Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat spraying problem....

jencell
December 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Here is my problem and I need your thoughts....

I have 2 siberian cats, one female and one male,brother and sister. They are 2 years old, both spayed and neutered very young. The female is a little bit shy, my male has a lot of character, but both very sweet and affectionate. Both loves the outdoors, they go on harness and leash and spend some time outside...

It's been a several months that my boy has been urinating and spraying in many areas of our home on different occasions. He does use his litter box as well. He's been checked for urinary problems and he's ok. I always check his litter box, his volume of urine is good. He eats wet food morning and evening and a little bit of dry during the day and night....since he likes to eats several small meals during the day...

He likes to pee on stuff left on the floor, like bags, purse, grocery bags, carpet, curtain, whatever is left on the floor..even on my bed, on a duvet throw (I close my bedroom now after washing it 5 times...) Luckily I have hardwood floors and I am home a lot,so I can quickly clean up and get rid of the smell....

I have 3 litter boxes throughout the house, very clean, nothing have changed...he does use it when he feels like it...;) I also put feliway diffuser throughout the house.

At night, I put my male in the bathroom with his bed, water and toys so he can't have access to all the house. He always use his litter box while there..I leave nothing on the floor of course..so maybe that's why! ;)...but I can't control everything in other areas of the house, at some point there's always something on the floor..so I have to find a solution, I can't wash everything all the time...

Many people say that I won't be able to break this habit that I should give him away...I can't and I will try everything I can to work on a solution. I won't give this problem to someone else they might not have my patience...;O)

so Here are my questions:

1) Is this possible that he's no longer able to live with another cat and should be the only cat?

...since they are adult they don't get along very much, never sleep together, they don't play together, they fight a lot. Maybe he's always marking his territory to say ''I'm the boss''' to my female?

2) Do Strange cats outside can make an indoor cat go crazy and although the ouside cat cannot reach him,the cat inside will hurry and put his scent wherever he can in HIS house?

How can I tell if it's strange cats that cause the problem or my female in the house? And how come he won't do it if there's nothing on the floor?

3) Is stress can cause this?

I thought about letting him be a outside cat (and sleeping in the garage at night) since he always wants to be outside, always at the end of his leash wanting to go further, he seems hyperactive all the time...like stressed..is this possible he can't be an indoor cat? But for sure, there are a lot of risks associated with living outdoors...but between this and giving him to someone that won't care, I prefer letting him free.... Maybe anti-depressants?

I won't give up but i'm stressed a lot because of this....the day I brought him home,he became my responsability,I love him and owe it to him to figure out why he does the things he does..

He's a gorgeous cat, my little lynx, I can't let him go.
I made a appointment with another vet so I have another opinion.

thanks so much for your help!

14+kitties
December 9th, 2010, 08:33 AM

1) Is this possible that he's no longer able to live with another cat and should be the only cat?

...since they are adult they don't get along very much, never sleep together, they don't play together, they fight a lot. Maybe he's always marking his territory to say ''I'm the boss''' to my female?

2) Do Strange cats outside can make an indoor cat go crazy and although the ouside cat cannot reach him,the cat inside will hurry and put his scent wherever he can in HIS house?

How can I tell if it's strange cats that cause the problem or my female in the house? And how come he won't do it if there's nothing on the floor?

I thought about letting him be a outside cat (and sleeping in the garage at night) since he always wants to be outside, always at the end of his leash wanting to go further, he seems hyperactive all the time...like stressed..is this possible he can't be an indoor cat? But for sure, there are a lot of risks associated with living outdoors...but between this and giving him to someone that won't care, I prefer letting him free.... Maybe anti-depressants?

I won't give up but i'm stressed a lot because of this....the day I brought him home,he became my responsability,I love him and owe it to him to figure out why he does the things he does..

1) Not likely. They have been raised together. He is used to having her around.

2) Yes, entirely possible. Especially if those cats are intact and spraying outside. Cats have amazing little noses.

3) Possibly he is stressed.

As for letting him outside is there a possibility of building an enclosed area for him so he is safe with access to the garage? Possibly an enclosure that can be attached to the garage. That way the cat can be "outside" safely. The only thing you would have to be aware of is when the big door at the front is open he doesn't escape that way.
I love this site http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

What product(s) are you using for cleaning? They have to be able to completely mask the smell of urine. Using a bleach will not work as it contains the same properties as cat urine. You need a cleaner like Nature's Miracle or you can try 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water sprayed on the area and cleaned. Then sprayed again. Black lights let you know if you have managed to clean all urine.
Have you changed his litter lately? Even changing the brand of litter may do it. You could also try a product called Cat Attract. http://www.preciouscat.com/attract-litter-additivebronly-available-through-your-p-7.html
I know you say you can not control the rest of the house but if your family is aware the cat urinates on items left on the floor I would think they'd do their best not to leave things on the floor. ;)
Have you had his sister checked for illnesses? He could be reacting to her being sick.
If all else fails you may need to start from scratch and treat him like a new cat. Keep him in a small room with only his items and litter box. You say when you put him in the bathroom he uses his box. This may be the answer - for now.

jencell
December 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM
1) Not likely. They have been raised together. He is used to having her around.

2) Yes, entirely possible. Especially if those cats are intact and spraying outside. Cats have amazing little noses.

3) Possibly he is stressed.

As for letting him outside is there a possibility of building an enclosed area for him so he is safe with access to the garage? Possibly an enclosure that can be attached to the garage. That way the cat can be "outside" safely. The only thing you would have to be aware of is when the big door at the front is open he doesn't escape that way.
I love this site http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

What product(s) are you using for cleaning? They have to be able to completely mask the smell of urine. Using a bleach will not work as it contains the same properties as cat urine. You need a cleaner like Nature's Miracle or you can try 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water sprayed on the area and cleaned. Then sprayed again. Black lights let you know if you have managed to clean all urine.
Have you changed his litter lately? Even changing the brand of litter may do it. You could also try a product called Cat Attract. http://www.preciouscat.com/attract-litter-additivebronly-available-through-your-p-7.html
I know you say you can not control the rest of the house but if your family is aware the cat urinates on items left on the floor I would think they'd do their best not to leave things on the floor. ;)
Have you had his sister checked for illnesses? He could be reacting to her being sick.
If all else fails you may need to start from scratch and treat him like a new cat. Keep him in a small room with only his items and litter box. You say when you put him in the bathroom he uses his box. This may be the answer - for now.

1) You must right. They are not the best friends but not enemies...he chases her around a lot and the female hiss at him but I guess it's in their nature...it's just that I find their play session a little rough....

2) There are a lot of intact cats outside, it makes him really stress I think. maybe the vet could give me something to calm him down...

3) I noticed that his skin on his back has some spasms, like a rolling skin...maybe a sign of stress?..I will tell this to the vet also

Thanks for your suggestion. yes that might be possible to build something outside...
I always use Miracle cleaner to clean urine. Clean 2 to 3 times each spot...thank god we have no carpet here, much easier..;)

As for letting nothing on the floor, we do our best...as for beds...sometimes we forget to close the door of bedrooms...;( and it happens, not all the times....but a few times...

The female seems fine. She will have a checkup also next week. She eats well, lot of energy, nothing wrong that I see..but we never know.

I won't despair and will continue to try to find the real cause.

I am moving soon so if stray cats are the problems, I will soon find out. We are moving outside of the city so maybe less cats will be around to cause trouble?..

I really appreciate your input and fast answer.

catlover2
December 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM
A blacklight will show up any urine spots or spray as green or black in a dark room. Mark the spots and spray generously with "Nature's Miracle", let is soak in for a while. It's likely the stud spray from outdoor cats. Cats can smell it even if the windows are closed. An outdoor enclosure is the best solution to keep safe and allow him outside.

Love4himies
December 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Here is my problem and I need your thoughts....

I have 2 siberian cats, one female and one male,brother and sister. They are 2 years old, both spayed and neutered very young. The female is a little bit shy, my male has a lot of character, but both very sweet and affectionate. Both loves the outdoors, they go on harness and leash and spend some time outside...

It's been a several months that my boy has been urinating and spraying in many areas of our home on different occasions. He does use his litter box as well. He's been checked for urinary problems and he's ok. I always check his litter box, his volume of urine is good. He eats wet food morning and evening and a little bit of dry during the day and night....since he likes to eats several small meals during the day...
What brand are you feeding him?

He likes to pee on stuff left on the floor, like bags, purse, grocery bags, carpet, curtain, whatever is left on the floor..even on my bed, on a duvet throw (I close my bedroom now after washing it 5 times...) Luckily I have hardwood floors and I am home a lot,so I can quickly clean up and get rid of the smell....

That sounds like he is marking YOU as his territory. Does his urine have a strong odour?

I have 3 litter boxes throughout the house, very clean, nothing have changed...he does use it when he feels like it...;) I also put feliway diffuser throughout the house.

At night, I put my male in the bathroom with his bed, water and toys so he can't have access to all the house. He always use his litter box while there..I leave nothing on the floor of course..so maybe that's why! ;)...but I can't control everything in other areas of the house, at some point there's always something on the floor..so I have to find a solution, I can't wash everything all the time...

Many people say that I won't be able to break this habit that I should give him away...I can't and I will try everything I can to work on a solution. I won't give this problem to someone else they might not have my patience...;O)
You are right, that is passing off the problem to somebody else and nobody will take a cat who pees all over everything. Are you washing your laundry with the Miracle cleaner too?

Nope, thinking this has nothing to do with his sister

Are you sure they are fighting or playing rough? Huge difference, you would not be able to keep two of them together if they were fighting. Sweet Pea hisses at Jasper when they play, then Jasper turns his back and she attacks him :frustrated:.

Absolutely they can! My Jasper has that issue if he can't get outside to mark his territory. He actually will run up to a particular bush sniff it for a while, then turn to spray. Does your cat do that?

Could be he wants something to bury, or it is your scent that is making him pee. And the simple solution is not to leave anything on the floor.

So do I understand that he would never be allowed in the house? :(

Good idea for another appt :thumbs up. Do you have any cat vets in your area? Have him test for testosterone just in case the vet who did the neutering didn't get all the tissue out.

chico2
December 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
jencell,I had exactly the same problem with my Rocky,in his case it was definitely cats outside,he would get all excited and then spray.
He also had Hyperthyroidism,not that I really think it was related,but strangely enough the spraying stopped(not entirely)when he was on meds.

I also used Feli-Way plug-ins.
Putting him in the bathroom at night,might highten your kittys stresslevel,we ended up closing the bedroom and livingroom-doors,never leaving anything on the floor,then we put foil on the places he seemed to favor,not very decorative but it helped.

The thought of giving him away,never entered my mind(although it did hubbys),I got him as a kitten and whatever problem he had,was mine to solve.
There always is a reason why cats behave like they do.

Another thing we used to do,was shooing any cats away that were in our back-yard.
There is a Calico coming around even now almost every day,I know where she lives,but we only need to open the patio-door and she runs away:cat:

14+kitties
December 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
1)
I am moving soon so if stray cats are the problems, I will soon find out. We are moving outside of the city so maybe less cats will be around to cause trouble?..

Ummm, did you have your house up for sale? Were there people coming through to view? Was kitty locked up during those times? Has there been a lot more human stress in the house during this time? Have you slowly been packing things away and/or did you do a huge house clean up before starting to show the home? Was anything altered as in construction, people in and out during construction phases, etc. Any of those things may be enough to throw off some cats. They absolutely hate change. Even a tiny bit!!

Love4himies
December 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Good point 14+ :thumbs up. Cats do not like change and some do not like strangers in their house.

Ummm, did you have your house up for sale? Were there people coming through to view? Was kitty locked up during those times? Has there been a lot more human stress in the house during this time? Have you slowly been packing things away and/or did you do a huge house clean up before starting to show the home? Was anything altered as in construction, people in and out during construction phases, etc. Any of those things may be enough to throw off some cats. They absolutely hate change. Even a tiny bit!!

chico2
December 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
so true,when my son and his gf were visiting from Alberta a few years ago,one of the cats pooped on our bed,it has never happened again.

lindapalm
December 10th, 2010, 11:57 PM
We had no luck with trying everything, and resorted to meds. So far its worked, and its been three months. Good luck.