Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone Know what will cause a dog to go into convulsions and die a few hours later

pitbulllover
November 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have had two dogs die in the last year. The vet says they both died from tetanus but I do not beleive this due to the vet saying it is rare for a dog to get tetanus. Now I had a 1 year old pit bull die from this in january 2010 and a six month old die this november. Both dogs where fine when I let them out to play and then I would go outside and they would be in a staedy state of convulsions and alot of drooling when they where calm if you made a noise moved something or them they would start convulsing and the where dead a couple hours after taking them to the vet they where dead. Two seperate incidents at two different times from something that is rare for a dog to get and vets have no way to treat because it is rare. Has anyone had anything like this happen. I do suspect poisoning but havnt had any trouble from the german shepard I have just mytwo pitbulls who both where always with the German shepard.

chico2
November 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
The first thing that came to me was poisoning..
I don't know how you live,but could it be possible someone gave only the pitties something poisoned and not the GSD,through a fence or something like it.

Some people are just convinced Pitties are some sort of evil beings:evil::(

Love4himies
November 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I am so sorry for you loss :cry: :grouphug::grouphug:


I suspect poisoning too. Do you have any neighbours that don't like you pitties? Does anybody have access to throw poisoned meat over your fence?

BenMax
November 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I am with the others. I am suspecting poisoning. It is concerning that you have lost your pitties..and not the GSD. There seems to be something or someone that is harming your pets. I am not a vet however, but it just does not seem to add up to me.

I am sorry for your loss.

cell
November 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Since its not a 1 time isolated incident I would say it sounds like some type of poisoning as well. If it is possible that your neighbors have some reason to want to poison your dogs I would suggest not putting the dogs outside without a muzzle on and watching them so no one can come by and offer them food. You may want to scale your yard for any food remnants as well as the areas the dogs have been in the house for something that may be there for them to eat. I would be very suspicious after the second incident...

mastifflover
November 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM
It sounds like poisoning too me as well. This sounds very similar to what happened to Boo my neighbour poisoned him with rat poison slowly. Similar symptoms. Very strange that this has only happened to your pits.

Goldfields
November 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
How old is the German Shepherd? Your Pitbulls were only big pups and more likely to chew on things than an older dog, so I'd check all the plants in your garden, if you have one. Some of them are deadly. In fact if the Shepherd is an older dog, have a think about anything that may have been planted since he outgrew his puppy stage. Very sorry to hear of your losses, must be devastating to lose two in such an awful way. Hope it's not a poisoner at work.

Koteburo
November 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The first thing that came to me was poisoning..


My same thoughts, exactly.
Sadly I have dealt with poisoning in the past and it sounds just like it :cry:
I'm really sorry for your loss :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
November 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, pitbulllover. :grouphug:

The symptoms you describe do sound like strychine poisoning. :( Unfortunately, by the time you see the symptoms, it's usually too late to do anything about it... Hard to believe that anyone could be so sick as to deliberately poison your dogs, but you never know. Please be very careful checking the yard and supervising your shepherd when it's outside. :grouphug:

Goldfields
November 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I wonder if the vet could possibly be right? They have been known to be correct at times. The fact that tetanus is rare doesn't make it impossible, it only means the tetanus is there to pick up. Did either of the dogs have puncture injuries that you noticed? Had they been anywhere near horses, or where horses had been? Just asking because in my own area I know of a racehorse that died of tetanus , a fortnight old foal, and a cattle dog that actually survived tetanus.(living on a pony stud.) There are probably many more cases I never hear about. Oh, a friend stopped bedding litters of puppies on straw because he found the pups sometimes got tetanus after the hay pricked into them.

BSLISBS
December 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
It sounds like poisoning too me as well ,sad what some folks do through hate and misunderstanding of this breed .
I wouldn't allow my dogs out without your supervision at all after this happened .
keep your eyes peeled for anyone around your yard and property.
Sorry for your loss.