Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog has a smaller toe on one paw

makangus
December 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have a question about my dog's paw and I haven't been able to find an
answer so I am hoping you could help me. On her hind legs, one of her non-weight bearing toes on one paw is smaller than the same toe on the other
paw. It's noticeably smaller and when she's standing square I can see the
toe is not touching the ground. The pad on the toe also angled 45degrees
forward instead of touching the ground. It doesn't seem to affect her in any
way and it's something she has always had. Now she's 5 months and her paws are getting bigger and it's becoming more noticeable. Does anyone know what caused it? and if there's a name for it?

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Can you post a picture, makangus?

makangus
December 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Here you go. Thanks

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Doesn't look too bad, yet--some sort of developmental thing, maybe? Have you had your vet look at it? :fingerscr it doesn't cause any problems as your dog grows!

rainbow
December 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I have no idea but when my sibe was a pup one of his ears was slightly bigger than the other. I was all worried at the time and did get my vet to look at him but she'd never seen anything like that before. By the time he was fully grown they were both the same size. :D

Hope it's nothing to worry about. :fingerscr

Btw, welcome to pets.ca and would love to see a full pic of your girl. :goodvibes:

makangus
December 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
It doesn't affect her at all and I don't think it will ever. Though, it does seem like it's a permanent thing and I don't thing the toe is going to catch up the growth to other toes. The toe feels more flimsy and the bone, tendon, etc. feel a lot smaller and softer than the same toe from the other paw.

makangus
December 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
took a good picture today of the paw and her

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
You puppers is gorgeous! You know, the toe doesn't look like it would be an issue for her at all. I personally wouldn't worry about. Certainly next time you're at the vet ask about it, but beyond that, if the vet is okay with it, she'll probably be fine. I would also be cautious if the vet suggests removing it without any really good cause. Unless the toe was inflamed or giving her problems I just can't see it as being a problem! You're a good doggy daddy for being concerned about it though. Better safe than sorry.

makangus
December 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks, I am going to ask the vet when I bring her in for spaying next month. Just like you said I wouldn't let the vet do anything unless the toe bothers her. She had it forever anyway, I wonder if she was hurt or has broken her toe when she was tiny.

rainbow
December 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Your girl is gorgeous :lovestruck: and I love her colouring. :cloud9:

I'm sure she won't encounter any problems with her toe like that and it probably was a birth defect. Glad you are getting her spayed and hope you stay around here and keep us updated. I'd love to see pics of her growing up. :goodvibes:

Etown_Chick
December 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Oh my gosh she is STUNNING! I don't know how you'd notice her paw, I couldn't take my eyes off that face!
It's probably just the way she is. Be curious to hear what the vet says, though.

makangus
December 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks. I will keep you guys up to date about the vet, we are going in about 3 weeks. Please let me know if anyone has had experience with this.

makangus
December 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
better lighting :)

Marty11
December 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM
She is sooooo pretty. I'm sure it's ok but check it out. My guy has an unusual dew claw that is kinda trying to grow, but he never bothers with it. They were removed :( but it seems ok.

rainbow
December 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Is she collie/shepherd cross? ......keep those pics coming. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Dang, she's a cutie!! :flirt:

makangus
December 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM
She's a Belgian Shepherd, Belgian Tervuren to be exact.

makangus
January 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
We went to the vet and took an xray finally. It seems like the bone inside her pinky toe is much shorter than the rest. Vet said it could be some kind of birth defect or it was broken when she was really small. Nothing to worry about.

hazelrunpack
January 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Whew! Thanks for the update, makangus!

More pics, pls? :D

makangus
January 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
haha, here

Dog Dancer
January 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Glad to hear it was nothing to worry about. She is so beautiful. So I assume she had her spay and that it went well. Hope so. Really glad to see you're still with us.

hedgiemama
January 12th, 2011, 03:04 PM
what a gorgeous dog you have !:lovestruck: its great to hear it was nothing to work about.

hazelrunpack
January 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
:flirt: Thanks for the pic, makangus!

kigndano
January 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM
cool lookin doogy

rainbow
January 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Glad to hear that her tow is nothing to worry about. :thumbs up

I love that last pic :cloud9: .....I think you should find your way to the Photo Forum here and keep them coming. :D