Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Other than Anal gland or worm problems what other problems can a dog have

bluebear
November 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM
:( :confused:

I have a great pyr. 19 months tomorrow (the tankster). For some reason he has been licking his bum for the past 10 day's. I thought it was from him eating at a deer carcus. I give him heartworm every month which is new 5 months into it.

When I checked it over a week ago he seem a bit red on the top 11 and 1 oclock area. I checked it today as he was licking again and he is swollen all around it. There is no smell of any kind and I did the squeeze thing and it was dry and he didn't seem to mind it at all.

What other problems can a dog have as his stool is very firm like I have seen him struggle at times and then the last poo is runny. He is into everything i.e. deer poo, god only know's what else poo. He chews my tree's and rhodes and aloe vera. Could that be the problem a friend just gave me that plant.

Thanks (Tank the pyr)

Marty11
November 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm sure everyone here will ask "what are u feeding"? My manchester had some issues, so I lowered the protein a bit to Acana, but I do add fibre such as rice, oats, extra vegies, pumpkin, to bulk up the poo a bit. Hasn't had issues since :fingerscr The reason why i didn't go back on grain food was because it's not as good (that's what they say) and my boston cannot eat grains ( I think ) :confused:

loopoo
November 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Could be a number of things, if it doesnt resolve on its own soon may want to take to the vets just for a quick check. Sometimes can be a perenial hernia, where pockets develop on the inside, feces can get stuck there causing swelling and dog to lick, or other types of growths, or it could simply be an allergy of some kind. Hope he feels better soon :)

MaxaLisa
November 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hopefully it's a food or parasite issue.

Perianal fistulas can also be a concern. They tend to occur more in German Shepherds than other breeds, but they are not restricted to GSDs. Here's a pic of my GSD's when it was healing....he's lying on his side, the fistula opens at about 5 o'clock.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/other95/medical/Fistula3.jpg

happycats
November 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM
My Buddy had the same problem, it was his food, I switched to Orijen and he hasn't had that problem since.

bluebear
December 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you all for the replies. Since his problem just started, I knew it was not his food. I feed all 3 dogs a high quality food. What I did start doing recently was giving air popped popcorn to them cause they were looking for more food throughout the day so I decided on popcorn. As I have an older dog and spayed female who can put on weight easily if fed to much. Funny how the other 2 dog's do not have a problem with it but he did. I guess that's why I couldn't figure it out at first. Thanks again everyone.

mastifflover
December 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Do we get pics of your dogs we love pics here and I love the giant breeds