Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interpreting Dog Bark

violagirl
November 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM
My dog is better at understanding English than I am of understanding Dogspeak I'm afraid. Wondering if anyone can help me interpret?

She's part dachshund so she can have a pretty deep sound for a little dog. She seems to have 2 sorts of barks..the short, sharp higher pitched bark that indicates someone is at the door. And her cutest bark is more of a Ba-rooooo! Sometimes Ba- roo roo roo. Starts low and then rises.

As far as I can tell she uses the sharper high pitched barks for alerting us - to something different outside -bird feeders casting shadows on the snow!!, people at the door, cats on the counter, cats playing on the other side of the babygate and not including her.

Then also uses the higher pitched barks preceded by a bit of a whine to say..I have to go to the bathroom NOW!

The Ba-roo bark seems to be used when she first sees us in the morning, when one of us comes home from work. She also uses this one when "attempting" to play with the cat. Especially, if the cat has had enough and claws come out, she will step back and lay down and howl the Ba-rooo bark. It doesn't sound like an "I'm hurt" bark, not sure..maybe frustration?

Perhaps someone who has this type of dog would know what I mean.

Floppy Dog
November 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Since a dog's bark has a limited range, you're better off interpreting what your dog is telling you by her body language. I suggest you check out Brenda Alloff's book "Canine Body Language". It has lots of pictures and goes into lots of detail and examples in different settings. Also, as your dog gets older, the range of her communication will expand. For example, our dog started out by sitting at the door to let us know she had to go out, so we had to pay a lot of attention, especially if we couldn't see the door. However, she has now graduated to a whine/yip added to the sitting at the door. So it's also a matter of observation and getting to know your dog.

Choochi
November 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Dogs definitely have quite the range of vocalizations, including barking. They can change tone from high pitched to more of a deep tone, the frequency of the barks, speed of repetition, time in between each bark, add to that their body language... My dog has at least 10 distinct barks and if you're in tune, you will certainly learn which bark means "I need to go out" or "I'm bored" or "there's some one at the door" or "hey you play with me"... some dogs also huff, and howl, and mumble, or even make lip smacking noises..

Masha
November 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
From my experience, you can definitely learn to recognize a few barks. I can be with my back to Jermy and know and I can tell by his bark if he wants me to play with his pink elephant cuz (dont ask :laughing:), or if he is barking at a dog outside, or if he is complainign abotu Monkey refusing to play... there are many ohter sounds i am still trying to identify... he has oen bark that is very rythmic and i can find a pattern in it... its usually when he sees other dogs and is something like "gauph, pause.... then three quicker gauph-gauph-gauph, then pause, then one gauph, then pasue and three gauphs again"then the whole cycle repeats.... sometimes i bark back at him to try and match him... he almost always responds...

Neecie
November 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
My wiener dog barks and barks and barks. Outside is the worst because every little thing is either a play toy (like the squirrel that taunts him) or scares him (like the birds in the tree). He's barks so bad that I don't know what else to do. I have bought him a no bark coller but at that time he was too small and it wouldn't work. I bought him sound wave collars and still nothing someone please help me....I need something that will work

BenMax
November 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Well I have nothing really to add except that my rottie Ben (RIP) would stare at me in the morning and say "AHROORAH" 3 x. It meant (my interpretation of course)...get up and get me outside.!