Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bitch vs. fixed male

rifka53
September 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM
:confused: I have a five year old neutered male dog, and have just adopted a two year old female dog who was just spayed the day before. She obviously hasn't realized that her sex drive is gone...so she's humping my poor dog like crazy. How can I keep her off of him? When is she going to calm down? Also, they have a bit of a rivalry over toys, bones, etc. They eat fine, they walk fine, but when they both have a bone they still fight each other for each other's. How can I make this stop? Will they ever just calm down? :rolleyes:

LavenderRott
September 16th, 2004, 05:29 PM
"Humping" like you describe is not sexual, it is dominant. Your new girl wants your dog to know that she is the boss.

She should calm down when you show her that YOU are the boss and you will not tolerate such rude behavior from her towards anyone or anything.

Your best bet is to find a class to get her into and do it pronto. Shows of dominance can escalate.

As for the bones, give them in different rooms. If they are crate trained, that is even better. Want a bone? Get in your crate.

Lucky Rescue
September 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I agree with LavenderRott - this is more to do with dominance.

A new dog should NOT be given so much freedom in the house in the beginning, until she learns her place. I would restrict her for now, and would not give high value treats like bones to both dogs together. This is asking for a fight.

Bone should only be given to dogs when they are separated. It's natural for them to fight for such great prizes.