Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

found a very small, short whitish-pinkish worm on dog's paws

aubby
December 14th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hey there,

I found a small, short whitish-pinkish translucent worm about an inch long worm on my dog's paws after taking him for a walk. The worm is about as thick as a toothpick. Is this worm just a worm my dog picked up from his walk around the dirt, or is he infected? I never saw any worm on my dog's stools.

Please help! I'm a new pet owner, and I don't know if my dog is seriously infected with a roundworm. Of course, I'll see the vet as soon as I can, but I would just like to have an idea if my dog is infected at all, and/or how severe the infection is. :confused:

Thanks.

Dog Dancer
December 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Was the worm attached to the foot (like dug into the flesh) or was it just sitting on the dogs hair? It's entirely possible it just got picked up on the walk. That said, if you have never had your dogs stool tested for worms you really should.

the gang
December 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
i agree, good luck, brenda and the pins

aubby
December 19th, 2010, 03:09 AM
It's more likely like the worm was sitting on my dog's hair, since when I quickly wiped his paws (I usually wipe his paws with a damp towel everytime before he comes in the house), the worm was on the towel. Anyways I went to the vet and had his stools tested, and he's clean =) I guess my dog might have stepped on another dog's stools that had worms, or just stepped on garden worms. Thanks for the help.