Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For Cat - Wet food vs. Dry food

Brackley2004
September 16th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I have a four month old kitten, and although he rather enjoys his wet food 3-times a day, he will eat the dry food that is left out for him at all times. I have been told dry food is better for cats (for their teeth), so I am wondering what you guys think... and if your cat eats dry food and once ate wet food, how did you successfully switch them over?

Thanks for all your help! :)

Sneaky2006
September 16th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I thought that too at first, but after coming here I was told differently.
Wet food is not shown to decay teeth any faster than dry food.
Wet food is actually better for neutered male cats because of UTIs and bladder infections. It's lower ash and has more water for a healthier urinary tract.

Cinnabear
September 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM
You can do both. You just give a little bit of wet. And you can leave the dry out. Myself I just give dry all the time. They're happy with that. :)

iRONKNiGHT
September 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM
i'm sorry but i have to disagree with that comment!

Wet Food has no Crunchy effect on controlling dental tartar. if wet food is left out too long it may spoil, if your cat likes moist food, consider mixing the dry food with his/her favorite canned of cat food.

chico2
September 16th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Personally,I feed my 3 cats 1/3 each of a small can of wet food morning and night,dry food is there for them all the time,together with fresh cold water.
Cats are nibblers,like to come back to their dish ever now and then.
I would not feed them only dry food,mostly because it can cause kidney-problems in male neutered cats and who wants to eat kibbles all the time :confused: Variety is the spice of life,even for cats :D
Brackely,also make sure you buy the best food you can afford,not grocery-store brands,like IAMS,Purina Cat-Chow,Whiskas etc..WHAT you feed your kitten is very,very important for his health.

Knight,I never leave any left-over wet food out,it will start to stink and get bad,my CROWS love it :D

Sneaky2006
September 16th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sneaky2006

You said...i'm sorry but i have to disagree with that comment!

I'm not saying they shouldn't eat dry food either... I'm just saying wet food is not the cause, which most ppl think.

I don't just give wet food, they eat a ton of it once a day and the dry is left out all day long.... I don't leave anything out that will spoil... not that it matters... they will finish it all no matter how much is there, pigs.

tyr
September 16th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Hi Brackley! :)

I did some research on the topic of your inquiry and found a really great website (http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandnutrition/). There is a lot of really great information on nutrition and what you should be looking for and staying clear of when grocery shopping for your cat. As well, as a lot of other useful links of information - such as the wet food .vs. dry food battle.

I personally feed my cats (I have two) 3 servings of wet food (about a teaspoon and a half) a day and leave dry food in their dish always. The serving also depends on the age of your cat (It will tell you the portion sizes to be served on the back/side). Cats are very peckish creatures and enjoy coming back to the bowl. I also find that having dry food accessible to them throughout the day helps to keep them from being little piglets! :D If you feed them at scheduled times throughout the day only, they will eat every piece of food in sight! :eek: This can cause your kitten to become a fat cat as owners have a harder time realising normal food portions to be given when doing it this way. Plus, just like people, their systems go into a starvation mode after a certain amount of time which causes the food fed to them at scheduled feeding times to be stored as fat to give them energy until their next feeding. Whereas if they have food available all day it helps to keep them very controlled. As for the wet food and leaving it out, or throwing it out, you do not have to do that. It is perfectly fine to put plastic wrap or tinfoil over the top and store it in the fridge until the end of the next day - just do not leave it on the counter! :eek:

It is very well argued that having a mixed diet is extremely healthy for cats. The wet food is just as nutritious as the dry, but offers hydration to your kitten/cat's diet - which is very important. The dry food is good for nutrition and it does help with plaque and tarter build up. Also, always make sure to read the label on the breakdown of "key nutrients" to make sure you are buying the right food.

Since you have a kitten, and his dental health is extremely important, I would suggest visiting your local veterinarian or pet store and buying a toothbrush and special paste for cleaning his teeth - it is flavoured like their fave treats! :) This will help prevent tooth decay and disease without having to worry about the wet .vs. dry enigma. Plus, it is better to start early because if you do run into a problem later on in his years it will be much harder to get that finger in his mouth to brush! :rolleyes: If it helps I can let you know what brand I use.

I hope that I was of help. Enjoy your new addition and remember that if you ever have a question there are lots of people who care here to give you advice :)

Brackley2004
September 17th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your suggestions and advice everyone. This is our first cat, and raising him is a completely foreign to me and my husband (we were dog people previously). We love the little guy, and want to do what is best.

I am still confused about what food is best. My Vet said Science Diet and Iams - but they only have the one flavour for kittens and my kitten (Brackley) gets bored with it. Is Friskies terrible for kittens if fed in the mix?

Tyr - I will read the article you gave me - thanks so much for all your help - and I would love to know the toothpast brand you use for your cats.

:)

Lucky Rescue
September 17th, 2004, 09:16 AM
My Vet said Science Diet and Iams
Medical doctors often know little about nutrition, and since most vets sell these brands in their clinics, of course they will recommend them.

Those are two brands I would stay away from. And my personal opinion - if you feed canned food you need not buy special food for kittens. If you feed dry you will have to, since tiny kittens cannot crunch adult food.

As was mentioned, canned is better for neutered males and does not cause any tooth decay or problems. Genetics and neglect cause tooth problems.

tyr
September 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Brackley -

I am glad that I could be of help :D Sorry to reply to you a little late. I just adopted a kitten and now have a third fur baby!! :) He is the one in the picture by my name:)

The toothpaste that I use is called C.E.T. - I use poultry flavour. I also use a finger brush with little tiny soft rubber bristles on it. To get my cats used to it I would sit with them and after a few moments I would let them taste the toothpaste. They loved the taste - they thought it was a treat! :) Then I would make sure my hands were clean and a couple of days later I would run just my finger with a little bit of paste over their teeth. Very gently and calmly - they know something is up and that it is not a treat when you are nervous :rolleyes: Then after a few times of doing that I introduced the finger brush.

How is your little kitty doing?

Keep me posted :)

Donna Marie
September 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Cleo will eat anything that is put in front of her, Skittles on the other hand doesn't like wet food. I heard that wet food is good to make sure that they are getting enough water in their diet. We have found a perfect solution. We have a Fresh Flow water bowl. The water is purified and as it is constantly flowing it stays fresh as well as chilled.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9167&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025542&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1095958378747