Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnant dog question .. advice please

tanyasmom
December 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Ok my 9yr old Bealge bitch (who I know should NOT be pregnant! it was an accident with a stray who came to visit her while out on her chain .. she also has silent heats which makes it very hard for me to notice until the strays come around and its to late ... and I know she should have been fixed long before this happened and it was very irrisponsible of me, she will be spayed after this litter once my vet gives the go ahead!! so no bashing please)

This is her 3rd litter she had 2 healthy litters with no complications at 3 and 5yrs of age (7pups & 12 pups) ... my question is she is due now (63-64 days now) and she had a temp drop to 98.2 about 30 hrs ago (its back to normal now .. 99.9 on average) about 22-24 hrs later she started the usual; getting up n down, digging, panting, spinning, licking her privates nipping her sides, using the washroom constantly (i have not noticed anything come from her but i didnt with other litters until pups came either she is a VERY clean bitch) then after about 4 hrs she stopped laid down and went to sleep and there has been nothing since ... there has been no pushing at all and she seems compfortable, she has been secreting milk for about a week but really bagged up in the last 2 days (she was to the vet around 60/61 days for as check up to be safe because she is an older bitch and everything was fine) ssssoooo how long do i wait after the temp drop 30 hrs ago before i worry? because i know with false labors the temp doesnt or atleast shouldnt drop. Any advice would be great.

14+kitties
December 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Please call your vet. We are not vets or breeders so unfortunately can not help you. Good luck to your old girl. :(

tanyasmom
December 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thank you 14+kitties ... i had already called the emergency line for my vet but it was taking along time for them to respond!! So i just thought id see if anyone had been thru somthing similar .... anyway we are still holding, spoke with vet and just keeping an eye we cant explain why her temp dropped when it did but just going to keep an eye on her she is doing great otherwise. Normally i wouldnt have worried about it but with her being older i just wanted to check ... i will keep all posted on puppy arrival and again thank you for the well wishes.

luckypenny
December 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The temp doesn't always drop before labor/delivery of pups. If you're in any doubt, take her to an e-vet asap.

Goldfields
December 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
At her age I would be most concerned that she could have uterine inertia and be unable to start delivering them. She may need a vet's help.

cassiek
December 6th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I will keep your gal in my thoughts, hope all goes well for her. Keep us posted!

marko
December 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks members :goodvibes: Good luck tanyasmom and please do post an update after seeing the vet.