Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

open sore on kitties shoulder

ozball
December 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I found a starved skin & bones cat outside my apartment about 2 months ago. He has been taken to the vet for a check up & neuter. He was suffering from diarrhea which has now cleared up as well as a small callous like mark on his shoulder. The vet & I both assumed it must be a reaction to a booster, but since I was unable to find his owners if he had any there is no way to be sure. It hasn't healed and is now an open wound about the size of a dime. It appears to get better, then either he scratches it off or one of his playmates. He is approximately 9 months old eats well drinks more than "normal" but is very active and cuddly. Other than the obvious take him to the vet, I am not working and though the cats have food I do not. Any ideas??? I tried to upload a picture but was told invalid file so... Should I try washing it if so with what, and can i use polysporen? thanks

14+kitties
December 15th, 2010, 09:34 AM
As much as you do not want to hear it the kitty needs to go back to the vet. He will most likely need to have antibiotics to clear up the abscess. You could clean it with warm water but that will not clear up the infection.
I know there are links to financial aid for vet care for pets in another thread. Will do a search for them soon. I have to run for now.

ozball
December 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM
That's what I was afraid of though have been chanting a mantra, Cosby get better, Cosby get better. Before you knock it I do believe the power of positive thinking. My vet doesn't take partial payment or a payment plan and I haven't been able to work for 5 months now. Have had cats along time and I know to set aside money for these kinds of situations, but that money has been used up for their food. Never meant to have 4 cats but the word has gotten around and a friend could no longer care for a big 10 year old fluff ball. Tia, Cosby and Fluffy are very picky and only eat wet food, which is of course preferred but also expensive. There is no Christmas for me or them this year, I just want to get Cosby better. All I want for Christmas is a healthy family, me and my crew!:pray::sick:

Love4himies
December 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Have you talked to your vet or local humane society about getting some funding from local charities such as Ontario's Farley Foundation? This shouldn't be too big of a cost as it would be a check up and antibiotics. Any relatives that you could borrow the money from?

BenMax
December 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
There are hard times everywhere and here the SPCA does have extra donated food that they will hand out to people that are having financial difficulties. Please contact them, plead your case...you may not only get food but some assistance medical wise. If you do not ask...you don't get. The worst they could say is no...

Also, contact rescue groups to see if they can help. I know that many rescues are stretched, but they do assist if they can. Try this avenue if the above does not work out.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Help is out there, you just need to bang on some doors. Even offer your services to volunteer to make up for it..taking and giving back usually produces some great Karma...and connections.

Best of luck to you.