power pack ( you can get these at Crappy Tire for less than $50 when they come on sale)
Thanks for taking care of these wee guys
On a side note... are any of them Himalayan looking??? lol