Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Quite sad for a happy reason

erykah1310
November 30th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I dont know if you all remember Booger the little kitten my man had seen in the middle of a dirt road on a cold rainy day early this summer or not, but the plans for him has always been "keep him until he gets better and then find him a home" as Booger had a bad URI and pnemonia, well... that is why we have all the cats we do now.
They never find a home. We know this and accept it and love them all for their lives.

Well, oddly enough Booger did find a home, and we werent even actively trying to find him one as we just figured he was our cat forever.
A friend was over and fell head over heels with him a few weeks ago, after much thinking and planning on her part she called and asked if she could have him. After working out all the details about getting him neutered and ready to go to a new home, he left on Sunday:(
I really miss him, a lot.
The house seems empty with out him here now.

Here's my little dilema, considering how heart broken I am over Booger being the center of a family's life and litterally having the world served to him on a silver platter for his whole life, I have always wanted a Siamese or Himalayan (couldnt spell that for the life of me) so, I dont know if I should actively seek one out keeping an eye out on shelters over the next while or if I should foster a cat from a rescue/shelter ( lets be honest cats just dont find forever homes around here once they are in rescue or shelters) or should I just wait for the next cat we come across that needs our help.:shrug:
I have always dreamed of a cat of the breeds I have mentioned, but to look for one and then find a kitten in need this spring on the road again, knowing that we couldnt possibly keep it would make me feel so bad.
I dont know what to do.
Maybe try to find an old "unadoptable" Siamese or Himalayan??? I would feel like I was doing something amazing for that cat.

What would you all suggest?

Love4himies
December 1st, 2010, 08:00 AM
I know how it feels to give up a kitty that you have loved :cry: :grouphug:, happens to me every time I have to say goodbye to one of my fosters. :(

As for a Himalayan, they are usually very, very timid kitties and unless they are brought up with a pet, they do usually get very stressed with other animals. Just thinking of all your dogs. Siamese, I don't have any experience with.

If you do like the colouring/markings of a Siamese or Himalayan, then you may want to consider a Ragdoll. They are much more social than Himalayans and don't have the maintenance of a Himalayan. They are very social kitties and would probably do well with your dogs. They are prone to HCM if they are bred by BYB's and mills, reputable breeders do a DNA check on their sire and dams.

Marty11
December 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
I adopted a siamese from the HS once. Turned out to be the best cat ever, but I will warn you they are bossy. It's so touching that you've saved some kitties. I guess it's your fate.

catlover2
December 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
You're an :angel2: thanks for rescuing "Booger" and your others. There's nothing wrong with wanting a special breed of cat. You could check out rescues of Himalayan or Siamese through Petfinder.com http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

The cats listed are mostly in rescue or humane societies, have been vet checked, shots, wormed, and likely spayed/neutered. Quite a lot of legitimate and backyard breeders advertise in kijiji classifieds because it's free. Cats may or not be vet checked, shots, etc.

Good luck!

BenMax
December 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM
I have one lilac point from a shelter, and a oriental red..also from a shelter. They are there and wait also for new homes. Infact, the breeds in shelters usually succome to illnesses faster and eventually die. It is this reason that I have 2 because both were not fairing well and I was asked to take.

Orientals are vocal and high maintenance cats. They are like dogs really but they are skiddish and do not always accept strangers well. Though both are wonderful characters, they are equally bossy of the dogs and do not back down. My daughter also has a siamese who hates everyone except for her. They are different little breeds.

erykah1310
December 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks everyone,
I absolutely would never pay for a cat unless it was an adoption fee. I am all for reputable and ethical breeders but cats just break my heart as they just seem to never find homes.
As for the characters of the 2 breeds, this may come as a suprise to most of you but... I'm just not into overly cuddly needy cats. I love having cats in my house but it doesnt bother me if they dont want me to pet them or cuddle in bed with me. I'm actually quite allergic to them lol. As long as I am always around them, my allergies are tolerable, when i am away from cats for a week or more, well its hard to come into my own house HAHA so while I am away from my cats when working I am always looking for a cat to touch or pick up and love on for a few minutes just to make it an easy transition to return home.

I'm in no rush to make a descision at all,like i said I think iwould feel bad if I adopted and put myself at my "limit" for cats and another one crossed paths with me needing help.

I dont know what to do. Maybe the next one will be a Himmie or Siamese:pray::fingerscr

erykah1310
December 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
BenMax,
I dont worry about the life span of my one day dream kitty (unless they are young and healthy) I would be perfectly fine adopting an old one, or one that already is sick with special needs so long as it wasnt contagious for the health of my cats already here

chico2
December 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Erykah,I remember in the beginning at this Forum I always thought you were not to fond of cats,but you certainly changed my mind a long time ago.
My dream-cat is a brown Tabby Maine-Coon,a huge male,I had one once but he died at 3 yrs old.
I never really had a choice,like you,with my cats,they just sort of happened,except Chico who came from a pet-shop,where nobody wanted him because he was black.
A friend of mine who is now in his 80's,always adopted unwanted cats from HS,the old and sickly and gave them a new chance at life,this man was my hero and I think at my age,if we were to have another,that's the route I would go.
Did we ever see a pic of Booger,if you feel sad to see him go,just remember,were it not for you and hubs,there would be no Booger,you saved his precious life:grouphug:

erykah1310
December 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
This is Booger the day after we found him, pretty sickly looking
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/House/weekitty4.jpg

Full o fleas and worms
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/House/weekitty3.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/House/weekitty2.jpg

And here he is with Elmo
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/Dogs/bully038.jpg

And here he is with his new bully friend Abby
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/House/150866_1752264284290_1169376818_32007682_7164361_s .jpg

the gang
December 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
omgod to cute

Love4himies
December 2nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
I remember you posting the story about finding Booger :(. But now what a great looking kitty. I am sure he only had a day or two before he would have died, had DH not stopped. :grouphug: :angel:

Melinda
December 2nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
my grams raised siamese and it truely is like raising dogs *L* they normally rule the roost and most of hers did, in fact, they'd strut around the dog kennels like they owned it and the dogs in it were their servants, they make wonderful pets for dog lovers.

what a wonderful job you did with Booger!!

chico2
December 2nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
OMG,Erykah those pics made me all teary-eyed,he would certainly have died had you not saved him.
The pic with the "big scary,dangerous,Pittie(according to M.Bryant:evil:) Elmo"is amazing as is Booger with Abby:cloud9:

erykah1310
December 2nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
the vets had said he wouldnt likely had make it through that night had we not stopped for him as he was sitting in a puddle drentched and sick as could be.
he's still not completely 100% he has a bit of a road ahead of him still because he was so young to be so ill his immune system has really taken a beating.
He's going to live a long full life with out a doubt but its a good thing he's a fighter.
I'm glad my man was driving that day because honestly I didnt see him at all. We were driving down a dirt road and all of a sudden Guy started saying " whoa whoa whoa stay there" and swerved to the shoulder of the road with the boat trailer and all ( we werent going fast at all but still caught me off guard)
I had no idea why were stopping, I thought something fell off the trailer or something, he ran out of the truck in the rain and came running back with Booger.
His name has been changed to Chopper ( my friends husband had one condition for them getting a cat and that was he could name him Chopper)
I get updates on him every other day which is nice, I may take a spin over to their place for a visit this weekend. He lives literally 5 minutes down the road from me now

chico2
December 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Give your man a :grouphug:for being such a good guy...
I am always checking the road as I drive,seeing things hubs would never notice.
I am really happy for Chopper:thumbs uphopefully he does not miss your family too much:cat: