Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Indoor dog park??

Bdugan
November 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting and I am not sure if this has already been asked or not.

My puppy is quite petrified when it comes to this crappy edmonton weather, he freezes before being able to pee outside and at night he has sooo much pent up energy that he seems incredibly bored and resorts to bad behavior (such as visciously raping my elbow even though he is neutered)

so I guess to make a long story short, does anyone know if in EDMONTON there are indoor doggy parks, like agility courses or something open to the public (even for a fee) that you do not need to sign up for or schedule evenings in advance??

Thanks a bunch

luckypenny
November 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Welcome to pets.ca, Bdugan :). How old is your puppy? If you call around to the different training facilities in your area, you may find something that will suit you. Or perhaps you can enroll in a puppy socialization class and meet up with/organize puppy play dates with other families.

On days where the weather is pretty miserable, we play a lot of fetch/retrieve in our basement and/or in the hallway upstairs. Games of hide and seek (with people/toys/treats) are always fun too. I find feeding meals out of frozen Kongs also keeps our guys pretty busy.

Etown_Chick
November 25th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Bdugan
I haven't heard of anything like that. Have you thought about doggy day care a couple days a week? THat should get him some stimulation and exercise.
Not getting out in the cold weather is a real challenge for pups, and those who live with them.

Jenn~n~Luke
December 1st, 2010, 09:05 AM
I wish we had something like that here! I've thought of it often, how great it would be, since our winters here get so cold and we often have freezing rain,etc. If they do exist where you live I hope you find one :)

Ladee
December 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe this helps?

http://www.meetup.com/doggyhaven/

I take my dog to Daycare and the off leash park, but was looking for something for cold weather also.. So I was thinking about checking it out...
Cheers ~

Longblades
December 4th, 2010, 08:13 PM
There are a couple of indoor doggy daycares near me and I have a caution for you. I've been to two of these places for obedience lessons and they teach agility at some of them. It gives me the heebies jeebies to see the dogs running, skidding, tumbling around, jumping in agility - on concrete floors that have only a very, very thin layer of rubber matting on top. There is NO cushioning. Bad for joints I would think, specially in a young dog with plates not closed yet.

kara1
December 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
don't know alot about it but theres a group called "mighty mutts" in edmonton that meets a couple times a week but its only for smaller dogs i believe under 20 pounds. but you can find it online and there is a small fee my sister goes to it but not sure on price