Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thinking of Fostering

onster
November 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Heard through friends today that the Guelph Humane Society is looking for foster parents for kittens :lovestruck::lovestruck: and, I'm thinking why not???

What with travel plans in the summer (most likely) fostering is a good option as it should only be a few weeks...the only thing is i'll have to cut back on going home on the weekends depending on the animal I get paired up with (if I'm even accepted). My place is pet friendly and I never did end up bringing my boys with me...that and I miss having a cuddly buddy :cloud9:

I soooo wish I could foster a pup but I have no experience with dogs, so I don't think they would be okay with that. They probably wouldn't want a uni student fostering a dog too I reckon.

I still need to think on it a bit, but I'm thinking I'll be filling in an application soon :thumbs up

BenMax
November 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I think it's a great idea, but please ensure before doing so, that your cat is completely vaccinated for EVERYTHING before bringing home any cats or kittens from a shelter.

I think you would be an AMAZING foster mom!:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
November 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I think fostering is a wonderful and commendable idea, but (there's always a but right), are you really okay with not going home as much? Wouldn't that mean not getting to see Bunduk and Onnie very often? I don't know much about fostering (okay - anything) but seems to me you probably can't really say "well it's only for a few weeks" when in fact the foster cat could be with you much longer. Or is this just a short term foster for these kittens only? Certainly if you did foster you'd be wonderful.

sugarcatmom
November 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Totally awesome that you want to help some kitties! :thumbs up However (just to add to what Dog Dancer said) if you were to foster kittens, I have to warn you that they are a TON of work. They get into everything, have more energy than the Energizer bunny, and you will be constantly cleaning up after them. I personally would not want to be going to school at the same time that I was looking after kittens. It was hard enough with just regular work hours, nevermind the addition of studying on top of that! An older adult cat or 2 would be much easier. :2cents:

Love4himies
November 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Having fosters are a wonderful experience (until they go, then it is bawl time :yell: :cry:). Knowing you have had a hand raising these kittens to be polite, social kittens that are ready to go to their new home is so rewarding.

I have to agree with SCM, a litter of kittens is a ton of work, especially if the are in need of socializing and being babies, they need to be fed consistently though out the day. Also, if one gets sick (or the whole litter), you have to be ready for force feedings around the clock. It was a whole lot more work than I anticipated. Of course my first foster, Sweet Pea and her 7 kittens all got calicivirus at the same time :yell:, causing a few gray hair to appear :( :laughing:.

Another thing is to ask how long you will have them for. At my shelter it is until they are spayed/neutered so could be until they are about 4-5 months old.

lost
November 26th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Bravo, Guelph Humane Society!
I think its a pretty slick idea, fostering a kitty. These guys know that everyone fostering kitties is more than likely to keep them on permanent basis. You're given the option to return them, but all you need is a day or two and there's no you'll be giving your kitten back. Trust me.

There's nothing like holding a tiny cuddly fur ball in your hands. Its so rewarding and beautiful, even the cleaning up and feeding them is part of the fun. This smallish creature will put a genuine smile on your face and warmness in your heart.

Go for it :thumbs up

Koteburo
November 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Bravo, Guelph Humane Society!
I think its a pretty slick idea, fostering a kitty. These guys know that everyone fostering kitties is more than likely to keep them on permanent basis. You're given the option to return them, but all you need is a day or two and there's no you'll be giving your kitten back. Trust me.

There's nothing like holding a tiny cuddly fur ball in your hands. Its so rewarding and beautiful, even the cleaning up and feeding them is part of the fun. This smallish creature will put a genuine smile on your face and warmness in your heart.

Go for it :thumbs up

+1 :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 26th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Far be it for me to dissuade you from fostering mf. :laughing: Having had Bunduk you are more likely than most to realize the amount of work kitties can be. Are you sure though you are ready to give up a few extra weekends away from home?
Whatever you decide I know you know we are 100% behind you. I know you will research and find out all the ins and outs of fostering before jumping into it. Humane Societies all have different agendas with their fosters. Some only want FH for long enough to socialize. Others want them until there is room in the shelter for the kittens to come back.