Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stan:No Walk

iamhappy
November 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Stan is 3 months now. He is a bit huge for his age and he eats and eats and eats whenever he wants to.

So to do away with his lumpy body, I figured we ought to take him to talk.

This morning, was my third attempt. I placed him on a leash and we got out of the gate. A few steps however, he sits and refuses o take even just one more step. He would even lie on his tummy and do a roll over.

I do not now what's with him. When he is indoors he'd play himself until he gets so tired and thirsty.

He'd also love to jump out and run around the backyard nibbling my dad's crops, chasing, barking at ants, digging out stuff. Also, he'd jump into my mom's flower pots and sit on 'em.

Just why I thought he might love to have long early morning walks. But he does not! :wall:

I tried pulling the leash and have him walk but that will be when he'd lie on his tummy. I want him clean so I'd rather carry him back home. He is heavier now.

luckypenny
November 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Do you have food available for your puppy at all times? Training games are much easier to teach while your pup is a little hungry so that you can use food as treats to motivate him.

You might want to start with this exercise in the yard and, once your pup is eager to focus on you, you can attach a leash and bring him into the front yard. Slowly increase your distance away from the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTSuPk2Ccjo

Here are other videos to teach fun and relaxed leash walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2l8Qv1htUY&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueE1S1k74Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kt_pi1z1sA&feature=related

mona_b
November 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
It's the leash that is doing this. Pups love to run around free. But put a leash on, and some won't budge. Go figue.

My daughters pup is 15 weeks now. But when she got him at 9 weeks, we put a leash on him and let him drag it around with him. He LOVES going for his walks.:D

Starting off in the back is a great idea.

He is a bit huge for his age and he eats and eats and eats whenever he wants to

This is not good and not healthy. His bones and joints are growing. He packs on to much weight, and this will cause major issues to them. A fat puppy is not a healthy puppy.

He should not be eating whenever he wants. He should be on a feeding schedule. At this age, 3 times a day is good. This would be morn, aft, and evening.

iamhappy
November 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Ei, thanks for the vids. I got them all bookmarked.:highfive:

A fat puppy is not a healthy puppy.
Fat puppy. My mom's friends came over yesterday. She's a woman in her middle years. She had no glasses on when she came. The "Lol part" of the visit was when she saw Stan sleeping. She asked mom "What breed is this PIGLET? So hairy, is this the one that brings good luck?" :laughing:

Do you have food available for your puppy at all times? Training games are much easier to teach while your pup is a little hungry so that you can use food as treats to motivate him.

That was how he learned his sit. Before he gets to have any off-meal bite, I'd call him and place a treat on my hands. Tell him sit and move my hand over his face, when he sits, I'd wait for him to hold his position and praise him and give him his hotcake or cookie bite (whatever it is). I had to trick him at times. Just a closed fist. :lightbulb: But he never responds unless he sees a closed fist. :laughing:

He should not be eating whenever he wants. He should be on a feeding schedule. At this age, 3 times a day is good. This would be morn, aft, and evening.

He eats morning, then training time (his rewards,) then lunch, the snacks (if the humans get to eat any, then in the evening during human dinner. :p

Started giving him dog food but he doesn't eat that much like when he eats rice and corned beef. I'd feed him veggies sometimes. He'd eat just about anything (even the kitchen mat!:frustrated:) but he slows down at dog food.

You might want to start with this exercise in the yard and, once your pup is eager to focus on you, you can attach a leash and bring him into the front yard. Slowly increase your distance away from the house.

That is what he does. He loves the yard. The crops are the concerns. The yard is populated with them. Backyard that is. In the front would be my mom's pots of once-pretty flowers. :rolleyes:

It's the leash that is doing this. Pups love to run around free. But put a leash on, and some won't budge. Go figue.

Yeah I so think it the leash and the fact that they love to run around free is just why I won't let him of the leash. He loves chasing after stuff that have got lots of colors and those that move. He knows his name and comes over around 70% of the time he gets called but Im not confident with his recall.
Haven't trained him for that yet. :o

mastifflover
November 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM
What breed is Stan? That will make a huge difference in feeding. Do not give him human food and only dog food. Your dog is dictating to you what he wants to eat. Give him his food in the morning if he doesn't eat it pick it up and put it back down at lunch still doesn't eat do the same at dinner and if he does not eat oh well believe me when he is hungry he will eat. He may hold out as long as 2 days but trust me he will eat. You want to keep his weight under control. The reason I asked about breeds is if he is a giant or large breed you want to keep them thinner than fatter it is really hard on joints and bones. They need to develop fully to carry the weight of the dog. Giant breeds take about 3 years to fully mature.

iamhappy
November 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM
What breed is Stan? That will make a huge difference in feeding. Do not give him human food and only dog food. Your dog is dictating to you what he wants to eat. Give him his food in the morning if he doesn't eat it pick it up and put it back down at lunch still doesn't eat do the same at dinner and if he does not eat oh well believe me when he is hungry he will eat. He may hold out as long as 2 days but trust me he will eat. You want to keep his weight under control. The reason I asked about breeds is if he is a giant or large breed you want to keep them thinner than fatter it is really hard on joints and bones. They need to develop fully to carry the weight of the dog. Giant breeds take about 3 years to fully mature.

Breed? He is a terrier-border collie mix.:dog:

Food? I had him on dog food but he goes slow at it. We had to put some rice and corned beef and at times meat on his plate and he'd go eat 'em. For rewards, he'd get biscuits, cookies, pancakes/hotcakes (in bite-sizes.)

Btw, he has this food habit that is really funny or rather obnoxious. When what he has on the plate is not that all-yum-yum to him, he'd leave it and lie around during the meal without even looking at it. He'd just have water. BUT, when I'd let him see that we are giving his food to :cat:Puti (the cat) he'd go running at it and will finish his meal off in a sec! :laughing:

So each time he doesn't eat his meal, I'd do that. :crazy: