Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sad news

kathryn
November 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi everyone.. here with a bit of sad news. I was recently fired from my job at the shelter I have been with for over 3 years. I volunteered there for ages, and was officially hired back a few months ago.

It's a long and complicated story, and I can't go into all the details as I am seeking a lawsuit.. but I really just need to vent :yell: :frustrated: :mad:

Let's just put it this way, the day before I was dismissed because they "no longer needed me", I was pulled into the directors office by her and another employee who was SUPPOSED to be the human resources person.. I was locked in, cornered, then harassed, insulted, and interrogated. I was accused of stealing among other not so good things. This is by the director who has only been at the shelter for about a year, and ever since she has been there things have just gone down hill.

After I was accused of all those horrible things and was locked in a room with two adults coming at me, I obviously freaked out a little and told them I was going to go have a my mom call a lawyer and we would finish this conversation at another time. They told me I could finish out my work day and come back as scheduled the following day.

So, I did.. and then.. the fun part here- I was in the middle of FREAKING SURGERY helping out the vet on a VERY busy day and we were already short a person.. the HR person comes into the surgery room, and asks me to go with her!! I said NO, but she pulled me out of the room and told me to not worry, it was "nothing bad", and the director was not there, it was "just her".. she tricked me into following her to her office, ALONE, under the pretense she was just going to talk to me, and I assumed it was just going to be about having to finish that "meeting" at a later time.

instead, she tells me the shelter no longer needs me and she was ending me employment immediately!!

I just cannot describe how FURIOUS I am. I mean, I know none of you personally know me or know the shelter, but you all know I have been really into helping the animals for quite a while.. But ever since this NEW lady had to come in and chase all the good people out, things have been hell!!!!!

So now I am out of a job (still working part time but only like 8 hours a week at the pet store)... and I go ahead and file for unemployment and conveniently they change the reason they fired me from "we just don't need you here anymore" to I committed misconduct so now I'm probably not even eligible for unemployment!!!!!

UGH!!!!

So now I just have to hope things straighten out or me and the kitties will be on the street soon! My parents just finally officially split up and I just bought a new car for myself after having saved up for a few years... well guess I am out of luck now!! I was kind of depending on staying at the shelter for quite a while as I USED to enjoy being there!!!

Sorry, just need to rant... I just don't even know what to do with myself now.. I've been going there for years and basically grew up there alongside many of the staff and volunteers.. but so many people have left in recent weeks.. it just makes me sad... It's just not the same anymore. In the end, it is the animals that will suffer.

clm
November 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I have no idea what the labour laws are there, but to dimiss someone with cause is rare and they need to have a lot of proof to avoid a lawsuit. Yep, time to talk to a lawyer.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I hope you find something else soon. I know how hard it is out there to find a job. I've been trying for over a year myself.

clm

kathryn
November 30th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I just wish I could go back to when the place was all people I knew.. all my friends and fellow animal lovers.. this lady just comes in there and chases everyone out. not only am I gone, but another one of my co-workers who specializes in special needs and terminally ill animals was also fired in this same way.. another really nice girl who was at the shelter for almost 18 months had to leave due to harassment.. another dozen or so employees have also left because of our new director...

it's just sad that people are more concerned with making a name for themselves than caring about animals.. what is this world coming to anymore...

14+kitties
November 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I just wish I could go back to when the place was all people I knew.. all my friends and fellow animal lovers.. this lady just comes in there and chases everyone out. not only am I gone, but another one of my co-workers who specializes in special needs and terminally ill animals was also fired in this same way.. another really nice girl who was at the shelter for almost 18 months had to leave due to harassment.. another dozen or so employees have also left because of our new director...

it's just sad that people are more concerned with making a name for themselves than caring about animals.. what is this world coming to anymore...

Then maybe you should go and find these people and see if they would be willing to back you up when the time comes. If she has truly gotten rid of so many people with no just reasons then something should be done now to stop her. :shrug:

kathryn
December 1st, 2010, 01:02 AM
Then maybe you should go and find these people and see if they would be willing to back you up when the time comes. If she has truly gotten rid of so many people with no just reasons then something should be done now to stop her. :shrug:

yeah, i'm hoping that's what works out. I've been communicating with one in particular who was fired in a manner similar to mine where she was pulled aside then locked into the directors office with 3 managers staring her down.. they forced her to sign some paper admitting she did some wrongdoing.. then they told her to leave.

i mean, at this point the shelter is basically selling animals. They will give an animal to any person at any time for any reason. Sooo many of our animals recently have ended up dumped at other shelters, picked up by animal control after having been hit by cars or found tied to trees or dumpsters. We microchip all our animals so that's why we know all this. And yet she doesn't care.

she stopped intaking animals in the area and has been going to other states to pull what I guess she considers more "adoptable" pets to charge higher adoption rates...

it's just a disgrace... she has turned my shelter, the shelter I grew up with, into just a factory line of mindless workers pumping out as many animals as they can as fast as possible. get in her way and you are beaten down.

i guess you guys would have to personally know her and the people I am talking about.. but *sigh*... as fellow animal lovers I'm sure you can empathize with me.

Tundra_Queen
December 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
When they locked the door could u have gotten out if u wanted to? I'm just thinking of being held against your will which is against the law. Sounds very creepy to me. I would definately contact a lawyer and also the other employees who have been let go.

Sorry this happened to you.

Love4himies
December 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Yup, time to talk to a lawyer. Like clm stated, to dismiss with cause, they have to have proof of misconduct. I would document everything now when it is fresh in your mind, even the fact the HR manager touched you. If they had proof of your stealing, they wouldn't have had you come back the next day.

:grouphug: I hope it works out for you.. :goodvibes:

BenMax
December 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Try to contact your allies at the shelter and get affidavits. If you see a lawyer he will advise you to do this. Hopefully someone will back you up.

When they accused you of stealing, did they specify as to what? What does make sense here is that anyone usually accused of stealing is not permitted to continue their work day and continue the next day. This you need to relay to your lawyer as this is very unusual. This alone can cast suspicion on their intent.

Hope it works out for you. I know how disheartening this is.

kathryn
December 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Try to contact your allies at the shelter and get affidavits. If you see a lawyer he will advise you to do this. Hopefully someone will back you up.

When they accused you of stealing, did they specify as to what? What does make sense here is that anyone usually accused of stealing is not permitted to continue their work day and continue the next day. This you need to relay to your lawyer as this is very unusual. This alone can cast suspicion on their intent.

Hope it works out for you. I know how disheartening this is.

I was accused of stealing private/personal information from like, files and the database and stuff. You know what they based this off of? A volunteer from the shelter posted on facebook asking if anyone knew the location or status of a cat she was very attached too. the cat has been with us for about a year because she's a bit nippy, likes to give love bites.. sooo basically I answered her to let her know the cat was on bite hold (again) and to check back in a couple days.

so, somehow one of the people (possible the HR lady) saw this and printed it out, cut out the conversation leading up to this and made it look like I put out a world wide alert that this cat was vicious or something... they accused me of breaking into the computer system to "steal" this data and stuff like that.

When I was in the office, I was not allowed to leave, and the door was closed and when I got up to leave, they tried to physically and verbally stop me. It's a tiny office, so it was fairly cramped and unsettling.

I'm already receiving messages from my very upset co-workers. Today is our "slow day" in a sense at the clinic, and the afternoon consists of me and one other girl. Well, now she is stuck there, alone, and the director came in and yelled at her for not getting her work done fast enough. So she's getting yelled at, and at the same time it's a safety hazard because how is she realistically supposed to monitor each animal post surgery once the vet leaves?? What if there is an emergency and she is supposed to administer a medication to a dog or a cat, who is going to be there to hold that animal? I guess when my friend gets bit in the face because no one was there to restrain the animal, maybe the director will learn a lesson??? PROBABLY NOT!! :evil:

She cares more about making a name for herself than the animals :yell: