Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat seems bored

Kalou
December 13th, 2010, 08:01 AM
My cat Kalou (2 1/2 years old) walks around the house meowing a lot (especially at night). However when I try to get him to play during the day, he doesn't really seem interested. My other cat who is a bit younger kind of dominates play time and Kalou just sits back and watches. I am worried that he is bored. Any ideas?

catlover2
December 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Had you changed around his toys lately? Only keep a few toys out at a time, and then change them every week. It doesn't have to be expensive store-bought toys.

Cats often find an empty box (cut some holes in the side so cat can go in and out) irrestible, and something like a ping pong/foil/paper ball in it fun to bat around.

Some of those fuzzy pipe cleaners twisted up cats love to play with.

For an interactive toy to play with him, most cats can't resist "Da Bird". (available at most pet stores).

Do you put catnip on his stuffed toys occasionally?

You can make him work for his treats or kibble. Make sure they are good quality grain-free ones (e.g. Now! for treats, and Nature's Variety or Evo for kibble). Drop a couple on the floor to get him started; then continue to drop them around your house/apt. in places that are accessible and let him go on a "treasure hunt" to find them. My cats love this. In your case I'd do it just before you go to bed, then perhaps he won't meow so much and then will feel sleepy after he's eaten.

Buy him a cat DVD that features birds and other small mammals. Most cats love to watch this, tho the chubby cream cat in the demo video looks like it could use more interactive play with "Da Bird". :) http://www.catdvd.com/

Sometimes my cats like watching Animal Planet on TV--especially the Meerkats or even the big cats stalking game---they recognize they're cats by their body language.

A cat tree near a window, and a bird feeder outside will be a constant source of interest for Kalou.

Am sure others will come along to offer some more ideas.

catlover2
December 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I suggest you put your younger cat in a separate room while you have interactive one-on-one time with Kalou, otherwise, he'll likely still sit back and just watch the younger one get all the play.

Kalou
December 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
These are great suggestions! Thank you so much!

Catsfan
December 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I had the same problem with my Mighty. I want to say that cat trees are great for cats in many ways and I think that can help you. Your two cats will have place to call their own, up and away from everything else.They can run up and down them and they can use them to scratch. Not only does scratching help remove the old sheaths from their claws, but it also excersizes their front leg and shoulder muscles.

Floppy Dog
December 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
In addition to the bird feeder outside the window, keep the outside light turned on, if there is on. It will attract insects; instant cat TV.