Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is not pooping vet says not constipated HELP

ashleyserenity
November 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
My 3 year old cat hasn't pooped in a week. We feed her special science diet because of a urine track infection. We took her to the vet and they said she wasn't constipated or backed up. Really i left with no answers so any suggestions/help would be welcome. She doesn't seem to be in pain or acting any different. No screaming when she is in her box or anything.

Crazy4kitties
November 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe she has gone somewhere else in the house? I know it's not the best suggestion, but poop on the floor is better than no poop at all!

sugarcatmom
November 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Did they do an x-ray?

Is she still eating? If so, she must be pooping somewhere else (under the bed or behind the couch are common choices).
If not, take her to another vet for a more thorough exam.

You also might want to reconsider the prescription food, especially if it's kibble. The best thing to feed any cat, but especially one prone to urinary tract or bladder issues, is a meat-based wet food diet. Some very important reading on that for you here: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

ashleyserenity
November 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Thank you for all of your suggestions. We found out this morning that our dog is eating it!!!! So i am going to try and get a gate with a cat door or a new litter box. If you have any other suggestions to discourage please let me know.
Thanks

sugarcatmom
November 25th, 2010, 05:27 PM
We found out this morning that our dog is eating it!!!!

:laugh: Tootsie-roll snack attack!!! Well I'm glad there's nothing wrong with your cat though. Just a case of doggy poo-breath.

So i am going to try and get a gate with a cat door or a new litter box. If you have any other suggestions to discourage please let me know.
Thanks

How big is your dog? One idea, if your pup is larger, would be to cover the litter box with a really huge cardboard box that has an opening cut in one side, then face the opening towards the wall allowing for enough space for the cat to get through, but not the dog.

If you have a small dog, then I have no idea. :shrug: