Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

leg tumor (cat)

Leighbrown
December 9th, 2010, 01:42 AM
My cat has a tumor on his leg that went away for about 8 months but now is back and is bigger. I live on a pension and cannot take him to a vet.

He is 11 years old and still eats and drinks and is not in pain. The only real problem with the tumor is that it is very messy(which I am fine with).

I am wondering if anyone knows of a spray I could use to cover it so it will heal faster? He cleans it often and it bleeds a lot. It is about 2 inches long. He is a big (20 lb) cat.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Leighbrown
December 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Oops. Didn't realize pic would be so big (and gross). :sorry:

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Leigh, this looks very serious. Has he ever had it looked at by a vet? He really should go. An open wound like that can lead to a serious infection at the very best.

Some vets will let you arrange a payment plan so you can pay off the bill in smaller amounts. Please call around and see if you can find one that will help you out. Your cat really needs to see a vet!

Keep us posted, Leigh, and I hope all turns out well for your kitty!!

beckiandthetrio
December 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with Hazel, it does look very serious. If those middle areas are black (hard to tell in pic) that is dead tissue which needs to be treated ASAP. The vet will probably want to debride it (clean it out) and start antibiotics also.

I understand the vet issue, believe me I do but by not doing anything will most likely result in a bad outcome. Can you borrow some money or apply for vet insurance/care credit??

Hope your baby feels better:grouphug:

Leighbrown
December 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi there, thanks for the replies. He did see a vet a couple of years ago when I first noticed a lump. The vet said it was a "benign cancer". I had always assumed "cancer" was never "benign" but he insisted.

He quoted $1200. to have it surgically removed but I was also told that it would possibly grow back. It had the black areas at that time as well but did disappear completely. There was no sign of it for about 8-9 months and then suddenly I saw signs of it returning.

Because it went away before and because I was told surgery would not necessarily get rid of it for good and because I cannot afford to treat it surgically, I do hope that it will go away again.

My cat doesn't seem to be any different except for this gross leg. It is messy. I do a lot of laundry and have had to roll up my carpet and cover furniture. I am happy to continue doing this for 10 years if necessary but had heard that there was a spray that would not only keep him from cleaning the area but might help to heal it faster.

I am hoping someone will be familiar with this spray and seeing the photo will be able to recommend whether I should pursue this option.

Thanks again for the replies. It was very thoughtful of you both to take the time. I will keep reading. :thumbs up

catlover2
December 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Has this tumor come back in the exact same place as the last one? If so, you might want to discuss having the cat's leg amputated. With a senior cat this is something that would have to be discussed by a vet, but might be a better solution in the long run. Most animals get along well with 3 legs and adjust better than people to losing a limb. You really should have a vet look at this before it gets worse. Maybe your vet would allow you to pay in installments. Some vets will do this.

14+kitties
December 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I pm'd Dr Lee. Hopefully he can pop in and advise. He's a great vet and would never lead you wrong.
However, my personal feel is this cat needs to see the vet asap!

Dr Lee
December 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I will discuss conservative options that may help. (Of course, seeing a vet and having a full workup, surgery, etc is strongly recommended for the pet's best interest).

Wound care:
1) The moisture of the tumor can collect dust, dirt and bacteria. Keeping it clean is important. While betadine diluted with water is preferred, warm soapy water will also work. I am not always a fan of hydrogen peroxide. This can be done if dirt is seen.
2) A light layer of neosporin or other triple antibiotic can be applied to the top of the mass. I would recommend against the use of any cortisone cream.

It is very important to watch out for infection. If the skin around the mass becomes red, swollen, warm or uncomfortable or any pus is seen - then the pet needs to see the veterinarian at once. Your pet may need oral antibiotics. The problem with tumors is that as they grow they do not have an organized system of blood supply. Thus as the tumor enlarges, parts of the tumor lose blood supply and can degenerate and die. This leads to infection. Furthermore, there immune system of the area is compromised so infections can occur for this reason as well.

Nutritionally, if there is cancer, utilizing a high protein, higher fat, low carbohydrate diet can increase survivability. Your veterinarian may have a prescription diet like Therapeutic Diet m/d. An over the counter option that can be used would be a canned kitten food. Over the counter dry cat foods will all have too high of a carbohydrate composition. Cancer metabolizes simple carbohydrates by anaerobic respiration which leads to an "energy vacuum" via excess lactic acid and the resulting use of the Cori Cycle. Instead of producing energy by burning carbohydrates, the tumor uses up energy from the body. This leads to a loss of energy as carbohydrates are consumed. The more carbohydrates a cancer patient eats, the more energy that is lost! Even in a large or overweight animal, the problem with energy loss and weight loss in cancer patients is that fat and muscle are lost at similar rates. This is in contrast to a normal "dieting" situation or lack of calories with a normal animal where fat loss exceeds muscle loss. Thus an overweight pet may lose muscle mass while not "looking thin" or as if the pet has lost weight. As muscle mass is lost, so the body's reserves, strength and immune system deteriorates. This can happen slowly. Also carbohydrates assist tumor growth where fat metabolism does not. Having additional amino acids like arginine have been shown to reduce the tumor growth rate and tumor metastasis (spread) rate in rat models. Furthermore a low omega 6: omega 3 ratio can help reduce inflammation. Most cancers will release inflammatory chemicals (interleukins, TNF, etc). Having increased omega 3 fatty acids like DHA can help. Of course, all of this depends upon the type of mass and whether the cancer is just local or if it has system (overall body) effects.

Please PM me if you have additional concerns or questions.

I hope that this helps.

Finally, have you thought about a second opinion? Perhaps there may be other less costly options.

Leighbrown
December 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Dr. Lee, I don't see an option for me to post you by PM.

I really appreciate your response. Something I forgot to add was that he had this for a year and a half and then it went away for 8-9 months with no sign that it ever existed.

He is a mainecoon so heavy but not fat and still demands to eat before meal time. He drinks a lot of water (always has) and except for the obvious problem you wouldn't know he had anything wrong.

I will re-read your in depth nutritional advice. It is a lot of valuable information that I want to take the time to absorb.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. It looks like I will have to find a way to make a visit to a the vet.

Thank you again.

sugarcatmom
December 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Leighbrown,

Not sure where you're located, but there are several organizations that can provide financial assistance to pet owners. Some are just for cats, some are for pets with cancer, and many are specifically for pensioners. Please look into these links:

http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navId=163
http://www.farleyfoundation.org/
http://www.sparkyfightsback.com/financial_aid.htm

Leighbrown
December 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hi Sugarcat mom, I am in Canada. Thank you for the links though. To tell you the truth even if I were wealthy I would not want to put him through the stress of surgery if it was just going to come back so I was hoping a magic spray would cure it. I know I am a dreamer.

thanks so much for the help to everyone.

BenMax
December 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Also, if you call rescue groups they may also have a fund for such cases with people on limited income. Some vets do as well.

Ask..the worst they can say is no.

Leighbrown
December 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks Benmax. I will look into that.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Your kitty is only 11 years old, which is about 50 in human years. If you had a choice between saving your life, or saving your limb, what would you choose?

Animals actually come through loosing a limb much better than humans, they live for the day and if they are getting love and care, they are happy.

Good luck, I hope you get the funding you deserve to make your kitty better so you can enjoy him for another 11 years :grouphug:

14+kitties
December 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hi Sugarcat mom, I am in Canada. Thank you for the links though. To tell you the truth even if I were wealthy I would not want to put him through the stress of surgery if it was just going to come back so I was hoping a magic spray would cure it. I know I am a dreamer.

thanks so much for the help to everyone.

The Farley Foundation IS in Canada. :thumbs up Pets.ca is a Canadian site. Never hurts to find out if they can help. :fingerscr:fingerscr

BenMax
December 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Can you advise which province you are in?

catlover2
December 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
How you'll keep us updated on what happens with your Maine Coon. Hope for the best! :pray:

Leighbrown
December 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi again, I appreciate all the responses. The wound looks smaller today. I know it doesn't hurt him because he sits on it and cleans it.

I am in BC. I will keep you posted on decisions and progress. Great place I discovered here. Have a good day all. :)

TrichC
December 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I came to this forum because my 16 year old Female DSH, Darla, also has a skin tumor on her front leg (under her thumb pad - declawed) and was hoping to find some suggestions for treatment but I thought I'd share what we've done so far in hopes it'll help you.

Somehow I missed noticing it's initial appearance while it was still small enough to remove. Because of lowered kidney function, her age, and the amount of tissue that would need to be removed, the vet is reluctant to do surgery. Her tumor started to bleed about a week ago, I took her right into the vet and he gave her a shot of antibiotics, and took some blood for testing to see where her kidney function is at now (it'd been a year since her last test - the vet had initially expected her to pass by last spring). He also recommended using a small amount of Preparation H to hopefully help heal the wound. Your cat's wound looks much more serious than Darla's so I would get him to the vet as soon as possible, you should be able to find one that will work out a payment plan for you (the above treatment cost me under $100). I personally will be avoiding any major surgery for Darla, I expect it would seriously take the wind out of sails, and I want her to be as strong and happy for as long as she's with me.

Good luck seeking treatment for your little love. Trich

TrichC
February 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM
If you've been able to find a vet that will help you out and how your cat is making out with his tumor?

Hope to hear from you soon, hope all is well :)