Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally found out the problem

abbyandmom
December 5th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hello sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this awesome site, anyway I found out what Abby's problem was on the 22nd of November they tested her and she has Immune mediated polyartritis an auto-immune disease affecting multiple affecting multiple joints Here is the plan we are doing She is taking 1/2 a pepcid AC twice a day and then she took 1/2 a Tramadol twice a day for a week then we quit that and since the 30th of November she has been taking 50mg of prednisone 1/2 of one twice a day then on tuesday she is to take 1/2 a tablet twice a day for 7 days then taper her off to 1/2 a tablet every other day intill gone. We go back to the Vet on the 13th. They said she will drink alot of water (which) she does and wil have to go out and go potty alot (which) she does anyway my Hubby thinks the prednisone is hard on her but I do have faith in the vet so I am doing this I am wondering if this will constpate her? Have any of you ever had to use this for your sweet pets?

TeriM
December 9th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I've been luck enough not to have to use prednisone. Unfortunately it usually is what's needed for auto immune type issues but short term should not be a problem.

Hope she is feeling better :goodvibes:.

jassy3399
December 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have to use prednisone about once a year for allergies, since nothing else even touches the itching for my boy. It's a smaller dose that he gets, but in the short term, there shouldn't be any lasting side effects. The thirst and extra potty breaks are normal, and you may see signs that your pooch is a little bit grumpy (prednisone is a steroid, and 'roid rage' can effect them) but constipation should not be an issue. if anything, you might see a bit of the opposite, since water helps moves things along in the area as well. if you're noticing a lack of pooing, you should notify your vet, as that might mean there's another issue.