Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nasal Fungus

Waltw22
November 23rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
My dog is currently being treated for nasal fungus with Ketoconozole, Amoxi and Rimdryl. Has anyone experience or heard of this protcol being successul in curing nasal fungus. I know there are nasal flushing proceedures but it seems they often have complications. So I am looking for anyone with experience with Ketoconozole.
Any information would be appreciated.

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
I've had no experience, Waltw22. Just wanted to send my best wishes for a successful outcome!

What type of fungal infection is it?

MaxaLisa
November 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM
My dog is currently being treated for nasal fungus with Ketoconozole, Amoxi and Rimdryl. Has anyone experience or heard of this protcol being successul in curing nasal fungus. I know there are nasal flushing proceedures but it seems they often have complications. So I am looking for anyone with experience with Ketoconozole.
Any information would be appreciated.

You didn't say what kind of dog? Just curious, as GSDs are prone to fungal infections.

As a side note, for continued Rimadyl use, as well as keto use, blood tests should be run to monitor organ function (primarily liver, but possibly kidney).

It is thought that there are more effective anti-fungals, such as itraconazole, but they are $$$$, although they can be ordered cheaper from a compounding pharmacy.

My boy handled keto well for several months. After that, I'm not sure, but he might have had some neuro side effects from it. It's not really clear what is going on with him.

I would also check out all your foods and supplements, and change anything that has something like "brewer's yeast" in it, just to lessen the fungal and yeast load in the body.

Waltw22
November 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the information. I will check on the compounding pharm. My dog Lizzie is a Flat-Coat Retriever.
Thanks Again,
Waltw22

MaxaLisa
November 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Okay, not a GSD, just curious!

Didn't read the part about flushing earlier....

The vet flushed my boy's nose out. It helped a lot, for quite awhile. She didn't have a scope or anything at her office, so we settled for the scope. Nothing came out that she could culture - we were hoping for something. Just the act of the flush though made him feel a lot better.

I know that bartonella can also affect the nose, in addition to fungal stuff, which is why we were using an antibiotic effective for that tick disease, as well as the keto. Turns out my boy has some severe allergies too, still trying to get the nose under control.