Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats grooming each other?

sassylemon
November 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
As you all know, I recently became a 2 cat house-hold.:cool: Skitter who had my full attention since 6-7 weeks old and now a year and a half seems to have taken almost right to Doola. Doola is also a year and a half.

my question is, is it normal for two cats who have just been in the same house for 10 days to lick each other ? It is especially Skitter that does it the most and then bites her fur, I guess it is and then licks her again. Doola will sometimes lick her back. Doola is usually purring when Skitter does this.

Does it just mean that my two girls just took to each other really well? They have been together when I go to work after only a week.

BenMax
November 29th, 2010, 05:54 PM
It means you have harmony and they are accepting one another. :thumbs up Congrats! You could not ask for anything better.

I am certain that our cat savvy members can provide more information on this behaviour.

14+kitties
November 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Mutual grooming is a great thing! It is a sign of bonding and should be encouraged. I'm surprised with Doola being the way she was before that she isn't the one doing the most grooming. You may want to brush them a bit more with the grooming going on or give them a small amount of butter on their front paw or on a saucer if they will eat it that way. This will help cut down on hairballs.
Great job on the introductions. :thumbs up I am so glad things have worked out so well for you. Now are you ready to do it again when your friend's cat moves in soon?

sassylemon
November 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
14+kitties -not sure if she is still coming or not, since my friend might be moving to a larger apartment with a roommate so we will see what happens, I hope for my friends sake that she can keep her little buddy. Oh and you mentioned butter, is margarine okay or does it have to be butter?

14+kitties
November 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM
14+kitties -not sure if she is still coming or not, since my friend might be moving to a larger apartment with a roommate so we will see what happens, I hope for my friends sake that she can keep her little buddy. Oh and you mentioned butter, is margarine okay or does it have to be butter?

That's great news if it works out. If not I am sure you will provide a loving home for all three kitties. :highfive:
Butter is natural. Margarine is not. I am not crazy about anything that calls itself an edible oil product. :yuck: When my vet told me about it years and years ago he said butter. :thumbs up

catlover2
November 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Mutual grooming, playing and resting together are all signs cats are buddies. Lucky you! Doesn't always work out so well, even with good intros. Count your stars! :fingerscr