Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need to Stop Dog Barking Now!

violagirl
December 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have a friend with two dogs. An 11 year old retriever and a 4 year old terrier/poodle rescue. Due to a recent change in circumstances, she is now living in a duplex.

Neighbours are starting to complain about dogs barking. They don't bark incessantly. The poodle will bark when it sees someone outside or hears someone or if out on lead to do his business may bark at kittens next door. This was never a problem before because she lived in her own house.

Is there any way to quickly convince a dog not to bark? The old dog only barks when she wants to play so that can be dealt with easier.

Most advice I've read is to say NO. Obviously most people say no or stop or quiet when their dogs start to bark so that advice seemed stupid. By that time the dog is already barking and apparantly this is too much for the neighbours.

How to prevent the barking in the first place?

cassiek
December 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I have a friend with two dogs. An 11 year old retriever and a 4 year old terrier/poodle rescue. Due to a recent change in circumstances, she is now living in a duplex.

Neighbours are starting to complain about dogs barking. They don't bark incessantly. The poodle will bark when it sees someone outside or hears someone or if out on lead to do his business may bark at kittens next door. This was never a problem before because she lived in her own house.

Can your friend keep her poodle in a crate or room when she is gone, so the dog can't see out the window? Could she cover the windows with drapes? What about keeping the dog distracted while she is gone with Kongs, puzzle toys, etc? Perhaps some of the barking is from boredom.
Is there any way to quickly convince a dog not to bark? The old dog only barks when she wants to play so that can be dealt with easier.

Most advice I've read is to say NO. Obviously most people say no or stop or quiet when their dogs start to bark so that advice seemed stupid. By that time the dog is already barking and apparantly this is too much for the neighbours.

How to prevent the barking in the first place?

There are collars you can also purchase to deter barking. I am not a big fan of shock collars, but have used a citronella spray collar before with good success. We keep our dogs crated in the basement when we are gone, so if they do bark they won't disturb the neighbours. We also leave toys, music, etc. as we find our one dog in particular likes to bark alot when he is bored - we try to get to the source of why he is barking and remove that trigger.

We try not to deter barking too much, because after all they are dogs and ours naturally bark alot when they play. Also, we like when our dogs bark to alert us to people wandering around the yard, etc. so we don't want to purposely discourage it or teach them that barking is "bad".

Good luck!

mastifflover
December 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I have used the citronella collar and it was quite effective in fact after the first week I tried a little experiment and put his collar on as usual before I left for work and instead of citronella I had put some dimes taped together to simulate the weight of the canister and tried it no barking he thought he would get sprayed so he didn't bark. I put it on before I left and took it off as soon as I came in the door. Eventually it was no longer needed

violagirl
December 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
The dogs are crated in the basement when she is not there. So they dont' bark then. I personally don't think they bark too much. They are dogs after all.

A typical scenario would be someone pulls up next door and shuts car door. He hears it - does a woo woo woo wooo for MAYBE 15 seconds? Then she gets him quieted. It is a loud bark and it may echo more because it is a large open area with hardwood floors.

She lives alone. She wants the dog to bark when it hears something outside but since she is forced to live at the moment in a duplex she has to either get the dog to not bark at all or move.