Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got me a Christmas Kitty!!

pattymac
December 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hey everybody, doon't post much these days..but I'm here!!

Anyway, it's been COLD here in Saskatchewan lately!! So last night at work, people coming into the store I'm working at start telling us there's a kitten outside! Not something I want to hear! I'm thinking Good Lord it's like -30 with the wind chill. So I start thinking what can I do, I still have 1.5 hours to work and I can't exactly bring her in to the store just loose! So my co-worker suggests one of those carry baskets to put her in. Then I remember I have a satchel with emergency clothes in my van. So I go out and see this little kitten, think she's about 4 or 5 months old, calico with splotches and stripes..pretty cool colouring. So next will she let me pick her up..yup! Phew! So stuff her into the satchel, amazing how long kitty legs can get! Bring her in the store and stick her in the staff bathroom. So she was a pretty good little girl in there.

Trip home I have a 45 minute drive, so she doesn't like being stuck in a bag, so she manages to get out. I'm thinking great, middle of nowhere highway, late at night and I have a crazy kitten loose in my van! Bad enough I have to worry about deer and coyotes crossing the highway!! But nope, she comes and sits on my shoulder and then discovers the back seat. So she curls up and goes to sleep! Yay!

Get her home and set her up in the porch. She likes the heaters! Gave her a small supper and some water. She's pretty skinny, can feel hip bones, not something you can feel really in any of my boys. So I think she slept in the crate so she has a safe place. This morning when I went out to put her in the crate to let Bayley out, I couldn't find her right off, then I see a tail and 2 hind feet sticking out of Bayley's bone box!! We have a raw eater here I think!! So she also used the litter box, that was a main concern!

So gotta make her a vet appt. for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't come down with a kitty cold, so I can likely get something just in case. Get her shots, wormed and see if she needs a spay, which I'm assuming she will.
No frostbite though, which is a very good thing. Her paws are dirty though, so I think she was on her own for a while. Her coat is a bit dirty too, but I'll let her settle down and in a bit before I start molesting her. She's very lovey though, I suppose she could be in heat. Never having had a girl kitty!

So after she gets an all clear from the vets, we have to try introductions. The boys don't seem too concerned that she's out in the porch and they know she's there, cause she has a MEOW!! Maybe that she's a girl makes a difference to them. Last year when I had the male in the porch, Bobee was at the door constantly, trying to get at him. He did a little sniffing and his usual trying to open the door but otherwise no big deal.

So I will try to post pics later and I need name suggestions! Oh and I am not bothering to post any ads. I checked the local pet lost and found and there's nothing. Cats around here are pretty much considered disposable. They'd have to come to Alsask too and I don't think most people would drive 60 km to pick up a stray kitten!

Kalou
December 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Reading this just made my day! I'm so glad you have helped out this poor little kitten!

Shaykeija
December 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
How about Noella.....Sounds Christmasy

Love4himies
December 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yay another stray kitty rescued off the cold streets :angel: :grouphug:

I like Noella, it is Christmassy and feminine :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
December 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
awww pattymac your an :angel2: I'm so glad u rescued this poor girl,,,she would of froze!! I like Noella too! :thumbs up

aws1
December 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks so much for rescuing that little kitten. Just loved the part when she got lose in the van and came up to sit on your shoulder:cloud9:May your time together be filled with love and joy

rainbow
December 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Bless you, pattymac for rescuing the poor baby. :angel: :grouphug:

She sounds adorable and I also like the name Noella ......can't wait to see pics of her. :goodvibes:

pattymac
December 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think Noella will win! Thanks guys! I took a few pics with my caca camera. Everytime I snapped it and the flash went she closed her eyes! It's not very bright here today so I'll have to try again on a sunny day but I will put the ones I have up in the photo section.

I decided to give her 3 or 4 small meals a day, she's skinny but I don't want to overload her tummy. She's having a snack right now. Once she finishes the can I have, it's just no name I have a couple of cans of EVO kitten food, that I bought by mistake, glad I did now :) I'm certainly not used to having a kitty that's as light as a feather! Picking her up is like there's nothing there!

chico2
December 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
:grouphug:to you Patty,you saved a little life,I think Noella is a very pretty name....got to check for pics,she is a very lucky little girl:cat:

pattymac
December 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
So she's got a bit of the poops, keeping an eye on that, I have lots of pumpkin if she needs it. I think it's just the fact that she's getting some food. I have lots of water for her. Maybe I can get her to the vets tomorrow afternoon.

She's not afraid of Bayley, who is absolutely fascinated by her. I put her in her crate when I'm letting Bayley out, but when Bayley comes over to look at her, she doesn't hiss or get all fluffed.

Dee-O-Gee
December 12th, 2010, 09:06 PM
What a wonderful story/thread Pattymac. I :lovestruck: happy endings. :cloud9:

Now we need to think of a beautiful name for your beautiful girl. :cloud9:

Star
Noel

Maybe something to do with holiday season? :shrug:

pattymac
December 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
We're going with Noella. Figured that was a good one. heheh thought she'd be afraid of the washer spinning, it's pretty noisy but nope, she's lying on the dryer beside it. She should really like it when I turn the dryer on

rg_girlca
December 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Aww Pattymac, what a lifesaver you are. Thank you and Bless you for having such a kind heart and rescuing this kitty from the cold. Now, I'm on my way to check out her picture. :D

pattymac
December 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM
She's a tough little kitty..carried her into the house for a few minutes today. Bobee and Coco both got grrrrrred at! Nino was passed out somewhere and didn't see her. She still doesn't mind Bayley even when she had to jump up to take a better look at the new addition.

Have to trim her toenails before I bring her in, they're typically kitten sharp.